Looking towards MCR r7 and beyond

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rvdgeer
Seeing as we are asking any chance you are working on cold fusion? Getting a reputation as a miracle worker here Paul.......

I think this will be the first think Paul starts working on after he has finished his perpetual motion machine...

(As far as I know he's tweaking the firmware for it right now, so v1 should be out soon...)

:(

Guest stevesilk51

Hi Everyone,

So there is no confusion, I really have appreciated Pauls work on the mods he has done for us; they have transformed my Vega. Howeve,r the move toward using ClockworkMod as the platform for future updates has really got me in a sweat!

The problems I had trying to unbrick my vega last time I tried the clockworkmod install left me bewildered and feeling quite inadequate; considering myself a reasonably competent person. I believe arad85,

who is far more android savvy than I, posted similar concerns. I have my vega working well again (after days of anguish) with Paul's latest mods inc. usb host etc and want to keep it working well.

The thought of going through "CLockworkMod installation hell" again leaves me very concerned about future updates but obviously I would want them, the reason for me going adfree subs.

I can see the only way of proceding for myself now would be to wait and see how others fare with r7 through ClockworkMod, which sounds wimpish, but beginners, like myself, need that assurance, and, if enthusiasts have also had problems with it then maybe a plea to Paul to write the definitive guide on installing ClockworkMod, problem free, and how to use it for future releases would make life a lot easier for the less proficient among us.

BTW Happy New Year to all.

Guest rvdgeer
Hi Everyone,

So there is no confusion, I really have appreciated Pauls work on the mods he has done for us; they have transformed my Vega. Howeve,r the move toward using ClockworkMod as the platform for future updates has really got me in a sweat!

The problems I had trying to unbrick my vega last time I tried the clockworkmod install left me bewildered and feeling quite inadequate; considering myself a reasonably competent person. I believe arad85,

who is far more android savvy than I, posted similar concerns. I have my vega working well again (after days of anguish) with Paul's latest mods inc. usb host etc and want to keep it working well.

The thought of going through "CLockworkMod installation hell" again leaves me very concerned about future updates but obviously I would want them, the reason for me going adfree subs.

I can see the only way of proceding for myself now would be to wait and see how others fare with r7 through ClockworkMod, which sounds wimpish, but beginners, like myself, need that assurance, and, if enthusiasts have also had problems with it then maybe a plea to Paul to write the definitive guide on installing ClockworkMod, problem free, and how to use it for future releases would make life a lot easier for the less proficient among us.

BTW Happy New Year to all.

Paul has repeatedly said he will only move to a clockworkmod install method if it's 100% safe...

Guest rvdgeer
Ad-hoc wifi is also at the top of my list since i cannot get recovery to work with r6 and thus cannot install update.zip files.

hav you tried applying an update.zip through the software tool?

Don't know if it works, but if you look at the light update manual...

(I take no responsibility for this...)

Guest matthijskox

Thanks!

I've just done this via the software tool. It reboots the device and i got to the screen with the android man and the box. Then nothing. Rebooted, and everything is luckily still there, but ad-hoc is not working unfortunately.

Any more tips?

Should turn USB debugging on or off when updating software using this method? Or doesn't it make any difference.

Are there other ways to enable ad-hoc, for instance through ADB?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by matthijskox

Guest simonta

If you haven't got recovery (I guess you mean clockworkmod) then unzip the update and dig into it. You'll find wpa_supplicant. This is the update. All that appyling this update via clockwordmod will do is replace this file in system/bin (the path the file is stored in inside the ZIP).

To apply it without clockworkmod, simply extract wpa_supplicant, copy it to your sdcard and then use it to overwrite the existing one on the Vega in /system/bin. Do be careful if you're inexperienced. Just replace wpa_supplicant and don't do anything else with files not on your sdcard. A reboot is needed to activate.

wpa_supplicant is the interface between Android and the WiFi driver. The patch enables Android to see ad-hoc APs.

Good luck.

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Edited by simonta

Guest matthijskox
If you haven't got recovery (I guess you mean clockworkmod) then unzip the update and dig into it. You'll find wpa_supplicant. This is the update. All that appyling this update via clockwordmod will do is replace this file in system/bin (the path the file is stored in inside the ZIP).

To apply it without clockworkmod, simply extract wpa_supplicant, copy it to your sdcard and then use it to overwrite the existing one on the Vega in /system/bin. Do be careful if you're inexperienced. Just replace wpa_supplicant and don't do anything else with files not on your sdcard. A reboot is needed to activate.

wpa_supplicant is the interface between Android and the WiFi driver. The patch enables Android to see ad-hoc APs.

Good luck.

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Thanks. I have tried but using es file explorer i cannot overwrite the existing file. Any tips?

Guest rvdgeer
Thanks. I have tried but using es file explorer i cannot overwrite the existing file. Any tips?

