Best keyboard for the Vega?

Guest amazonekilla

Guest amazonekilla

hey all,

got my vega on christmas day, updated it and paid my duties and now have it running the modaco custom rom (thanks paul!) now i was wondering,

whats the best keyboard to use on the advent vega? ive tried smart keyboard pro but when i increase the key size to suit me the letters are not on the keys,

if you understand me, im looking at the square blocks on screen and the letters are half on, half off said blocks, soo i need to try i different keyboard, any ideas?

the main reason is the standard keyboard seems to repeat letters all the time and pressing backspace causes the letter 'i' to be typed???

Thankyou,

Amazonekilla

Advent Vega - Modaco custom rom R5 - V1.06.05 - performance pack.

Guest warriorscot

Gingerbread keyboard is almost as good however you cant change the size of the keys in it and they are quite small. However the small keys seem to work as well as big ones in smart keyboard pro so I would advise trying it and seeing if it will work for you.

Edited by warriorscot

Guest emergant
Gingerbread keyboard is almost as good however you cant change the size of the keys in it and they are quite small. However the small keys seem to work as well as big ones in smart keyboard pro so I would advise trying it and seeing if it will work for you.

I suppose i must be the only one is fairly happy with the stock keyboard then. May well try the gingerbread one one day but i find stock fine except for a lack of cursor keys

hey all,

got my vega on christmas day, updated it and paid my duties and now have it running the modaco custom rom (thanks paul!) now i was wondering,

whats the best keyboard to use on the advent vega? ive tried smart keyboard pro but when i increase the key size to suit me the letters are not on the keys,

if you understand me, im looking at the square blocks on screen and the letters are half on, half off said blocks, soo i need to try i different keyboard, any ideas?

the main reason is the standard keyboard seems to repeat letters all the time and pressing backspace causes the letter 'i' to be typed???

Thankyou,

Amazonekilla

Advent Vega - Modaco custom rom R5 - V1.06.05 - performance pack.

I'd stick with Smart Keyboard Pro,

The 'letters are not on the keys' seems to be a bug if you select the HTC Skin, But it works for all other skins (I use the Galaxy Skin). I've tried the Gingerbread one, but it doesn't do as good a job, although it's better then stock.

Guest griff_dai
I like the stock one in portrait, but i find the landscape one a bit slow (typing this on my vega:)

Can someone link the apk for the gingerbread keyboard please

Guest warriorscot
I like the stock one in portrait, but i find the landscape one a bit slow (typing this on my vega:)

Ditto I have been trying to work out how to force one of the keyboards into portrait size when in landscape with no luck. All the smaller keyboards are gimmicky with weird typing schemes. I just want a nice movable mini keyboard like the default on my s60 phone as the big keyboard needs two hands to type quickly and if you do that how are you supposed to hold the thing.

I always loved the old Samsung keyboard they put on their pdas back in the day that was radial around the bottom corners so you just used your thumbs.

Guest griff_dai
Ditto I have been trying to work out how to force one of the keyboards into portrait size when in landscape with no luck. All the smaller keyboards are gimmicky with weird typing schemes. I just want a nice movable mini keyboard like the default on my s60 phone as the big keyboard needs two hands to type quickly and if you do that how are you supposed to hold the thing.

I always loved the old Samsung keyboard they put on their pdas back in the day that was radial around the bottom corners so you just used your thumbs.

I cant seem to get any other keyboard working than the original,despite selecting others in settings? ?????

Guest rvdgeer
I cant seem to get any other keyboard working than the original,despite selecting others in settings? ?????

When you've 'activated' the keyboard in settings, go to a random input panel (browser/search/mail, just any) and long press it...

Then select 'input method' and choose the keyboard you want to use...

Guest griff_dai
When you've 'activated' the keyboard in settings, go to a random input panel (browser/search/mail, just any) and long press it...

Then select 'input method' and choose the keyboard you want to use...

Genius mate,thanks :(

• 2 months later...
Guest vega user

After reading this post, I tried both the gingerbread keayboard and Smart akeyboard pro. They are both better than the stock keyboard, though I could not get the gingerbreadkeyboard to enlarge the keys to be suitable for tablet typing. The smart keyboard pro can do this as you can set the keyboard height. It is really fast...practically doubled my typing rate compared to the stock keyboard. No more frustrating typos or double key presses. This has really improved the experience of using my advent Vega putting my typing rate up to the speed of using the ipad 2 which I have just tried out.

Guest MaxiP

SwiftKey released a beta of their tablet keyboard last week and it's excellent ! You can register (for free) as a VIP member which gives you access to Beta versions as they are released. I use SwiftKey on my phone and will be buying the tablet version when offocially released.

Guest Fuzzysteve

Thumb keyboard's pretty good.

Not free, but far from pricy, either. Multiple layouts, different layouts for portrait if you want it. Designed for use with just your thumbs, while holding the keyboard. experimenting with the settings and layouts is a good idea to tune it for you.