nexus s and 3g signal

Guest tomqman

Guest tone-fu

I'm on Orange in the UK and I've not dropped out of 3G so far. My overall signal isn't amazing, 2 out of 4 bars on average and the Wi-Fi signal is noticeably worse than other devices, my Wife's HTC Desire Z for example gets a full Wi-Fi signal everywhere in our house, whereas my Nexus drops out to 1 bar within about 10 feet of the router.

Apparently the updates will address that issue though.

*EDIT*

After about 3 days of use I've noticed that the 3G signal is dreadful. My device is now constantly dropping out in exactly the same places as before. Goodness knows what's changed but it's bad enough to make me return the device. Oh well, back to my N900.

Edited by tone-fu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loconinja

I am beginning to think that poor radio performance is a Samsung issue, as I have the same problem with my Omnia 7. Reception is appalling compared to my Dell Streak, which is on the same network (T-Mobile). In fact, it is so bad on the Omnia 7 that I cannot use it as my only phone.

Guest englefield

I originally got my Nexus S on Orange for a couple of reasons but one being the online checker said where I live I got the highest 3g coverage possible. When I actually got to try it I found It would only get 3G if I took the phone outside, and then only 1 bar.

However, I had an older Tmobile sim still working and due for an upgrade which I tried in the same Nexus S and 3G is very good on it. 3/4 bars even inside the house.

Orange contract cancelled and got another Nexus S as an ugrade on my exisiting tmobile contact for free :unsure: Pretty happy now.

Those online checkers are full of crap I think.