Charging by USB / car charger

Guest DaveSk

Can't seem to find much on this on the search - does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to enable the Vega to charge by USB or using a car charger?

Guest warriorscot

I don't think it would be possible to charge it using the USB, if you have a charger that works in the car with the right output and socket type on the vega end it would work fine. Problem is there isn't really much of a standard for the size and shape of power plugs. It takes a pretty standard power input its just getting something that will fit.

Guest SilentMobius
Can't seem to find much on this on the search - does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to enable the Vega to charge by USB or using a car charger?

USB carries a max of 5v, the Vega needs 12v to charge, so it's unlikely to happen unless you pack in DC->DC step-up transformer in the spare space.

How about this one at £12?

Yup - that's the one that the eBay trader I referred to above has posted. I've just ordered one - the only question is on the size of the connector / tip size but he has said if the size is wrong, we'll try again larger / smaller until we get it right.

Good service so far & I'll post back on compatibility when it arrives next week.

Guest unholyimp

Maxip your first suggestion only output 9volt.

Oopps I should learn to read your whole post first :(

Second suggestion was spot on. Although I still reckon for 11.54 the multi voltage/multi plug gets my vote as you could use it for other devices if needed

Just noticed as well the plugs that connect to the device have a 90 degree elbow meaning the cable will slip neatly down the side of the Vega.

I like that ;)

Edited by unholyimp

Guest princeotter

Would it be okay to use one of those 3 pin plug inverters that plug in the ciggy lighter and then just use the normal charger??

Guest princeotter
Ok you can't do it through the USB but you can buy a universal adapter. This one looks OK. correct voltage slightly higher current. As far as I'm aware that shouldn't cause an issue because the device will only draw the current reqiured.

http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/in-car-mult...dium=googlebase

If there is less ampage (ie 800ma instead of 1000ma) would it still work but just take longer to charge as 800ma are much cheaper? Or what about this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/GenieWish-Universa.../ref=pd_cp_ce_2 £8.99 plus 95p p&p

Edited by princeotter

Guest Touch Graphite
If there is less ampage (ie 800ma instead of 1000ma) would it still work but just take longer to charge as 800ma are much cheaper? Or what about this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/GenieWish-Universa.../ref=pd_cp_ce_2 £8.99 plus 95p p&p

DC chargers don't work like that, if it can't offer the current, don't buy it.

Using a charger that can only offer 800mA will either:

Not charge or blow the charger due to excessive current draw.

Charger from ebay(link above) arrived today - works perfectly and the connector is a nice tight fit.

Movies & charging in the car now :(

Result! Thanks for reporting the good news!

• 3 months later...