video calls - iphone to vega, which works

Guest rockrat

Guest rockrat

hi,

i really want to speak to the kids via videocall when away each week on business, thats one of the major reasons why i got the vega.

i have an iphone 4 (work supplied) but now seem to be struggling to find a solution that will work video in particular both ways.

skype has no video call

Fring seems to work one way, i.e the iphone sends the video to the vega, but not the other way

are there are suggestions please?

Edited by rockrat

Guest montage
hi,

i really want to speak to the kids via videocall when away each week on business, thats one of the major reasons why i got the vega.

i have an iphone 4 (work supplied) but now seem to be struggling to find a solution that will work video in particular both ways.

skype has no video call

Fring seems to work one way, i.e the iphone sends the video to the vega, but not the other way

are there are suggestions please?

Yahoo messenger works video calling both ways.. tried and tested

Guest rockrat
theres tango but im not sure if that wil work without a 3g connection. Has anybody tried oovoo?

Not sure if everyone has understood my original question.

I need a video messenger service that will send video calls between the vega and an iphone.

obviosly the iphone via 3g, the vega by wifi.

So. Yahoo messenger, does that do what i need?

Thanks to all in advance

Guest Tony Williams
Oh, weird!

Yahoo / Tango seem worth a try then!

P

Yahoo messenger would seem your best bet as there is an app for Android and Iphone both of which support video calling. Not tried it myself yet though.

Regards

Tony

Guest debs626

I've just seen someone mention on twitter that Skype mobile is to get video calling from 30th Dec :) Hopefully the Android and iphone apps are out at the same time.

Guest rockrat
Yahoo messenger would seem your best bet as there is an app for Android and Iphone both of which support video calling. Not tried it myself yet though.

Regards

Tony

I cant get yahoo to work both ways, seems theres nothing at min

Guest trevor432990
I cant get yahoo to work both ways, seems theres nothing at min

I can get Yahoo to work both ways PC to Vega fine .... just going to try installing on iPhone now.

I have an old 2G iPhone so after installing Yahoo Messenger it would not show video calls as an option. If you have an iPhone 3GS/4 with iOS 4.1 you should be OK

Edited by trevor432990

Guest rockrat
I can get Yahoo to work both ways PC to Vega fine .... just going to try installing on iPhone now.

I have an old 2G iPhone so after installing Yahoo Messenger it would not show video calls as an option. If you have an iPhone 3GS/4 with iOS 4.1 you should be OK

No, having iphone 4 its still not having it

Guest trevor432990
No, having iphone 4 its still not having it

Very strange maybe another adventurous Vega & iPhone4 user will give it a try and see if they can get it to work and report back :)

Guest debs626
Very strange maybe another adventurous Vega & iPhone4 user will give it a try and see if they can get it to work and report back :)

My daughter is gettin the new iPod Touch for christmas ssssshhhhhhhh

Will test and report back after she's opend it on xmas morning ;)

Guest trevor432990

Will test and report back after she's opend it on xmas morning :)

hehe ok we'll keep mum ;)

Guest rockrat

Will test and report back after she's opend it on xmas morning :(

ok, heres hoping

Edited by rockrat

Guest trevor432990
ok, heres hoping

Hey Rockrat not sure if you've been following T4ylor's topic about Yahoo messenger but he could not do video conferencing to his kids for what turned out to be a very simple reason which was easily rectified. Here is a copy of his final post on the matter:-

"Problem solved! Maybe next time I should read the terms and conditions as it clearly states that video chat is unavailable to people under the age of 18 and seeing as I used the correct DOB for my young children it was never going to work.

On another note for anyone wanting to use the webcam for chat between 2 vega's Yahoo works a treat."

Maybe worth checking how you setup the Yahoo acounts :(

P.S. Debs also beware !!

Guest debs626

We tested Video calling with yahoo using ipod touch (new version) and the Vega. The vega app crashed on first call but after a re boot of both the vega and ipod they both worked very well, The pic wasn't very good on the vega as it was stretched on the big screen but it looked and worked very well on the ipod touch.

• 3 months later...
Guest kbyres

Yahoo messenger works video calling both ways.. tried and tested

Hi,

I got my vega on Weds and I have downloaded Yahoo Messenger on both my vega and my husbands iphone4 but i cant get them to work? I can make video calls from the iphone but the vega doesnt ring when i do and i have no option to make phone calls from the vega? Any advice because i have been trying this for hours!

Thank you

Guest simonta
Hi,

I got my vega on Weds and I have downloaded Yahoo Messenger on both my vega and my husbands iphone4 but i cant get them to work? I can make video calls from the iphone but the vega doesnt ring when i do and i have no option to make phone calls from the vega? Any advice because i have been trying this for hours!

Thank you

Sorry, doh moment! Ignore me.

Edited by simonta