Step by step update guide

Guest rvdgeer

Guest rvdgeer

Step by step guide to upgrade your device to the latest official firmware (ROM) using a Windows PC

What you need:

- The device

- The AC (power) adapter for the device)

- The USB connection cable (If the device came without cable to need to buy the USB A-male to A-male cable seperately)

- A working PC with a working internet connection and volume turned on

Preparation

01. Optional: Backup personal data and settings to the SD card using built in backup or third party software like Titanium Backup (Pro)

02. Make sure the battery is fully charged and you have the AC (power) adapter plugged in

03. Download and unzip the firmware update and USB drivers to a folder on your PC. Make sure all .zip files are unzipped

04. Shut down the device. Make sure it's not in standby, but really shut down.

05. Connect the device to the PC with the USB connection cable.

06. Boot to recovery mode by following the next procedure exactly:

• Press and hold the 'back' button on top of the device.
  • After 1 second push and hold the 'power' button too. Don't release the back button yet!
  • After 1 more second release the 'power' button, while holding the back button.
  • After yet another second, release the 'back' button too.
  • If you've done this correctly, the PC will play a 'device connected' sound.

07. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the "APX" device without drivers and choose to update the device driver

08. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

09. Done correctly it will show the "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices"

Updating

10. Start the executable firmware update on the PC and wait for it to finish

Step by step guide to install the MCR (MoDaCo Custom ROM) Add-On using a Windows PC

If you want to install the MCR Add-On directly after flashing a ROM it seems advisable to wait a couple of minutes (10 - 15) in between, so the ROM can settle...

And a manual Power-off Power-on cycle in between seems advisable too...

To be able to flash the MCR Add-On you need to have USB Slave mode enabled so you can flash it using a cable or you can use ADB wireless on a USB Host enabled (rooted) ROM.

Please notice the MCR Add-On was intended for a specific ROM version, so trying it on any other ROM would be experimental.

What you need:

- The device

- The USB connection cable (If the device came without cable to need to buy the USB A-male to A-male cable seperately)

- A working PC with a working internet connection

Preparation

01. Optional: Backup personal data and settings to the SD card using built in backup or third party software like Titanium Backup (Pro).

02. Make sure the device is turned on and you have enough battery power left.

03. Download and unzip MCR Add-On to a folder on your PC. Make sure the USB drivers inside the subfolder "usbdriver" are unzipped too!

04. On the device go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB Debugging.

06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

07. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

08. Done correctly it will show the device with Android Developer Bridge (ADB) enabled

Installing

09. Open a command prompt on the PC and change to the folder where you extracted the MCR Add-On

or

09. Browse on your PC to the folder where you extracted the MCR Add-on

10. Run install-windows.bat and wait for it to finish

Need more help with the drivers?

arad85 posted his steps with some very nice screen shots here!

Thank you arad85!

No Windows PC or troubles in Windows 7

If you don't have a Windows PC or when you're having troubles with Windows 7 but you do need a step by step guide, you can always try to run vmware player and install Windows XP on it.

I'm sorry, but a step for step guide on how to do that would be a little too much off topic.

Want to know what firmware/ROM version you're on?

Toxophilite: On Vega go to Settings -> About Device -> Kernel Version.

The characters immediately after the v show the version number.

Thank you Toxophilite!

Please help out!

I created this guide by using the available info on this forum and with what I already knew about flashing...

Did I miss a step, or have I made a mistake?

Do you need another guide?

Please let me know and I will update...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest bear807
Thanx!

Any ideas/suggestions?

done everything correctly but doesnt load?????

how to enable disk mode??

i have already have adb in my device manager when i run command prompt it says not and external or internal command?

Guest rvdgeer
done everything correctly but doesnt load?????

how to enable disk mode??

i have already have adb in my device manager when i run command prompt it says not and external or internal command?

Can you please be more specific?

What did you try?

At which step did you fail?

What doesn't load?

What do you mean by "how to enable disk mode??"?

Guest bear807
Can you please be more specific?

What did you try?

At which step did you fail?

What doesn't load?

What do you mean by "how to enable disk mode??"?

sorry was abit rush thank you for your help! :)

Preparation

01. Optional: Backup personal data and settings to the SD card using built in backup or third party software like Titanium Backup (Pro).

02. Make sure the device is turned on and you have enough battery power left.

03. Download and unzip MCR Add-On to a folder on your PC. Make sure the USB drivers inside the subfolder "usbdriver" are unzipped too!

