Asking help for OTA update for Rooted N1

Guest manylam

Guest manylam

I got a rooted Nexus One and enable the bootloader, now I'm using the Build Number "MoDaCo Custrom ROM r21 for the Google Nexus One (FRF91)"

About half a month before, I start receiving the OTA update for FRF83. after I press install the update, N1 restart and then return to the bootloader page (the black background & Green text) and stay there.

Resulting that my N1 is fail to update.

I have tried quite a number of signed update files, one of them is the following,

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...-root-insecure/

with trying the files of "FRF91->FRG83 patch zip"

but verification fails and fail to update.

now the OTA update is keep popping up and ask me to update, that is really disturbing. :)

Would anybody please help to solve my problems, like unable the bootloader temporary for OTA update, or tell me the method to have OTA update even with the bootloader.

Thanks a lot

Guest crawler9

As you have a custom ROM and recovery, you can not install a OTA update. Gingerbread will be coming soon, but if you can't wait and want to upgrade to the latest version available now, you could update to MoDaCo Custom ROM r24 which is based on the latest OTA update. That will stop any OTA update notifications.

Guest manylam
As you have a custom ROM and recovery, you can not install a OTA update. Gingerbread will be coming soon, but if you can't wait and want to upgrade to the latest version available now, you could update to MoDaCo Custom ROM r24 which is based on the latest OTA update. That will stop any OTA update notifications.

But, the last time I update to FRF91 is from the signed files from... maybe xda, there is some ways to update the system and without wipe all things and then fresh the rom again.

You know reinstall things and getting back those installed things are quite troublesome. :)

But if there is no ways to solve, I then will wait until the Gingerbread comes and fresh a new rom. ;)

Guest crawler9
But, the last time I update to FRF91 is from the signed files from... maybe xda, there is some ways to update the system and without wipe all things and then fresh the rom again.

You know reinstall things and getting back those installed things are quite troublesome. :)

But if there is no ways to solve, I then will wait until the Gingerbread comes and fresh a new rom. ;)

Titanium backup is a great application. It can save you a lot of time when you do have to start over. Anyway I don't think you would have to wipe to install r24.

What you are asking is simply not possible. An official OTA update is meant to modify and/or replace files from an official ROM. You are using a custom ROM, with already modified files. How should an OTA update modify those without breaking everything?

lcg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest manylam
What you are asking is simply not possible. An official OTA update is meant to modify and/or replace files from an official ROM. You are using a custom ROM, with already modified files. How should an OTA update modify those without breaking everything?

lcg

Thanks for telling me that, but then how about if I ask for ways to stop OTA update keep popping up?

That's annoying. :unsure: and eat RAM a lot

I always think that should be quite a common problems for most people have custom rom, but seems only a little people have problem with that.

Guest crawler9
Thanks for telling me that, but then how about if I ask for ways to stop OTA update keep popping up?

That's annoying. :D and eat RAM a lot

I always think that should be quite a common problems for most people have custom rom, but seems only a little people have problem with that.

Upgrade to the latest version of the custom ROM. You don't need to wipe and the update nag will stop.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jsl.com
Upgrade to the latest version of the custom ROM. You don't need to wipe and the update nag will stop.

That's great advice but it assumes that the latest version of the custom ROM has a kernel that is current. In the case of the Nexus One and the Modaco Custom ROM, there hasn't been an update since November 2010 and there has been an OTA update available for weeks. There is a hack posted on another thread that will make the OTA update stop bugging you if you want to keep your MCR. Otherwise you can restore a stock ROM and let it OTA update to the current release (and lose all of the benefits of having a custom ROM).

Alternatively you can get a different custom ROM from the XDA developers site. They seem to update their ROMs a *LOT* more often than Paul does.

I hope that this information has been helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest warxsnake
That's great advice but it assumes that the latest version of the custom ROM has a kernel that is current. In the case of the Nexus One and the Modaco Custom ROM, there hasn't been an update since November 2010 and there has been an OTA update available for weeks. There is a hack posted on another thread that will make the OTA update stop bugging you if you want to keep your MCR. Otherwise you can restore a stock ROM and let it OTA update to the current release (and lose all of the benefits of having a custom ROM).

Alternatively you can get a different custom ROM from the XDA developers site. They seem to update their ROMs a *LOT* more often than Paul does.

I hope that this information has been helpful.

Hi!

I've been trying for the longest time to get rid of modaco custom ROM on my phone since it doesnt really benefit me anymore. The reason I decided to go custom was for the Desire HTC sense UI, but since some appstore widgets do a better job these days, there is no need to have a custom setup (in my case).

Again I've been trying to get back into a default state, so basically an official ROM which will once again let me OTA.

Can you elaborate on the process? Do I wipe everything, find an official ROM, and then answer the OTA? I remember trying that once and it gave me a verification failure, probably because of the custom recovery. RIght now I'm on R24 FRG83D.

Thanks!

Edited by warxsnake

Guest crawler9
Hi!

I've been trying for the longest time to get rid of modaco custom ROM on my phone since it doesnt really benefit me anymore. The reason I decided to go custom was for the Desire HTC sense UI, but since some appstore widgets do a better job these days, there is no need to have a custom setup (in my case).

Again I've been trying to get back into a default state, so basically an official ROM which will once again let me OTA.

Can you elaborate on the process? Do I wipe everything, find an official ROM, and then answer the OTA? I remember trying that once and it gave me a verification failure, probably because of the custom recovery. RIght now I'm on R24 FRG83D.

Thanks!

You should probably have made a new topic but I'll answer anyway. The easiest way would be to find and download the a stock ROM available in PASSIMG format also known as image format . I know FRG33 works, but I think I remember having issues with FRG83 images. You can get them from http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...-root-insecure/. After you download it, rename it PASSIMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Reboot while holding the volume down button and follow the prompts to "update". Your phone will be wiped and everything including your recovery image will be replaced with the stock version. You can then get OTA updates to the latest version.

Edited by crawler9