Step by step update guide

Guest rvdgeer

Guest warriorscot
10. Run install-windows.bat and wait for it to finish

You either double click on the install-windows.bat or just type install-windows.bat into the command line. It's a batch file so it just runs itself.

Guest andysalmon

Hi all and Merry Xmas. I'm thoroughly fed up- knew I should have updated the Vega before today! I simply cannot get the Vega showing up as ANY sort of device in Device Manager (XP). I've downloaded the SDK and installed it (does this automatically download the USB driver?) but I cannot see the Vega's at all.

I've prepped by successfully installing the Vega ROm and can see NVIDIA Tegra in Disk Drives in Device Manager but don't have ADB. Any ideas?

Edited by andysalmon

Guest tech_fox
Hi all and Merry Xmas. I'm thoroughly fed up- knew I should have updated the Vega before today! I simply cannot get the Vega showing up as ANY sort of device in Device Manager (XP). I've downloaded the SDK and installed it (does this automatically download the USB driver?) but I cannot see the Vega's at all.

I've prepped by successfully installing the Vega ROm and can see NVIDIA Tegra in Disk Drives in Device Manager but don't have ADB. Any ideas?

I am not familiar with the SDK (I presume you are talking about the Android Software development kit) but I presume steps 4,5, and 6 of post number 1 of this topic still apply so you should get as far as seeing something for the Vega. If no drivers are installed then under normal circumstances you should see two new entries appear automatically in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus controller" and the "NVIDIA Harmony" under "Other Devices". If you have no joy then have a look at arad85's topic "What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64)...., how to update to the correct drivers". If at step 6 you don't see any drivers look at my posts in that topic and my post 580 on page 29 of the MODACO Add-on ROM topic.

I presume you are not trying to install the MCR

Good Luck

Guest andysalmon
I am not familiar with the SDK (I presume you are talking about the Android Software development kit) but I presume steps 4,5, and 6 of post number 1 of this topic still apply so you should get as far as seeing something for the Vega. If no drivers are installed then under normal circumstances you should see two new entries appear automatically in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus controller" and the "NVIDIA Harmony" under "Other Devices". If you have no joy then have a look at arad85's topic "What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64)...., how to update to the correct drivers". If at step 6 you don't see any drivers look at my posts in that topic and my post 580 on page 29 of the MODACO Add-on ROM topic.

I presume you are not trying to install the MCR

Good Luck

Fox, the issue is I am NOT getting the NVIDIA Harmony displaying in USB, nor ADB so I cannot update the drivers. Hope that makes sense?

Guest Touch Graphite
Sweet guide - worked 1st time for me - many thanks!

Hope you guys and gals with issues get them resolved.

Merry Christmas!

Same here mate.

Just got my hands on mine this morning. Updating to 1.06 from 1.04 was easy but the add on wasn't.

I had major driver errors, not seeing it in device manager when I should but persisted and got it going.

The flash was disabled but Pauls guide to activate it just didn't work, the priv folder just wasn't there in the etc folder (or something, I'm going from memory) but I downloaded the newer version on post 10, installed it straight off the device and now its fully functional.

I grabbed a few supporting screengrabs that aren't covered here during installation to show what you should see, i'll post these soon.

Guest Touch Graphite

After updating the firmware to 1.06 using myadventvega files, I had the popup appear in my taskbar which just hung there.

I got extremely impatient and just cancelled it.

I think that was the start of my problems.

Some more restarting of my vista 32 bit laptop and the vega and I finally got the laptop to 'detect' the USB device and install (on its own) the Android Developer Bridge now shoing under USB Controllers.

post-801305-1293290923_thumb.jpg

Guest Touch Graphite

After some unplugging, plugging in, the laptop auto installed some drivers it found from somewhere, but then I had to follow the 'Missing drivers for Win7/64' thread and overwrite the Android developer bridge under it now shows as Android phone thing in the top of the list.

Below now shows a typical sceengrab of the files being pushed to the device during update to Paul's addon.

post-801305-1293291049_thumb.jpg

Guest andysalmon
After updating the firmware to 1.06 using myadventvega files, I had the popup appear in my taskbar which just hung there.

I got extremely impatient and just cancelled it.

I think that was the start of my problems.

Some more restarting of my vista 32 bit laptop and the vega and I finally got the laptop to 'detect' the USB device and install (on its own) the Android Developer Bridge now shoing under USB Controllers.

Thanks for your help bud- much appreciated.

I'll see about some screen grabs to show the issue.

Guest andysalmon
untitled.bmpShowing that the Vega doesn't show anywhere except the chipset. Attempting to update that file has not been successful. The USB devices do not show with the requisite values as expected in Foxy's post. Edited by andysalmon

Guest tech_fox
Fox, the issue is I am NOT getting the NVIDIA Harmony displaying in USB, nor ADB so I cannot update the drivers. Hope that makes sense?

Look at my post number 29 on page 2 of topic "What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64)...., how to update to the correct drivers". I think this will sort you out. You should then end up with a "USB composite device" and then in Device Manager see either "NVIDIA Harmony" under "Other Devices" or the "Andoid Debug Bridge Interface" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Pauls drivers can then be used to update either.

Also when you use USBDeview if you sort the Vendor ID column and look for Vendor ID 0955, Product ID 7100 that will identify all drivers that are and have been associated with the Vega. I can't see those columns in the image you posted to fully determine what is happening.

Edited by tech_fox

Guest andysalmon

Update...

