Dissapointed with the Nexus S so Desire HD it may be

Guest masterpfa

Guest masterpfa

Hi

Having waited to see what the Nexus S had to deliver I must say I am somewhat disappointed with the final release. :)

It has been an anti-climax and I had held off the getting the Desire HD once the rumours of the Google phones had surfaced.

Now that it's out and for my needs I feel the Desire HD is more than sufficient. So just a question to those that do have a DHD especially if you have owned an android phone before, how does it compare, what problems, benefits have you experienced. Would be interested to here from anyone who has had the pleasure of comparing the DHD to the Nexus 1 especially.

So peeps what lovelies does the Desire HD have to offer? ;)

Guest johnboyw
Hi

Having waited to see what the Nexus S had to deliver I must say I am somewhat disappointed with the final release. :)

It has been an anti-climax and I had held off the getting the Desire HD once the rumours of the Google phones had surfaced.

Now that it's out and for my needs I feel the Desire HD is more than sufficient. So just a question to those that do have a DHD especially if you have owned an android phone before, how does it compare, what problems, benefits have you experienced. Would be interested to here from anyone who has had the pleasure of comparing the DHD to the Nexus 1 especially.

So peeps what lovelies does the Desire HD have to offer? :D

I have had several Android devices so far. I sold my Nexus and got an iPhone 4. Now i have a DHD as well. The iPhone is back in its box!

I too wanted the follow up to my Nexus. I was very disappointed when i found out Samsung were making it. I expected cheap plastic and cheap plastic is how it how it looks. So i aint bothering with one.

My DHD is brill and apart from an iffy battery which isnt too much of a problem as i`m always near a mains socket i think its the phone to have at the mo.

It has lots to offer like, a big screen which does look good even when compared to the iPhone retina display and the Nexus AMOLED, it looks like a bigger version of a Nexus very nice IMHO, very easy to Root and modify, plus all the usual Android goodies!

Get one go on you wont regret it... ;)

I forgot to mention, plenty of internal memory plus the new sense is spot on..

Edited by johnboyw

the new sense is good, >gingerbread in many way in my view.

DHD's build is superb too, the unibody alumninium form factor is great that u will get people constantly asking u about it when u bring it out.

battery is the biggest disappointment, however.

if compared with Nexus One, I'd say its a much better phone overall.

Guest masterpfa
Very easy to Root and modify, plus all the usual Android goodies!

Get one go on you wont regret it... ;)

I forgot to mention, plenty of internal memory plus the new sense is spot on..

Thanks just what I wanted to hear and having moved away from Sense previously, I will, with the New Sense, gladly return to the fold

:D

the new sense is good, >gingerbread in many way in my view.

DHD's build is superb too, the unibody alumninium form factor is great that u will get people constantly asking u about it when u bring it out.

battery is the biggest disappointment, however.

if compared with Nexus One, I'd say its a much better phone overall.

I suspected with all the features on this phone and the screen that the battery (being smaller than the Nexus ! if I'm right) would be an issue, but I travel to work with my charger and/or USB lead.

:)

Is the processor different to the model fitted in the Nexus 1, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was an improved 1ghz processor?

Edited by masterpfa

Had a Hero and Desire before my current DHD... and surely it's the best of the lot! (obviously much modern hardware..)

Was keeping back due to the NexusS as well.. but got it the instant they confirmed that it was still single core.

Battery still lacks, but still bit better then the Desire..

it is a LARGE mobile, fit's well in the pockets, but hope you don't have small hands :)

Build quality is great (annoying battery cover at max)

Screen readable in direct sunlight..

Touch much more responsive then Desire..

I used Launcher Pro on the Desire.. I'm back to Sense since it doesn't make it lag anymore

And yes, the 1Ghz processor is one generation forward... you'll notice the huge performance difference in 3D games pretty soon.

Thanks just what I wanted to hear and having moved away from Sense previously, I will, with the New Sense, gladly return to the fold

;)

I suspected with all the features on this phone and the screen that the battery (being smaller than the Nexus ! if I'm right) would be an issue, but I travel to work with my charger and/or USB lead.

:)

Is the processor different to the model fitted in the Nexus 1, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was an improved 1ghz processor?