04. On the device go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB Debugging.

06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

07. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

08. Done correctly it will show the device with Android Developer Bridge (ADB) enabled

i have done all this steps

09. Open a command prompt on the PC and change to the folder where you extracted the MCR Add-On

or

09. Browse on your PC to the folder where you extracted the MCR Add-on

10. Run install-windows.bat and wait for it to finish

here is some problem i have encounter i have try to run command prompt

1.do i have to run install-windows.bat under (sub folder/adb-windows.exe run install-windows.bat) ????

or i just go straight to opening install-windows.bat???

2. i have click on install-windows.bat and it say running demon and than nothing

3. i have also tried to open install-windows.bat using command prompt simply (mycomputer name/desktop/subfolder name/install-windows.bat than it shows like the picture i have attach

post-449076-1293019667_thumb.jpg

any clues???

i happen to saw this in pauls guide

•If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

how to enable the have disk function?????

im doing a install on a brand new vega so maybe theres something i have miss?

Edited by bear807

Guest rvdgeer
here is some problem i have encounter i have try to run command prompt

1.do i have to run install-windows.bat under (sub folder/adb-windows.exe run install-windows.bat) ????

or i just go straight to opening install-windows.bat???

2. i have click on install-windows.bat and it say running demon and than nothing

3. i have also tried to open install-windows.bat using command prompt simply (mycomputer name/desktop/subfolder name/install-windows.bat than it shows like the picture i have attach

post-449076-1293019667_thumb.jpg

any clues???

There's online 1 install-windows.bat

This should be in the same folder as adb-windows.exe

i happen to saw this in pauls guide

•If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

how to enable the have disk function?????

Don't worry about this...

If you've followed my guide step by step you should have the correct drivers installed...

Are you absolutely sure you followed my guide step by step to the letter, without improvising?

Guest bear807
There's online 1 install-windows.bat

This should be in the same folder as adb-windows.exe

Don't worry about this...

If you've followed my guide step by step you should have the correct drivers installed...

Are you absolutely sure you followed my guide step by step to the letter, without improvising?

es i really did followed now i have reverted the usb driver in zip folder like what you say which shows r1 now the adb interface in device manager has dissapeared :)

mine is windows 7 64bit maybe couldnt run that???

Guest rvdgeer
es i really did followed now i have reverted the usb driver in zip folder like what you say which shows r1 now the adb interface in device manager has dissapeared :)

mine is windows 7 64bit maybe couldnt run that???

Reverted the driver like I said?

Where did I say that?

And what do you mean with "which shows r1 now"?

I'm really sorry, but I have a very hard time reading your posts....

Probably because my English isn't good enough...

Can you please use dots and comma's in your sentences so it will a bit less hard to read?

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest bear807
Reverted the driver like I said?

Where did I say that?

And what do you mean with "which shows r1 now"?

I'm really sorry, but I have a very hard time reading your posts....

Probably because my English isn't good enough...

Can you please use dots and comma's in your sentences so it will a bit less hard to read?

yes i am sorry for not putting in commas etc

i originally uses the usb driver that comes on myadventvega website.

i have downloaded the kitchen in pauls post, under usbdriver it has an r1 usb driver

i have put in the driver which avaliable in myadventvega website first than to the r1 driver.

After i have put in the r1 driver the adb device ,under device manager has gone dissapearead!

Guest xathras
hi rvdgeer is solve :)

but with my gfs xp computer so i think there is a problem with windows7 64 bit maybe anyone can come forward to prove it?

I used Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (as have others) with no problem at all. ;)

Guest rvdgeer
hi rvdgeer is solve :)

but with my gfs xp computer so i think there is a problem with windows7 64 bit maybe anyone can come forward to prove it?

Glad you managed to work it out...

If a Windows 7 64bit pc needs a different approach, please do let me know (anyone?) so I can mention this in the guide!

Guest rvdgeer
I used Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (as have others) with no problem at all. :)

Did you use my guide to do so?

If not, can you please tell if you had to do anything different from what I've written down here?

Guest Touch Graphite

Unsure if this has been replicated before, but:

Whilst trying to unzip the r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco zip file within usbdrivers folder of the Add On, I get the error:

An expected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x80010135: Path too long

WdfCoInstaller01007.dll

Type: Application Extension

Date Modified: 25/11/2010 09:03

Size:1.42 MB

Error was created using Vista 32 Bit windows default zip program, it unzips fine with no errors using WinRAR.