It's now fully working with the updated ROM. Thanks to the Fox for writing the fault finding guide and suggesting (to yet again) check the USB connections (which solved the issue) but the BIGGEST thanks goes to Touch Graphite who took the time out yesterday to offer his assistance and phoned me in an effort to help with the install.

I spent 6 hrs yesterday trying to get this up and running. I searched Modaco and ALL of the Android forums and downloaded various bits of programs but the only ones I needed were in these threads. I had multiple restarts yesterday (10+) of Windoze and the Vega in an attempt to sort this out. The USB connection was simply not shown.

First attempt this morning and the USB for the Vega was displayed. I suspect it was my rather elderly Windoze computer that needed an overnight rest, but I have NO idea what has been done differently.

To all those that are in the process of losing hair over this- once you've exhausted all options leave the damn thing alone overnight and try again in the morning!

Again, a big thanks to the guys mentioned.

Edited by andysalmon

Guest Touch Graphite
Update...

It's now fully working with the updated ROM. Thanks to the Fox for writing the fault finding guide and suggesting (to yet again) check the USB connections (which solved the issue) but the BIGGEST thanks goes to Touch Graphite who took the time out yesterday to offer his assistance and phoned me in an effort to help with the install.

I spent 6 hrs yesterday trying to get this up and running. I searched Modaco and ALL of the Android forums and downloaded various bits of programs but the only ones I needed were in these threads. I had multiple restarts yesterday (10+) of Windoze and the Vega in an attempt to sort this out. The USB connection was simply not shown.

First attempt this morning and the USB for the Vega was displayed. I suspect it was my rather elderly Windoze computer that needed an overnight rest, but I have NO idea what has been done differently.

To all those that are in the process of losing hair over this- once you've exhausted all options leave the damn thing alone overnight and try again in the morning!

In a way, Im glad that the fault wasnt clear because it was annoying for me and even I got confused.

Sort of knew it was a 'plug and unplug' problem until your computer recognises the device from the drivers used in the update.

Guest Touch Graphite
Update...

In a way, Im glad that the fault wasnt clear because it was annoying for me and even I got confused.

Sort of knew it was a 'plug and unplug' problem until your computer recognises the device from the drivers used in the update.

Guest lisaberry

06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

Hi - I am stuck here as I do not see this in device manager - only USB Mass storage device.

The steps before this are def done correctly - what am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Guest lisaberry
06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

Hi - I am stuck here as I do not see this in device manager - only USB Mass storage device.

The steps before this are def done correctly - what am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Finally got it sorted in the end! Im almosrlt impressed with my 2 hour time!

Now i know i can do thos i will get a subscription so i can get the performance pack!

Thanks Paul - my Vega now rocks!

Guest lisaberry
Finally got it sorted in the end! Im almosrlt impressed with my 2 hour time!

Now i know i can do thos i will get a subscription so i can get the performance pack!

Thanks Paul - my Vega now rocks!

And a better keyboard too!!

Guest martinmt

hi all

i tried to do exactly what this guide says, but i have a problem (tried on 2 pc's, win 7 x64 and win xp)

if i connect the device to the pc, nothing happens..

no device is added in device manager

not with the expected name, and no standard device oder mass storage device

first i thought, there is something wrong with the device..

but the original formware flash works.. so i have a problem on my both pc's

maybe i will try flashing with osx next week.. (but doing it this week would be greater.. maybe someone can help me with that)

kr

martin

Guest thwacker

Thanks for the guide rvdgeer.

I got my Vega on Christmas Day but my house has been full of family and visitors until today so now I've got a chance to work with it.

First thing I want to do is check whether I need to update my Vega's firmware. However it's not clear where I find the current version of the firmware on my Vega. The most obvious candidate is under Settings - About Device - Kernel Version, which on my device reports 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.03_20101110_DIX_UK. I assume the firmware version therefore is V1.03. Is that correct? If so, would you consider adding this information to your instructions?

First thing I want to do is check whether I need to update my Vega's firmware. However it's not clear where I find the current version of the firmware on my Vega. The most obvious candidate is under Settings - About Device - Kernel Version, which on my device reports 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.03_20101110_DIX_UK. I assume the firmware version therefore is V1.03. Is that correct? If so, would you consider adding this information to your instructions?

You are correct 1.03 ( it must have been under the christmas tree for sometime :( )

Guest thwacker
You are correct 1.03 ( it must have been under the christmas tree for sometime :( )

Yes, it's been under the tree for a few weeks and I've been itching to get my hands on it.

Another question. When booting to recovery mode as instructed in step 6 will there be anything displayed on the screen of the Vega? Either during the boot procedure or when it has finished. I've tried this step a number of times and so far all I've got is a black screen with no sign that it has booted to recovery mode. My PC (Win7), which doesn't have a sound card at the moment, shows no indication that it has a USB connection to the Vega.

There is nothing on the screen in this mode but windows should prompt for the APX driver ( Nvida Flash driver ) at this point the driver is the Advent one from their site.

It shows as NVIDIA BOOT Recovery driver in device manager under universal serial bus controllers.

Mine arrived with 1.065 on it so I havn't actually needed to update mine yet, but have just put my Vega in to recovery to confirm the blank screen and driver needed.

Someone else posted that if the back light comes on you have gone to far and make sure you have the power lead in.

As with all things follow the instructions on the Advent site carefully!

HTH

Edit: fixed typo!!

Edited by ptbw

Guest martinmt

okay, finally i got it work..

this damned POV firmware..

did not connect via usb..

then i flashed vega firmware on the device..

then i got it work...

great guide

thanks a lot