The 1GHz processor in DHD is the 2nd generation Snapdragon, and its fast. ignore all the talks about hummingbird processor in Galaxy S and Nexus S being better and blah blah, its not true. In fact, that last time I check this morning, the average top linpack score for DHD is much higher than Nexus S.

having said that, the one big advantage of Nexus S is the easy to root, and in fact, unlike in Nexus One, the Nexus S bootloader can actually be unlocked and locked anytime, which can be pretty handy for ROM swapping while keeping warranty in tact.

will be able to compare it in more detail when I get my Nexus S delivered from U.S. (and before I put it back on ebay)

Edited by cezent

Guest masterpfa
Had a Hero and Desire before my current DHD... and surely it's the best of the lot! (obviously much modern hardware..)

Was keeping back due to the NexusS as well.. but got it the instant they confirmed that it was still single core.

Battery still lacks, but still bit better then the Desire..

it is a LARGE mobile, fit's well in the pockets, but hope you don't have small hands ;)

Build quality is great (annoying battery cover at max)

Screen readable in direct sunlight..

Touch much more responsive then Desire..

I used Launcher Pro on the Desire.. I'm back to Sense since it doesn't make it lag anymore

And yes, the 1Ghz processor is one generation forward... you'll notice the huge performance difference in 3D games pretty soon.

Thanks for that. The size would be OK for me and my hands :)

It's looking like this may indeed be my next phone, especially as a work mate who I only ever talk too over the phone keeps bragging about it and his isn't even rooted yet.

Guest masterpfa
The 1GHz processor in DHD is the 2nd generation Snapdragon, and its fast. ignore all the talks about hummingbird processor in Galaxy S and Nexus S being better and blah blah, its not true. In fact, that last time I check this morning, the average top linpack score for DHD is much higher than Nexus S.

having said that, the one big advantage of Nexus S is the easy to root, and in fact, unlike in Nexus One, the Nexus S bootloader can actually be unlocked and locked anytime, which can be pretty handy for ROM swapping while keeping warranty in tact.

will be able to compare it in more detail when I get my Nexus S delivered from U.S. (and before I put it back on ebay)

I'll be looking out for your thoughts on the Nexus S, just out of interest. Glad to hear that the new processor in the DHD is super fast too. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Omen
Hi

Having waited to see what the Nexus S had to deliver I must say I am somewhat disappointed with the final release. :(

So peeps what lovelies does the Desire HD have to offer? ;)

Hi,

Have a dhd bought the nexus s....compared...nexus s is horrible...nothing really new then the nexus one apart from nfc and few minor features.

Maps not working in my country (dubai)...on nexus s but working great on the dhd.

Sense makes user experience much better on dhd...nexus s is very simple and I feel I am using my nexus one (yes I have that as well)...dhd just wins hands down...its better hardware wise as well as use wise...gingerbread is not what I thought it would be as I had been waiting a long time for it...now I think froyo is as good.

The internet experience is also better on dhd as I found the nexus s internet experience was as if I was using my desire(yes I have the HTC desire as well)...so there u go...have used the nexus one, HTC desire, HTC desire hd, and nexus s...winner HTC desire hd.

One last point nexus s does not even detect apn settings automatically ..had to manually enter settings before I couldn't a 3g network...disgusting.

Regards,

Nazir.

Guest AndyCr15
I expected cheap plastic and cheap plastic is how it how it looks. So i aint bothering with one.

Out of interest, how does cheap plastic differ from expensive plastic?

One last point nexus s does not even detect apn settings automatically ..had to manually enter settings before I couldn't a 3g network...disgusting.

Kind of a silly comment. Has nothing to do with the phone. I don't think any phone 'detects' settings. You either add them, or someone else adds them (in software).

Really? No-one has ever asked about my uni-body :unsure: I would disagree about build quality. Mine creaks and moans if I press different areas. The Nexus S feels solid.

I'm thinking of doing an post on DHD vs SNS as it's the hardest decisions I've had to make when choosing between two phones. (N1 v Desire, N1 v Streak, N1 v SGS, SGS v DHD)

I started thinking I would keep the DHD. I really like the Sense interface and love the huge screen size. Hold the SNS next to the DHD and the screen of the DHD looks terrible. B) I think the build quality of the SNS is better (why people get upset by plastic, I don't know). My DHD once came out of the car dock leaving the battery cover behind, for example.

I think generally the DHD wins on power, but battery life on the SNS smashes the DHD. I think the DHD has the edge as far as the camera.

I thought I'd changed my mind to keep the SNS, but each time I pick up and use the DHD I love how big everything looks on it's screen! Oh I don't know... :angry:

So, you just need to decide what's important and what suits you...

Edited by AndyCr15