Rootexplorer will do the trick...

About the failing update: do you have clockworkmod installed?

Just curious....

Guest matthijskox

I managed to overwrite the file but it doesn't work and now my vega won't connect to any wifi network anymore. Could someone please post the original wpa_supplicant fiel from /system/bin (firmware 1.06.5)? I forgot to backup it... (STUPID).

Guest simonta

OK, don't panic. Probably just the permissions on the file need to be reset.

1. Make sure that USB debugging is turned on (Settings->Applications->Development)

2. Open a command prompt on your PC and change directory to where you have Paul's pack unzipped - the directory where you have adb_windows.exe

3. Type the following and press Enter

adb-windows shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

4. Reboot and try again

Alternatively, you can use Root explorer. Right click (long press) on wpa_supplicant. Check that read is ticked for everyone, write for user only and execute for everyone (first column all ticked, second column only the top box clicked, third column all ticked). I've just tested this by breaking my Wifi with an incorrect wpa_supplicant, copying the patched one on here from my sdcard and using both methods above. It definitely works.

Edited by simonta

Guest Tony Williams
OK, don't panic. Probably just the permissions on the file need to be reset.

1. Make sure that USB debugging is turned on (Settings->Applications->Development)

2. Open a command prompt on your PC and change directory to where you have Paul's pack unzipped - the directory where you have adb_windows.exe

3. Type the following and press Enter

adb-windows shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

4. Reboot and try again

Alternatively, you can use Root explorer. Right click (long press) on wpa_supplicant. Check that read is ticked for everyone, write for user only and execute for everyone (first column all ticked, second column only the top box clicked, third column all ticked). I've just tested this by breaking my Wifi with an incorrect wpa_supplicant, copying the patched one on here from my sdcard and using both methods above. It definitely works.

Yes i can confirm this method works perfectly via my iphone 3gs and the MyWi App, using it now to send this reply! Thanks for the info it seems changing the permissions is the key to getting it working. Tony

Guest matthijskox

OK will try. For now, i have just reflashed everything so it's working again. But i would like to try again. Which zip file did you use to get it working? There are different files floating around on the XDA forum (probably device-specific). And to backup, can i first use something like abd pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant? That would put the original file in the folder i executed the command from or am i wrong?

So here's what i'll do, correct me if i'm wrong:

- get the correct wpa_supplicant file which works on the vega (please advice)

- pull the original file and store it on the sdcard

- chmod thing

- copy new wpa_supplicant file to /system/bin using a file explorer or using abd push wpa_supplicant /system/bin

- Set permissions again using chmod (or not)?

Thanks very much in advance!

Edited by matthijskox

Guest Tony Williams
OK will try. For now, i have just reflashed everything so it's working again. But i would like to try again. Which zip file did you use to get it working? There are different files floating around on the XDA forum (probably device-specific). And to backup, can i first use something like abd pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant? That would put the original file in the folder i executed the command from or am i wrong?

So here's what i'll do, correct me if i'm wrong:

- get the correct wpa_supplicant file which works on the vega (please advice)

- pull the original file and store it on the sdcard

- chmod thing

- copy new wpa_supplicant file to /system/bin using a file explorer or using abd push wpa_supplicant /system/bin

- Set permissions again using chmod (or not)?

Thanks very much in advance!

I can let you have a copy of the modified file if you wish along with a copy of the original unmodified version. If you pm me your email address i'll send you them. Tried uploading them with this post bur it doesn't seem to work! Tony

Guest matthijskox
I can let you have a copy of the modified file if you wish along with a copy of the original unmodified version. If you pm me your email address i'll send you them. Tried uploading them with this post bur it doesn't seem to work! Tony

Thanks, but i've got it working now. I used the wpa_supplicant.zip file from the first post on the XDA forum, put it on the vega and chmodded the file and now all is well!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest godinandroid

Any news on R7 Paul? I guess the kernal has opened up alot of possibilities for you, what sort of features will you be looking include?

My only concern is using clockwork to install, but that is mainly due to my own ignorance and not understanding the instructions (I'll need to look closer).

This isn't a prod or anything like that, I'm just looking forward to your next vega update and am hunting for news ;)

Guest Sir Gash
Any news on R7 Paul? I guess the kernal has opened up alot of possibilities for you, what sort of features will you be looking include?

My only concern is using clockwork to install, but that is mainly due to my own ignorance and not understanding the instructions (I'll need to look closer).

This isn't a prod or anything like that, I'm just looking forward to your next vega update and am hunting for news ;)

The BSODs with ClockworkMod should now be fixed (corruption of the MISC partition). It is worth installing, I couldn't live without it! Besides, most Android ROMS on other devices are installed using ClockworkMod or AmonRa so why should the Vega be different ;)

Edited by Sir Gash