Vega Bootscreens

Guest JordanT92

Guest JordanT92
Nice... Thanks for figuring this out.

Kind of think you should have this audio clip along with it though http://titan08.free.fr/Boot%20Sounds/Sega%...%20-%20Boot.wav

Tee hee...

Convert it to an .OGG file and there is a folder in framework-res.apk/assets/ that has bootsounds in, replace the first one of them and it should play, in theory... I'm in work at the moment so I can't test or find the exact file, but if you want to give it a shot, it shouldn't do much harm... Keep ADB on in Android and if you can't get past boot, ADB should stay on and if anything fails, you can push the original framework-res.apk and restart.

Guest JordanT92
Just played around with that leather theme got a couple coming up

Nice :) I'm gonna have a go at making a few more later. Btw, for the people who decide to use any of the above, resize them to 1024x600 or they will be way too large for the Vega, and will have a hefty filesize too.

Hi,

Hacked together a few images - 5 seconds is all but, I like my Powered by etc.

modacovega.png

I might look at working up something funkier later.

Tip for those making boot screens - flatten your layers even if using Fireworks (select flattened png) and keep the file sizes down.

Edited by Guest

Guest JordanT92

I personally like these wallpapers, which have to be resized and cropped to 1024x600 before use:

Android_Wallpaper_by_clondike7.png

Android-Clouds-Light-Blue-1024x853.png

Is there anyone here that can create an Android application that can change bootscreens on a whim? I can create an application for Windows that could change the bootscreen (any format converted to PNG) and bootsound (any format converted to RAW) over ADB, and optionally use NVFLASH to flash a backup to the Vega if broken.

Guest English Haze

I want to be sure I get this right so, a question; when I update the pulled framework-res.apk and replace the png image file using either 7zip on Windows or Xarchiver on Linux the replaced file shows in the archive as using compression method defN (deflate) when it was originally Stor (and the other files are also using the Stor method). Will this matter when I push the apk file back to the tablet?

My first attempt caused debug on the tablet to FC with a very weird message and I hastily put the original apk file back and all was well so I don't want to screw it up and have to re-flash.

Edited by English Haze

Guest terminaljunkie

Nice!

Think I'll give this a shot...

UPDATE:

Well I'm running the 1.6 stock and Paul's latest update with performance pack etc and no matter how many times I have tried, I simply cannot get enough free space to get the update in. What is odd is that I cannot get the original framework-res.apk into place and have done at least half a dozen rebuilds from stock through the MoDaCo build etc.

Question:

Do I extract *all* of the files from the original framework-res.apk into a directory and then replace and rebuild the whole APK or just that one file? If the latter how did you do this if successful with all latest builds?

BTW: I did notice that the free 7zip software can recreate the file using STORE for anyone wo is interested!

Many thanks for any feedback.

Edited by terminaljunkie

Guest boffboff

*ANIMATED BOOTSCREEN*

Animated 'VEGA' bootscreen with either a red or green bar.

If you want to use them rename to 'android-logo-mask.png' and 'android-logo-shine.png' *make sure you use dashes as they were changed to underscores when I uploaded the pics.

post-798683-1293335007_thumb.png

Red bar:post-798683-1293335018_thumb.png

Green bar: post-798683-1293335027_thumb.png

Guest cultiv8ed
Oh yeh, be careful to ensure you have enough space in the NAND, because if you don't, it won't copy, the original framework-res.apk will be screwed, ADB will stop and no programs will open, then you'll get a black screen when rebooting and will have to flash a stock rom. But you shouldn't really have many problems..

This just happened to me. I couldn't get the framework-res.apk to copy back across even though it was 2mb smaller and i'd removed ringtones, etc. /system was reporting 36k free. Luckily I had a recently clockworkmod backup so I did a reflash, installed pauls mod then clockworkmod and restored.

Guest boffboff
I want to be sure I get this right so, a question; when I update the pulled framework-res.apk and replace the png image file using either 7zip on Windows or Xarchiver on Linux the replaced file shows in the archive as using compression method defN (deflate) when it was originally Stor (and the other files are also using the Stor method). Will this matter when I push the apk file back to the tablet?

My first attempt caused debug on the tablet to FC with a very weird message and I hastily put the original apk file back and all was well so I don't want to screw it up and have to re-flash.

I just drag and drop from explorer to the framework-res opened in 7zip and have never had any issues. I'm using the default options in 7zip.

HTH!

Guest s.morris

Hi Guys

5. Replace android-logo-mask.png with your bootscreen and save the apk in the same format, overwriting the original.

I am presuming that I have to rename my boot screen to the above name, Which i have done, sent the files back over to the vega and all seemed ok, But the boot image doesn't show on bootup :(.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong

• downloaded a .jpg image from this thread
    loaded it up in Paint shop pro and saved it as android-logo-mask.png (1024x640)
    extracting the framework-res.apk from the Vega
    rename .apk to zip
    find the file in zip
    replace file with my renamed boot screen file
    rename zip file to .apk
    send it back to Vega
    reboot

Problem is no boot image at all ;) any one have any ideas

Steve

Guest boffboff
Hi Guys

I am presuming that I have to rename my boot screen to the above name, Which i have done, sent the files back over to the vega and all seemed ok, But the boot image doesn't show on bootup :(.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong

• downloaded a .jpg image from this thread
    loaded it up in Paint shop pro and saved it as android-logo-mask.png (1024x640)
    extracting the framework-res.apk from the Vega
    rename .apk to zip
    find the file in zip
    replace file with my renamed boot screen file
    rename zip file to .apk
    send it back to Vega
    reboot

Problem is no boot image at all ;) any one have any ideas

Steve

As a test I would try simply editing the stock 'android-logo-mask.png' in framework-res, re-inserting it, then pushing framework-res back onto the Vega.

If that works then the problem must be with your image. I *think* android-logo-mask is a 32bit PNG and android-logo-shine is a 24bit PNg, going off the originals (this is all from memory). So hopefully one of those tips will put you right!

Edit to add: Also there's no need to rename your framework-res.apk to .zip, just right-click it, and on the context menu go to 7-zip (or WinZip) and select Open Archive from the submenu.

Happy New Year!

Edited by boffboff