Upgrading Hungarian 2.1 + FLB 1.0 to UK 2.1 + cm6 AIO4

Guest Trebor Rude

Guest Trebor Rude

Hello, all,

Despite the San Francisco being out and within my range of affordability, I remain on my Pulse in hopes that by the time I'm well sick and tired of it (or it flat-out dies), there will be something even better available.

My problem is that I've been out of the upgrade scene for a while. I'm still running the Hungarian 2.1 ROM with FLB 1.0 on top. I'd like to upgrade to the UK 2.1 ROM with cm6 AIO v4 on top. I've got a plan to get from here to there, but I'd like the community to review it first, just to make sure I haven't missed anything. Here's my current configuration:

• Hungarian 2.1
  • FLB 1.0
  • ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.4
  • Apps2SD version 2.7.5 preview fix 1
  • Programs run from SD card
  • Private Programs run from SD card
  • 95 apps installed (not that I actually use all of them...)
  • Dalvik runs from SD card
  • NO swap
  • 16 GiB SD card with two partitions: 512MiB ext2 apps / cache and the rest FAT32

Configuration I'd like:
    • UK 2.1 (I've got the Pulse Android21.zip from a while back)
    • cm6 AIO v4
    • Swap and/or compcahe enabled (I know there's a fair bit of debate about which is better, seems like a bit of both works best from what I've read)
    • Not sure if I want Apps2SD or if I should just stick with Froyo's version

Given the massive nature of this upgrade, I believe I'll basically have to start from scratch. Here's what I've got planned:

Prep for upgrade to UK 2.1 ROM. Backup and restore the phone to as close to normal as I can get it.
      1. Titanium backup of everything.
      2. Backup SD card to computer.
      3. Backup contacts and SMS database to computer (yes, I'm paranoid, but if I lost everything except contacts and SMS, I'd be happy)
      4. Nandroid backup? Not sure if I'll bother, since I'm moving to a new base ROM. Maybe this could save me if the update goes badly?
      5. Move cache back to phone
      6. Move apps back to phone (deleting whatever is necessary to make room)

Upgrade to UK 2.1 ROM

[*]Repartition SD card to a single FAT32 partition (haven't decided if I'll use ClockworkMod or my computer to repartition)

[*]Copy UK 2.1 ROM to SD card

[*]Do upgrade

Assuming that works well, upgrade to cm6 AIO v4. This is where things get a bit fuzzy for me.

[*]Install ClockworkMod recovery via fastboot. It seems simpler than using ROMManager at this stage.

[*]Repartition again for 32 (64?) MiB swap, 512 MiB ext2 (just in case I eventually decide to go beyond Froyo's A2SD), and the remainder FAT32.

[*]Flash cm6 AIO v4

[*] Restore SD card FAT32 from computer backup.

[*]Install Titanium Backup from Market

[*]Restore bits and pieces, seeing what affect it has on available space.

[*]Enjoy Froyo on my Pulse!

So, what do you all think? Will I get there, or have I missed something important? Thanks for your comments. I'll update the plan in this post as necessary, and let you all know how it goes once I attempt it.

Trebor

Guest Richard_Arkless
Hello, all,

Despite the San Francisco being out and within my range of affordability, I remain on my Pulse in hopes that by the time I'm well sick and tired of it (or it flat-out dies), there will be something even better available.

My problem is that I've been out of the upgrade scene for a while. I'm still running the Hungarian 2.1 ROM with FLB 1.0 on top. I'd like to upgrade to the UK 2.1 ROM with cm6 AIO v4 on top. I've got a plan to get from here to there, but I'd like the community to review it first, just to make sure I haven't missed anything. Here's my current configuration:

• Hungarian 2.1
  • FLB 1.0
  • ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.4
  • Apps2SD version 2.7.5 preview fix 1
  • Programs run from SD card
  • Private Programs run from SD card
  • 95 apps installed (not that I actually use all of them...)
  • Dalvik runs from SD card
  • NO swap
  • 16 GiB SD card with two partitions: 512MiB ext2 apps / cache and the rest FAT32
    • UK 2.1 (I've got the Pulse Android21.zip from a while back)
    • cm6 AIO v4
    • Swap and/or compcahe enabled (I know there's a fair bit of debate about which is better, seems like a bit of both works best from what I've read)
    • Not sure if I want Apps2SD or if I should just stick with Froyo's version