I've attached a screenshot of it.

post-801305-1293122257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Touch Graphite

Guest Touch Graphite

Sorted it now, it seems that Path too long error is exactly what it means!

I even had issues with WinRAR and Windows unzipper trying to unzip the original ZIP file created by the kitchen, getting stuck on the 10.1 flash file

Even WinRAR didnt like the long(er) path names.

I was trying to unzip the add-on folder downloaded from the kitchen to a path in Vista:

C:/Users/Rhys/Advent Vega Files/(zipped folder)

I wouldnt exactly call that super deep but moving the zipped folders to my desktop:

C:/Users/Rhys/Desktop/(zipped folder)

Attached is the unzip error getting stuck on the flash program when stored in the C:/Users/Rhys/Advent Vega Files/(zipped folder) path.

I wouldnt recommend moving the half completed zip to your desktop and collaborate the rest with the 2nd successful ZIP, it all got a bit hairy of me so I deleted and restarted from the desktop.

In future, download and extract everything on your desktop.

post-801305-1293123861_thumb.jpg

Guest rvdgeer
Sorted it now, it seems that Path too long error is exactly what it means!

I even had issues with WinRAR and Windows unzipper trying to unzip the original ZIP file created by the kitchen, getting stuck on the 10.1 flash file

Even WinRAR didnt like the long(er) path names.

I was trying to unzip the add-on folder downloaded from the kitchen to a path in Vista:

C:/Users/Rhys/Advent Vega Files/(zipped folder)

I wouldnt exactly call that super deep but moving the zipped folders to my desktop:

C:/Users/Rhys/Desktop/(zipped folder)

Attached is the unzip error getting stuck on the flash program when stored in the C:/Users/Rhys/Advent Vega Files/(zipped folder) path.

I wouldnt recommend moving the half completed zip to your desktop and collaborate the rest with the 2nd successful ZIP, it all got a bit hairy of me so I deleted and restarted from the desktop.

In future, download and extract everything on your desktop.

Thanks for sorting this!

Guest Touch Graphite

It seems that WinRAR or the windows unzipper doesnt like paths over 140 characters (according to WinRAR popups), and the way Paul has constructed the ROM Zip Folders to be very long, this seems to throw over the 140 character limit without storing it too deep inside your computer.

i.e:

C:/Users/Rhys/Advent Vega Files/r5 add on with perf. pack exc. Not Bar. & Car Home-unsigned/231210-1640-r5-vega-modacocustomromaddon-unsigned-MD5-3b66c481c7ceb5a1f395662ef322c7c4/files/system/etc/shuttle_priv/libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101019_v10.1.95.18_signed.apk

Now that is one super duper long path!

It didnt help with me naming the ROM cook folders according to what it contained but its the only way to keep track.

Guest Touch Graphite

Whilst reading through the guide in the first post, I will be following this tomorrow morning but already found something a bit vague and confusing.

Twice in the above guide, once when your updating the official firmware with Advent files and secondly with Paul add-on files, you use the words:

08. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

Could you please specify which usb drivers are installed at which point (The official Advent ones available from the website and the usb drivers in pauls add on pack.

OK so this is where I am, Installed the mod but media sound doesn't work, I go into the setting set to full volume on System, Media and Alarm, the vega plays audio but when i try to play any medei no sound. Goe back to setting all set as they were but Media audio is at 0 and I can't use the rocker keys on the vega to change anything. any help?

Guest rvdgeer
Whilst reading through the guide in the first post, I will be following this tomorrow morning but already found something a bit vague and confusing.

Twice in the above guide, once when your updating the official firmware with Advent files and secondly with Paul add-on files, you use the words:

Could you please specify which usb drivers are installed at which point (The official Advent ones available from the website and the usb drivers in pauls add on pack.

Depends on the guide you are following, but it's the drivers you unzipped in step 03...

If you follow it to the letter, it can't go wrong...

Guest griff_dai

ok, done the official update, just changed the drivers for Paul's ROM, done ok..... Now how do I run the update, I can open the command prompt but what do I do next???

I need the complete command line. The update is in a file called 'unzipped modaco rom update dec 2010' on the desktop.....

what is the instruction I need to run the update?

I have only bloody done it!!!!!! Woo Hoo........ Happy Christmas :(

Edited by griff_dai