USB Host mode - Working Devices (a list)

Guest bazzlad

Guest amarko5

freecom data bar (usb Stick)

x pro usb mobile laser mouse (wired)

sandisk micromate sdhc card reader

Western digital 250gig usb powered external 2.5 inch harddisk NO GO lights but not enough power to read. (have not tried with a powered hub yet but guess it will work)

cruzer micro usb stick ok

staples u3 smart 4 gig usb stick ok

You have Scrubs in 1080p????? You sure you don't mean 720p?

I have the Blu-ray it is 1080p. These were done from the Blu-ray in 1080p took ages to convert.

Edited by remlap

Guest debs626
freecom data bar (usb Stick)

x pro usb mobile laser mouse (wired)

sandisk micromate sdhc card reader

Western digital 250gig usb powered external 2.5 inch harddisk NO GO lights but not enough power to read. (have not tried with a powered hub yet but guess it will work)

cruzer micro usb stick ok

staples u3 smart 4 gig usb stick ok

Re- the WD 2.5 hard drive, I have a portable hardrive/mp3 player that lights up but the Vega can't see it ......... wonder if its because its not formatted to fat32 ?

Just to add also

Both my Phone (Xperia x10) and iPod Touch charge via the USB

Guest thedicemaster

anything formatted in NTFS or exFAT is guaranteed not to work.

exFAT is windows-exclusive, and NTFS is only supported on windows and full linux distro's.

linux filesystems might be supported(such as ext2/3/4, note that if it can use ext3/4 it will be without the benefits of those filesystems, so they are no better than ext2)

to format your hard-drive for use with the vega you'll need to download a 3rd party formatting tool in newer versions of windows.

I dont own a Tablet myself but from what i read you can use CIFS or something else to mount an netwerkshare ?

If so i would say there are lot of ways to not use NTFS and be still able to use files over 4GB.

1. maybe there is a formating tool for android ? (ext2 or xfs when android support it as extfs is damn slow at big files)

2. If you have only Windows on an pc. install an vmware image (maybe from vmware player) and format the hdd unter linux

3. if you have an pc with linux format the hdd there and move the files you want on it an connect it than to your tablet.

I would use an quickport with hdd or usb connected as its easy to switch the media.

Anyone with an Tablet tested maybe dreamDroid with Vplayer (both on google market) to stream tv from an enigma2 receiver like dreambox 800/8000/500 or VU+ Duo ?

Vplayer plays on my HTC Desire mkv's but the phone is to slow for HD mkv's.

Guest trevor432990
I dont own a Tablet myself but from what i read you can use CIFS or something else to mount an netwerkshare ?

If so i would say there are lot of ways to not use NTFS and be still able to use files over 4GB.

1. maybe there is a formating tool for android ? (ext2 or xfs when android support it as extfs is damn slow at big files)

2. If you have only Windows on an pc. install an vmware image (maybe from vmware player) and format the hdd unter linux

3. if you have an pc with linux format the hdd there and move the files you want on it an connect it than to your tablet.

I would use an quickport with hdd or usb connected as its easy to switch the media.

Anyone with an Tablet tested maybe dreamDroid with Vplayer (both on google market) to stream tv from an enigma2 receiver like dreambox 800/8000/500 or VU+ Duo ?

Vplayer plays on my HTC Desire mkv's but the phone is to slow for HD mkv's.

Kira think you'd best start a new topic for the NTFS alternative as it's a bit off topic here but a very valid and interesting subject for people to discuss from scratch. The video bits would be better off tabled in one of the video topics. Cheers

Guest marmankites

GoPro HD

WORKS!

This has just turned my vega into an epic filming device, Review footage whilst at the beach etc!

Can play Files off sd card in full res

Noticed something I just upgraded to new official Kernel and r5 rom and now USB button shows docking_usb and system_usb before it would just go to the root.

Guess this was added in preparation for the dock.

Guest thedicemaster

another unusual mass-storage device can be added to the list: PSP(go)

if you use USB connection on the PSPgo only 1 of the 2 storage devices can be mounted in android, but you can still access both.

for access to the memorystick, just plug the PSPgo in and enter USB connection mode.

for access to the PSPgo internal storage, remove the memorystick first and then plug the PSPgo in and enter USB connection mode.

Guest thedicemaster

looks like drawing tablets semi-work.(trust, wacom, etc.)

the drivers seem to be there(indicator light responds as if the driver is installed and working) but android doesn't know what to use the input for.

Guest mattlokes

My 320GB 2.5" USB HDD WORKS , it even powers off the Vega USB Port Fine!

If anyone is interested I put it together from a startech enclosure from ebuyer

and my old 320GB Hitachi HDD from my Vostro V13.

It works beautifully, did have to be formatted as FAT32 though.

Guest s.morris

Ok since paul has done the usb host \ Slave switcher I can confirm the following work ok

Western digital My Passport usb hard drive no power needed was playing video from it ok

Vivitar vivicam 5199 camera was able to remove pictures ok

sd card in a little sd to usb reader works fine

worked ok for me to

Steve

Edited by s.morris

Guest removed-14

Just tried a generic 2.5" hard drive enclosure with usb hub but it doesn't have enough juice. I can also confirm that a HTC Desire doesn't work, it appears to charge but no sign of it showing up for file access.

Guest thedicemaster
Just tried a generic 2.5" hard drive enclosure with usb hub but it doesn't have enough juice. I can also confirm that a HTC Desire doesn't work, it appears to charge but no sign of it showing up for file access.

2.5" drives rarely ever work with usb hubs anyway.

even a desktop PC won't do that.

I've just tried a generic USB/ compact flash reader and it worked. Reads the Jpgs from the 7D OK a little slow though, next is to try RAW+Jpg. I know It won't be able to read the RAW files just wondering if it'll see them or cause it to stop working.

But the big thing I'd love would to be able to use it as a monitor on the 7D, great for shooting video. Changing the HDMI to input!

UPDATE.

Right as suspected it can see RAW files but not read them. I also tried video right from the Canon 7D both 1080p 25fps and 720p 50fps, neither worked, it couldn't keep up with the frame rate. Now that could be the player I had to download as the default doesn't play .mov files will try at the lowest resolution 640x480 50fps.

Edited by Drizz