Prep for upgrade to UK 2.1 ROM. Backup and restore the phone to as close to normal as I can get it.
      1. Titanium backup of everything.
      2. Backup SD card to computer.
      3. Backup contacts and SMS database to computer (yes, I'm paranoid, but if I lost everything except contacts and SMS, I'd be happy)
      4. Nandroid backup? Not sure if I'll bother, since I'm moving to a new base ROM. Maybe this could save me if the update goes badly?
      5. Move cache back to phone
      6. Move apps back to phone (deleting whatever is necessary to make room)
      Upgrade to UK 2.1 ROM

[*]Repartition SD card to a single FAT32 partition (haven't decided if I'll use ClockworkMod or my computer to repartition)

[*]Copy UK 2.1 ROM to SD card

[*]Do upgrade

Assuming that works well, upgrade to cm6 AIO v4. This is where things get a bit fuzzy for me.

[*]Install ClockworkMod recovery via fastboot. It seems simpler than using ROMManager at this stage.

[*]Repartition again for 32 (64?) MiB swap, 512 MiB ext2 (just in case I eventually decide to go beyond Froyo's A2SD), and the remainder FAT32.

[*]Flash cm6 AIO v4

[*] Restore SD card FAT32 from computer backup.

[*]Install Titanium Backup from Market

[*]Restore bits and pieces, seeing what affect it has on available space.

[*]Enjoy Froyo on my Pulse!

So, what do you all think? Will I get there, or have I missed something important? Thanks for your comments. I'll update the plan in this post as necessary, and let you all know how it goes once I attempt it.

Trebor

Let me decrease the steps for you

1. backup apps using titanium and everything else (you dont need to move cache and apps back to the phone's partitions)

2. download the uk 2.1 official update and put it on your sd card and upgrade (you dont need to repartition your sd card to 1 partition, it will still boot it just wont see the ext partition)

3. flash clockwork through fastboot and partition your sd card (64mb swap is fine for me, 256mb ext2, I got hundreds of apps and I havent ran out of space and the remainder for fat)

4. wipe everything

5. flash the rom and then restore your apps, and stuff like that

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Trebor Rude

1. backup apps using titanium and everything else (you dont need to move cache and apps back to the phone's partitions)

2. download the uk 2.1 official update and put it on your sd card and upgrade (you dont need to repartition your sd card to 1 partition, it will still boot it just wont see the ext partition)

3. flash clockwork through fastboot and partition your sd card (64mb swap is fine for me, 256mb ext2, I got hundreds of apps and I havent ran out of space and the remainder for fat)

4. wipe everything

That seems simpler than my plan, I admit. Some of my steps were based on posts I've read previously of people having problems with failed updates. Not sure I could find those posts again, though.

If the UK 2.1 update applies successfully, is there any need to boot it? If not, I shouldn't need to wipe anything, as it will all be squeaky clean after the UK ROM and repartition. Of course, it wouldn't really do any harm, either.

Thanks for the advice, Richard.

Guest Richard_Arkless
That seems simpler than my plan, I admit. Some of my steps were based on posts I've read previously of people having problems with failed updates. Not sure I could find those posts again, though.

If the UK 2.1 update applies successfully, is there any need to boot it? If not, I shouldn't need to wipe anything, as it will all be squeaky clean after the UK ROM and repartition. Of course, it wouldn't really do any harm, either.

Thanks for the advice, Richard.

Ive always done it that way and I havent had any problems yet (except I dont like to backup my apps as I like to start afresh)

You will need to boot to remove the 2.1 update from the microsd because if you boot into fastboot with the update still on there then it will apply that update again

and yes you will need to wipe

Edited by Richard_Arkless

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trebor Rude

4. wipe everything

Well, it worked like a champ. I actually skipped the partitioning step because it was getting late and I didn't feel like pulling the SD card out to partition it on the computer (I forgot Clockwork Recovery doesn't have a partitioning option). So, I don't have swap, but only FAT / ext2 partitions. I'll repartition after work tonight. I shouldn't need to wipe anything, should I? I'm using the default CM settings, so I don't think anything is stored on the card just yet.