08 Aug Gr15 GRJ22: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Nexus S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Quick84

The natives are getting restless, I remember when MCR Rom's were updating like every 5-7 days with the Nexus One, Adding new features and tweeks...

Guest Mr.Clark

Trouble is, there are a lot more devices out now.

I'm torn between wanting 2.3.4 for the Nexus S and wanting the latest Transformer ROM...

On a related note, my phone just popped up the there's a system update available - I thought these were disabled in the MoDaCo rom. Does this mean they're not, or that Paul is being clever and auto-updating his rom?

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest IntoTheVoid

I am having some excessive sleep of death issues with the nexus s. It just started happening suddenly since the last few days. My wife's NS with mcr is working fine. With very similar apps. I have restored it several times with complete wipes and no app restore to figure out which app is an issue but its very random. Usually occurs if I haven't used the phone for maybe 10mins or so. And always overnight when I wake up the phone doesn't turn on and the bottom capacitative buttons are illuminated. I have to take out the battery for it to boot up. Last night i wiped it again and installed only handcent and left it over night and went into SOD. I just wiped it again and only have the basic google apps installed and nothing else, running mcr will report back what happens.

I also flashed CM for a brief period with full app restore and it went into SOD. I am starting to wonder if its a hardware problem. I also have a slight delay between pressing the power button and the display coming on. I tested this several times with my NS and my wife's and her comes on right away compared to mine which has a slight delay. Very frustrating as its very unusable. Maybe I should flash the stock from again I don't know.

Guest IntoTheVoid

Well it froze again with no market apps installed except for google stuff and now it won't go past the google logo. It won't reflash the rom either in clock work. Just freezes. I am going to flash back to the stock rom and see how it goes.

Edited by IntoTheVoid

Guest IntoTheVoid

Just an update on my issue. I finally figured out after staying up all night last night that it was the internal 16gb storage. It somehow became read only and I was unable to do anything to get it to work. NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ROM. This seems to be a known issue with the Nexus S which may have been addressed in the new GB 2.3.4 but I can't flash that as to do so I need to place the update.zip on the internal storage which is read only and I can't delete or write anything to it. I just made a backup and sent it to Samsung. This issue usually occurs by first the phone freezing randomly but often than massive force closings when flashing a new rom rendering it completely unusable. Occurs on stock roms and custom roms. Got lucky and got a Nexus One for cheap to use for now. Hopefully I get it back soon.

Guest Provolino

Thanks Paul :mellow:

If I need to install superboot on Nexus S with stock 2.3.4 rom, do I need new updated superboot or I can use 2.3.3 version?

Guest Jym 1975
I will be updating this to 2.3.4 shortly!

P

And please try to fix black screen issue after sleep on I9023. For what I read and for the few minutes I was able to use it before having black screen, your mod is probably the best one for many aspects (battery life for example).Thank you

Guest Mr.Clark
On a related note, my phone just popped up the there's a system update available - I thought these were disabled in the MoDaCo rom. Does this mean they're not, or that Paul is being clever and auto-updating his rom?

Ok, I tried to install it and it failed. But it keeps coming back!

Will Gr15 stop the auto-check, or is it a push thing from Google?

Guest guy.copy
I guess its getting abit slow for the update :unsure:

Guess Paul have forgotten about NEXUS S

Wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Guest wutang01
Guess Paul have forgotten about NEXUS S

According to his tweets, he's spending a lot of time on his Galaxy S II and he's sold his Nexus S. If my memory serves right.

Guest Chicaned
According to his tweets, he's spending a lot of time on his Galaxy S II and he's sold his Nexus S. If my memory serves right.

Not true! He had 2 Nexus S's. He will update this at some point.

You can download v2.3.4 for yourself (look on XDA). Install it via custom recovery. This will wipe the custom recovery off your phone. Install ROM manager and Superuser from the market after you've installed v2.3.4. You will then be able to download the necessary files within the apps. Both will deposit the files onto your SD card. Then install the recovery via fastboot and install the Superuser files via the recovery.

Hey presto! Nice clean rooted ROM!!!