Looking towards MCR r7 and beyond

Guest PaulOBrien

Indeed.

Paul has already said he has passed information onto Koush and asked him to look at it, i'm sure he'll iron out any issues.

I guess we need Paul to comment then....

Guest rferrett

Rock and Roll!

Great stuff Paul, and thanks for all your work. I shall look forward to R6 and R7/

On the hacking thing I think it is part of the deal that if you want to mess around with the gubbins on your toy you might sacrifice a little of the stability. That is the way the cookie crumbles and personally I am game. And of course the great thing about the modding community is if folks are not happy with the thrust of development then one can always start work on a branch of ones own.

No doubt there are plenty of people here at MoDaCo, or over at XDA that can help if people wanna have a pop at the bootloader or other things.

Ralph

I don't think that's the right way to look at it (and I think a tad arrogant :(). I think it would be better to fix the bootloader first, before concentrating on more features. The problem is that if no one is working on the bootloader (and I see no evidence that anyone is), and instead working on the core, you'll end up with a development with lots of features that is flaky, or a more boring one which works all the time.

The problem is that if the ONLY way I can get to new features from Paul is via a flaky bootloader - that will limit the platform to interested hackers rather than Joe Public in general. That's not my view of what this tablet (or what this community) is all about.

I think the work Paul et al are doing here is brilliant. The bootloader and ROM are distinctly different. Paul can continue to enhance the ROM, the fact that the bootloader is not up to scratch has no bearing on the quality of the ROM, i.e. if it is flaky or not.

Seriously how many people remember a product called MS DOS 3.0 being released!

Edited by rimoth

I'm confused as to what this 'bootloader problem' is exactly that people are talking about? There's no 'flaky bootloader' that i'm aware of?

P

It's the soft-mod design of Clockwork recovery, if that goes belly up (which it seems to do a bit too often by the sounds of it), you have to reflash the entire base rom, and it's a bit too much hassle for something that should never go wrong.

I haven't joined in this discussion, but I just accept it and get on with it. I actually have designed and coded many firmware bootloaders on various platforms, and taken a lot of effort to make them as fool-proof and error resistant as possible, but I do know it's not always as easy as it sounds, especially if the main OS has carte-blanche ability to alter the same section of storage as the bootloader/softmod is on..

I'm sure most issues are self-generated by users, but I guess people often need saving from themselves, Everyone is prone to having a funny 5 minutes every now and again!!

Edited by phil-t

I'm confused as to what this 'bootloader problem' is exactly that people are talking about? There's no 'flaky bootloader' that i'm aware of?

P

All the "I tried to power my vega on and now I just get a black screen". Everyone who has this problem has had CWM installed. If you don't install it, it never fails to boot....

Ive had vega fail to boot, just loop around the vega splashscreen. I had to revert to stock then reapply mcr5. Since then ive had lots of crashes in the last 2 days, hardly had any before, Im guessing its down to a particular app. I have never used clockwork mod and am little nervous about trying it, but sounds like I may have to for future updates. My main concern is I really like the sound of usb host but if my vega died again and Im in usb host mode can I still enter recovery and reflash to 1.06 or will the computer not recognise the device as its stuck in usb host? Im gessing it will be fine but dont want to take uneccessary risks as overall Im happywith the device. I wouldnt be surprised if Im speaking on behalf of a lot of people by saying this.

So is it always possible to enter recovery to reflash stock?

Guest jellywobbles
............ I wouldnt be surprised if Im speaking on behalf of a lot of people by saying this...

Given the heartache so many have gone through running this process, I think you are spot on! Certainly puts me off!

Flashing my HTC HD2 is "kiddys stuff" compared to what's required for the Vega. :(

Good example of a Clockwork mod nightmare is HERE!

Edited by jellywobbles

Given the heartache so many have gone through running this process, I think you are spot on! Certainly puts me off!

Flashing my HTC HD2 is "kiddys stuff" compared to what's required for the Vega. :(

Good example of a Clockwork mod nightmare is HERE!

it is nearly impossible to brick the vega, the clockwork mod is not replacing the NV flash, as this is hard coded to the chip, i have many times had the same issues as the post described but the steps to get back to stock are quite straight forward, can take a little practice getting the key combo right but, eventually will work.

Guest PulsatingQuasar

What I would like to see is a permanent location spoofer if you don't have GPS or another means to set the location.

There are only 2 apps that can set the location but neither can run from the start and run continuously. This would fix a lot of applications I think.

Google Earth can't start without a location and for Maps and other apps it's just handy to have a location. Is this at all possible.

Looking forward to some performance enhancements.

I'm looking forward to R6 when it arrives and brings the switch for USB Host/Slave - appreciate your work Paul.

Of course this is meant as a compliment but, I'm not sure if R7 will bring anything of interest unless its Gingerbread - the current MCR tunes the Vega to the limit of this O/S - the shortfalls are down to devs not developing for the tablet form factor and an inherent lack of required hardware (GPS/3G).

I see the biggest developments/improvements as;

• a certified Adobe Flash player
  • 2.3 / 3.0 development by DSG (or its suppliers)
  • the kernel sources

Similarly, the availablility of some worthwhile "OEM" accessories too would add to the device but, these appear stalled and subject to manufacturers perception of the unit sales to date these will be either supplemented by third party products or never appear.

So bring on R6 Paul ... we're ready to go and especially as it looks like it'll get here before the dock ...

Guest simonta

Hi Paul

Just wanted to add my own encouragement and thanks (made concrete through £10).

Have you seen the VegaN-Tab ROM? I've started a thread on backporting it to the Vega (sounds weird eh? Backporting to whence it came!) and wondered if you'd had any contact with those guys? Would be great to bake some of their tweaks and fixes into mcr7. Otherwise, I'll continue to do a hybrid.

Cheers

Guest trevor432990

@Paul would love to have the tethering mod discussed in the forum put into v7 so that we all have the capability of doing this as it would enable us to get much more usage of the device outside the home environment :(

Guest Tony Williams
@Paul would love to have the tethering mod discussed in the forum put into v7 so that we all have the capability of doing this as it would enable us to get much more usage of the device outside the home environment :(

Fixing the ad hoc wifi connection issue would get my vote. Would love to be able to connect the vega via my iphone when out and about.

Cheers Tony

Guest fracmo2000
Fixing the ad hoc wifi connection issue would get my vote. Would love to be able to connect the vega via my iphone when out and about.

Cheers Tony

i thought we could do this already? i havent tried, will be back with my vega tomorrow and report back

Guest Tony Williams
i thought we could do this already? i havent tried, will be back with my vega tomorrow and report back

Some users seem to be able to tether without issues however I don`t know of anyone with an Iphone who`s got this working. I`ve tried two apps on my Iphone 3GS - PDAnet and MyWi both of which create a hotspot the Vega can see, but the Vega can`t connect. If someone can prove me wrong then great :(

Tony

Guest alfonso323

Hi Paul thanks for your hard work, I just subscribed to your site for a year to support you. Will you improve anything related to the accelerometer playing games, in solving the wrong tilt in x and y axis, and in responsiveness of the accelerometer in the cases it's working?