General Question about Upgrading

Guest Roperband

Guest Roperband

Coming from an iPhone, I kind of wanted to get away from the whole "jailbreaking" thing. However, I'm on AT&T so my update won't be around until January.

-It seems pretty difficult to upgrade/root the Android version, is it actually as difficult as it sounds?

-Is there any chance I could ruin my phone (unlike the iPhone)?

-Should I just wait for the update or will I miss out on other things up until that point?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Roperband

Guest bmatrow
Coming from an iPhone, I kind of wanted to get away from the whole "jailbreaking" thing. However, I'm on AT&T so my update won't be around until January.

-It seems pretty difficult to upgrade/root the Android version, is it actually as difficult as it sounds?

-Is there any chance I could ruin my phone (unlike the iPhone)?

-Should I just wait for the update or will I miss out on other things up until that point?

Thanks in advance.

I also have an iphone4. And yes you CAN brick an iphone, not that I ever have but it does happen. I actually like this device because of all the extra stuff you can tinker with. IMO Stephens rom was well worth the extra effort it took to install. The task may seem difficult at first but it didn't take me long to get pretty comfortable with upgrading/downgrading and such. There are chances you could ruin your phone. To be safe, read make sure you know and pretty much understand what your doing and the risks involved BEFORE you do it. Most this stuff is easy enough with a little research.

Guest ClippinWings

Ditto this.

I'm actually a little confused by your statement: "-Is there any chance I could ruin my phone (unlike the iPhone)?"

The iPhone, to me, has a greater risk of damage...

Guest Roperband
Ditto this.

I'm actually a little confused by your statement: "-Is there any chance I could ruin my phone (unlike the iPhone)?"

The iPhone, to me, has a greater risk of damage...

I jailbroke my iPhones at least 20 times and any errors could be washed away by a simple restore. I hear a lot about "bricked" Streaks though so I'm a bit hesitant. I've never heard of a true bricked iPhone but I'm sure it's possible.

Guest Roperband
I jailbroke my iPhones at least 20 times and any errors could be washed away by a simple restore. I hear a lot about "bricked" Streaks though so I'm a bit hesitant. I've never heard of a true bricked iPhone but I'm sure it's possible.

BTW, can you guys give me a quick link to the recommended update? I don't really understand the numbers referenced and I don't have the Android lingo down yet. :)

I'd really appreciate it.

Guest Johnny82

You hear a lot about "bricked" dell streaks because people don't know what bricked means. They are throwing the word around without understanding it. I've only read of one case where someone truly bricked their streak. Otherwise, everyone else who "bricked" their streak are actually just stuck at a black screen which can be fixed. I've even been stuck at a black screen once before. All I had to do was re-flash my file, whoopy....

Also, there have been many cases of iPhones being bricked in the jailbreaking process. I read a lot on the subject before I took the plunge and jailbroke my 3GS.

Edited by Johnny82

Guest Roperband

Now that I'm on "02 1.6," an update to 2.2 is available.

Since I'm an AT&T user, should I still jump to the roms or can I safely update to 2.2 now? I will wait for your response before I do anything!

Guest Ed Venture

Since I'm an AT&T user, should I still jump to the roms or can I safely update to 2.2 now? I will wait for your response before I do anything!

Its not as easy as jumping from ATT 1.6 to any of the 2.2 ROMs out there because you will need to flash the new baseband. Here is how I went about flashing the official ROM;

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1511622

Look for post 129

Ed

Edited by Ed Venture

Guest bmatrow

If I remember right I had went from O2 1.6 to O2 2.1 and from there to Stephens rom.

Guest Roperband
Its not as easy as jumping from ATT 1.6 to any of the 2.2 ROMs out there because you will need to flash the new baseband. Here is how I went about flashing the official ROM;

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1511622

Look for post 129

Ed

Well, since I've already updated to o2 2.1 (from AT&T 1.6), the update to 2.2 is now available. Are you saying that it won't work?

Guest bmatrow
Well, since I've already updated to o2 2.1 (from AT&T 1.6), the update to 2.2 is now available. Are you saying that it won't work?

I am not 100% on that but my best guess would be no you can not do the OTA update to 2.2 through settings on your US a&tt streak running O2 2.1. I'm not sure as to how you should proceed to go to the official 2.2, I have never done so.

Guest User Error

don't bother updating to the official 2.2, you'll have a much better experience with steve's 2.2 v1.5.1.

since you are on o2's 2.1 all you need to do now is flash the new baseband amss via fastboot then flash steve's 1.5.1 via clockwork mod recovery. files and instructions are here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...1-release-post/

Guest Roperband
all you need to do now is flash the new baseband amss via fastboot then flash steve's 1.5.1 via clockwork mod recovery.

Oh...is that all? :) Ha, you guys make it sound so easy! I almost lost my mind last night trying to "fastboot" the phone; I thought I ruined it. I may give it another try though, I'm not a quitter!!

Guest bmatrow
Oh...is that all? :) Ha, you guys make it sound so easy! I almost lost my mind last night trying to "fastboot" the phone; I thought I ruined it. I may give it another try though, I'm not a quitter!!

I agree your better off with Stephens rom. It was nerve wracking when I first did it too. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine.