Archos 101 keyboard for vega

Guest neucleotide

Guest neucleotide

Hey guys,

If like me you've been having issues with the keyboard on the vega (large size and lack of cursor keys) there is a solution, albeit a crude one. I have ripped the keyboard files from the archos 101 and I post them here. The apk should be pushed to /system/app/ and the .so pushed to /system/lib/.

DOING THIS WILL BREAK ANDROID KEYBOARD SETTINGS (but is there anything in there anyway? :))

if anyone could give an insight into why that is and how to fix it that would be much appreciated. Even with the bugs I feel this is a big improvement over the stock vega keyboard.

Cheers,

N

Archos_keyboard.zip

Guest warriorscot

Why don't you just use a replacement keyboard. Most of them are way better than any of the stock ones you can get. The general consensus whenever it comes up seems to be smart keyboard pro is the best but I've also used(and uploaded to the forum) the tapntap keyboard which is also an improvement over the standard.

Guest neucleotide
Why don't you just use a replacement keyboard. Most of them are way better than any of the stock ones you can get. The general consensus whenever it comes up seems to be smart keyboard pro is the best but I've also used(and uploaded to the forum) the tapntap keyboard which is also an improvement over the standard.

Totally love your tapntap keyboard, I just thought the archos 101 keyboard was pretty good and very close to stock... any idea why what i did broke keyboard settings? Its something to do with libjni_latinime.so I think.

i'll give smart keyboard pro a go, cheers!

N

Guest warriorscot

Can't really say much about how you broke it, I have avoided anything that couldn't be installed in an apk just because things don't necessarily transfer well 1:1 there are going to be variables that I don't know enough about android to account for. Its the same reason I haven't tried the gingerbread keyboard yet I quite like the tapntap myself and used it for a while but the extra settings available in smart keyboard pro swung it for me as it is much more customisable.

Honestly at the moment what I am after is working out how to get a one handed keyboard that works in landscape mode. Its a pain trying to hold the vega and type on a big keyboard in landscape what I really want is to have a roughly portrait size keyboard that I can move about the screen or even rotate so I can hold and type quickly at the same time. But so far I haven't found anything like that that doesn't use some weird typing method.

Guest neucleotide
Can't really say much about how you broke it, I have avoided anything that couldn't be installed in an apk just because things don't necessarily transfer well 1:1 there are going to be variables that I don't know enough about android to account for. Its the same reason I haven't tried the gingerbread keyboard yet I quite like the tapntap myself and used it for a while but the extra settings available in smart keyboard pro swung it for me as it is much more customisable.

Honestly at the moment what I am after is working out how to get a one handed keyboard that works in landscape mode. Its a pain trying to hold the vega and type on a big keyboard in landscape what I really want is to have a roughly portrait size keyboard that I can move about the screen or even rotate so I can hold and type quickly at the same time. But so far I haven't found anything like that that doesn't use some weird typing method.

Sounds like I should wait until apps are ported properly, that said the gingerbread keyboard works flawlessly but its no improvement over tapntap. Its not hard to get working if you feel like replacing the stock keyboard.

Cheers for your help

N

• 5 months later...