Use "OEM" ROM to restore phone to vanilla ?

Guest TLCook

Hi all, I recently received a HTC Desire HD on upgrade from Vodafone. The phone is great but has its limitations - only selectable carrier is Vodafone UK (contract or payg) and apps that could not be removed as normal user. Also, the boot screen has the vodafone logo on it instead of HTC.

I know this is not major, as the phone itself operates as any other but I'm slightly miffed as my mate has the same phone but it is "vanilla" - that is, unbranded.

I have read up on "rooting" my device and followed the instructions. I used Visionary+ and it worked. Using Titanium Backup+ I was able to "freeze" the apps that I cannot remove. I did try removing them as root and after a reboot they come back again.

I want to know if it is possible to install the OEM android ROM that would be on the "vanilla" DHD to allow use of any carrier and no apps I can't remove?

I'm totally new to HTC and Android so this is a steep learning curve for me, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom

You can debrand your DHD but there will always be apps you can't remove as even the stock DHD comes with crapware. Only by rooting can you remove apps you don't want

Guest El Nino9
Hi all, I recently received a HTC Desire HD on upgrade from Vodafone. The phone is great but has its limitations - only selectable carrier is Vodafone UK (contract or payg) and apps that could not be removed as normal user. Also, the boot screen has the vodafone logo on it instead of HTC. ............

hello tom.

i will try explain first.

vanilla is used in android when the build is from google source or cyanogen's source, this is known as an AOSP build.

from what i have read you want to debrand, not get rid of sense ui.

if you want more explanation on the above feel free to ask.

so the solution to you're request.

you will need to root, run g_free 0.2 and an WWE RUU.

1) you have visionary already and are temp rooted i take it?

you will need to permanent root.

i recommend you use this guide as it will also instruct how to use g_free.

this tool allows you to sim unlock for free and radio s-off and gives you super CID.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...e_HTC_Desire_HD

after you run g_free you can run any RUU for ace(desire hd) this is what super cid gives you.

but i recommend following the instructions upto installing the custom recovery.

once you have installed the custom recovery you can install the following rom.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...online-kitchen/

when gingerbread comes out paul will update it too.

you should get as far as installing custom recovery will no problem as the instructions are quit clear. but if you get stuck just post back

Thanks for your response. Yes I just want to get rid of the Vodafone rubbish that seems to be delivered on the newest DHDs. A friend has a DHD with Vodafone and theirs does not have any Vodafone rubbish installed - just HTC Sense (which is all I want). I used the term "Vanilla" since I am an IT technician and the term is used for operating systems that come directly from the manufacturer with no frills/3rd party rubbish.

I contacted HTC about this and their response was, yes the phone can be unlocked to work on any network but the phone will always receive software updates from Vodafone (OTA).

What I now want to know (but can't really ask them!) is if I flash the stock DHD rom (on this forum) onto my device, will it then receive updates (OTA) from HTC instead?

I have permanently rooted my device, since temp root didn't really seem to apply any changes (as I then found out when I read up on it!). It's annoying it can't just be a simple fix (which it could be really if they let users), where HTC supply the software and it installs across USB or something similar. I really don't get why mobile networks stick bloatware on phones they supply, I don't mind the logos etc but the demo games that cannot be removed and silly apps just take the pi..

Again, thanks for your help. I'm now reading up on the info you have provided. Lots to learn and understand!

Yes, if you debrand your DHD you'll get updates direct from HTC once available. You will need your gold card in your phone at all times, mind, as otherwise the update will fail and possibly brick the phone

From this old post online:

http://segmentnext.com/2010/04/28/how-to-c...roid-ruu-files/

"What is a Gold Card ?

A Gold card is a special SD card which when inserted into your device allows you to flash RUU files with a different CID to your own device. For example if you have a AT&T branded device it will allow you to flash a generic ROM."

Use this guide to make one:

http://android.modaco.com/content/general-...ing-a-goldcard/

Edited by EddyOS

Thank you.

I have looked up the CID related issues and there is a tool which will rewrite the CID on the phone to a Super CID, allowing any ROM to be used. Will this work around the gold card issue? (as in, will I need to use a gold card or will that mod do it?)

Link to tool thread on xda forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857537

Thank you.

I have looked up the CID related issues and there is a tool which will rewrite the CID on the phone to a Super CID, allowing any ROM to be used. Will this work around the gold card issue? (as in, will I need to use a gold card or will that mod do it?)

Link to tool thread on xda forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857537

I have a query similar (the same?) to this.... Does anyone know if its possible to use One-Click Radio to change the CID to the stock HTC__001 CID on an orange branded phone, then use the Stock RUU to flash to stock?? Would this be a way to totally debrand the phone and put it back to standard, without rooting, s-off'ing or having to use a goldcard??

Im an android noob btw.... I've just been studying today ready for my currently in post DHD. :)