Selecting text in browser and easier input?

Guest mutasim

Guest mutasim

I have a HTC Hero and a Desire, they both allow text to be selected (and then copied/shared/searched) even in non-native browsers such as Dolphin, this can't be done on the Vega currently (running r5).

Also both phones have a physical scrollball/pad, means if you are editing text because of a spelling mistake or adding bits, you can press the rough location and scroll left/right to get the text input blinker exactly where you want it. The Vega doesn't have the hardware, but I have used a Desire ROM where a magnified guide appears when you press down to help you get to the right bit. Update: I was thinking a keyboard with direction arrows would be a solution, but it would still be nice to see this natively

Oh and another thing I miss (while I'm at it.. ;) ) auto resizing of paragraphs on webpages even in Dolphin.

Is this achievable without the source code? If not is there a way we can have a list of feature requests for when a custom ROM is in the works?

:)

Edited by mutasim

Guest warriorscot

Not sure about all of it but smart keyboard pro has arrow keys if you want them and you can use a swipe gesture over the keyboard to move the cursor left or right if you set it up that way. Not to sure about the rest can't say I've noticed it but you raise interesting points.

Guest mutasim
Yeah I used Smart Keyboard Pro for the cursor keys.

You can long-press on the text input box to copy/paste aswell, if that's what you meant.

I mean copy/paste text outside of a text input box, so on a webpage

Guest boffboff

I saw an app yesterday specifically for copy/pasting ANY TEXT viewable on the screen.

From the screenshot it looked as though it ran in the background, then it was invoked via a swipe gesture or something.

I didn't download it though so can't remember what it was called sorry!

This hasn't helped at all really has it!

Try searching the market for 'clipboard' or 'copy and paste'...

Guest English Haze

It's called "Copy Paste It" and it's a paid app (£4.49) and it works really well.

There's a trial version that lets you do 10 copy/paste actions to try it out. It basically takes a screen capture of an area of the display and then processes it with OCR software to extract the text. It should, in theory, grab any readable text from any area of the screen including text in images. It has trouble with image text at an angle though.

I might shell out the cash for this. It could be really useful and save a lot of effort.

Guest Cwmdu86

Just checked and you can select text in dolphin or the default browser by selecting the menu icon on the top bar then selecting more. Select text is there along with add bookmark, find on page, save page etc..

Guest warriorscot

Android 2.3 has the whole copy and paste thing totally redone. Might be worth waiting for it to be brought over to the Vega rather than paying for an expensive app.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smccrirr

I installed the trial version of"Copy on paste it" on my Vega and the selection box is just blacked out and I can not select any text, has any one else got this app working on the Vega?

Guest smccrirr
It's called "Copy Paste It" and it's a paid app (£4.49) and it works really well.

There's a trial version that lets you do 10 copy/paste actions to try it out. It basically takes a screen capture of an area of the display and then processes it with OCR software to extract the text. It should, in theory, grab any readable text from any area of the screen including text in images. It has trouble with image text at an angle though.

I might shell out the cash for this. It could be really useful and save a lot of effort.

Did you get this working on the Vega I just get a black selection box?

Guest English Haze
Did you get this working on the Vega I just get a black selection box?

Unfortunately not. I got the same result which is a shame as it works really well on my phone.

• 4 years later...
Guest mikelilin
On 12/21/2010, 9:16:12, English Haze said:

Unfortunately, the result is the same, however it give me another idea to resolve the problem.