Rebooting streak connected to computer damages microsd card?

Guest Elusivo

Guest Elusivo

hi

I have had three 16GB miscrosd cards (the original one and 2 other class4 cards) malfunctioning after rebooting the streak.

The original one stopped working about 24h after i got the mobile, the 2nd one i bought got damaged also just a few hours after using it, the last one it worked for a week.

Connecting the non working cards to computer on a card reader or trying it in another phones, doesn't work either, my xperia can detect the card and even tries to format it (as does the streak) but after formatting it doesn't detect the card anyway and it only shows in windows as a 30MB card that can't be accessed cause the formatting always ends up failing. I tried the cards with a partition recovery program and it said it has a bad block in the beginning and that prevents it even from formatting it or writing a new mbr.

I'm not 100% sure but i think all the cards broke when i was rebooting the phone while it was connected to the computer with the usb cable, thing that i do all the time with my other smartphones and never had any problem so it can't be problem with my computer either.

So the first two cards i even gave it the doubt that maybe i had bad luck with them and they were faulty to start with even tho they worked fine in the beginning, but after the 3rd one failed too i'm wondering if i'm just doing something that i shouldn't be doing in the streak? (rebooting with the streak connected to pc) or if the streak is indeed malfunctioning.

I also tried a 8GB card for about a week and that one never failed even when rebooting connected to pc, hence why i chose to buy the 3rd 16GB card.

I sent the phone back to the shop and i got a reply saying that they tried it and it was working ok with a new card, now i not sure if they sending back the same mobile or another even tho i explained the situation. Dunno what i will do if i get same mobile back, for sure i'll eventually forget to disconnect it from pc when doing a reboot later on.

Anyway ... Do you guys think that rebooting the streak connected to computer would damage the microsd card or is it a perfectly safe and normal thing to do as i think it is?

Guest Fone_Fanatic

When its connected to the PC is USB mass storage enabled?

If so are you transferring/accessing data thats on the SD card while its connected and rebooting?

Thats the only way i can see it corrupting your SD card.

There are apps for your pc that do restore/repair sd cards.

Also a long time ago with one of my WM phones, i did have an app installed it that would read/write to the sdcard a lot and it ended up damaging my sd card 2 or 3 times before i narrowed it down to that app, just something to keep in mind.

Guest fester61

What make are the SD cards and where did you get them from?

There are a lot of fake cards out there, unless you buy them from a 100% reputable dealer you could be getting a dud.

I purchased a 32gb micro sdhc from ebay, it went back the same day, it was a fake Sandisk that would only report 8gb and even then wouldn't store anything.

Guest Elusivo

I don't remember if the cards were mounted in android or in the pc at those times that i rebooted the mobile... :/ but either way, could it really damage the cards ...? Hm, thinking better, i guess there would be a lot of ppl reporting same problem then...

The cards were all sandisk original cards, bought in a reputable electronics stuff rl shop, and i filled the cards up to some 13GB. I also tried a looot of reformat and restore and recovery programs, but none worked.

Edited by Elusivo