[ROM] 31/Dec r0.3: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest That-Guy
My Froyo installation went very smoothly but after a few days I realised that I can't send SMSs - I'm not a frequent texter. I've tried with O2 and Three SIMs and I get the dreaded 'The application Messaging (process.com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly."

I've also tried with chompSMS and GO SMS - similar messages.

I can receive SMSs no problem. I assume that as nobody else has reported this it's not endemic to the build. Any ideas?

Did you clear Data and Cache in Clockwork before install?

Guest Rotmann
Just an observation here, if you apply fix5 and then apply fix8, the last fix will overwirte all your hard work in fix5. Therefore if you need both fixes it may be better to do fix8 before doing fix5. Great tut for turning an already great rom into a better one still.

Good point, already changed, thanks.

My Froyo installation went very smoothly but after a few days I realised that I can't send SMSs - I'm not a frequent texter. I've tried with O2 and Three SIMs and I get the dreaded 'The application Messaging (process.com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly."

I've also tried with chompSMS and GO SMS - similar messages.

I can receive SMSs no problem. I assume that as nobody else has reported this it's not endemic to the build. Any ideas?

You did not recover system apps with titanium, did you? System apps recovery is not recommended as it often results with force closes.

Guest threewater
Did you clear Data and Cache in Clockwork before install?

Yes, I did. Followed the instructions to the letter. If I ran ClockworkMod and did it again, then reinstalled 2.2 would it give me a clean install? (I'm doing a system backup using ClockworkMod right now).

Guest threewater
You did not recover system apps with titanium, did you? System apps recovery is not recommended as it often results with force closes.

That's an interesting question. I ran Titanium so that I could reinstall my apps. Then I think I probably ran "Restore all apps with data" but I didn't filter out system apps.

So as I said in my reply to That-Guy, might be a good idea to clear Data and Cache, re-install 2.2 and then restore filtering out System?

Edited by threewater

Guest Rotmann

You can try to flash the ROM and the kernel update and the fixes you need over the current install without wipe, it should overwrite the system apps you broke by restoring. When you recover next time from other ROMs, restore only user apps, there is an option for that.

Edited by Rotmann

@Rotmann

Might need to post alternative 'Services.jar' files, I know from messing around with my theme there's 3 edits I make. Two of them, the signal fix and the transparent background notification drawer shouldn't be a problem but the 3rd one, the statusbar clock colour could be (plus any others I don't know about).

Edited by Mike_P

Guest That-Guy

OK having problems with the Google Maps Fix ;)

I added:

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" />
to the following file:
/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml
Now the finger zoom does not work at all in Google Maps, whats gone wrong? My file now has the same layout as this one: http://code.google.com/p/piraterum/source/...tinct.xml?r=272 I also saw another guide that tells you to add the following:
<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" /> 

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" /> 

to this file:
system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

This also made no difference, any ideas anyone?

@That-Guy

Try it without that 1st line, works for me now. Like you I lost the finger zoom when I did it like you did...

<permissions>

</permissions>

Guest Rotmann
@That-Guy

Try it without that 1st line, works for me now. Like you I lost the finger zoom when I did it like you did...

<permissions>

</permissions>
Hi, the multitouch stuff worked for me without any problems. Could you explain what to modify (what to leave in the fix for the maps), as That-Guy and you had the same problem? Should I just leave this instead of what I wrote?
<permissions>

</permissions>

Mike, could you explain to me what to modify in my guide regarding services.jar ? . Does your theme work with your services.jar repair the signal bars issue?

Edited by Rotmann

Guest That-Guy
So it works now only with this?

As I said it worked for me.

Yeah I just added that to the file and corrected the file permissions (rw-r--r--) now it works fine ;)

Guest Len Ash

Only problems so far (and I have applied the fixes to the zip file and installed rather than the other way around)

Button LEDs don't work

HTML5 may not work - or at least websites don't recognise the phone correctly and keep coming up with "This website hasn't been optimised for a 240 pixel display"!

I'm displaying "O2-UK" as operator - I tried the fix too....!

Other than that, all OK so far.

Guest Rotmann

Button LEDs should work though. Go to a dark room, they should work if you switch on the phone. If not, try putting screen brightness on auto. Can't tell you anything about HTML 5 sites as I don't use.

P.S.: You did flash the new kernel, did you?

Edited by Rotmann

Guest threewater
You can try to flash the ROM and the kernel update and the fixes you need over the current install without wipe, it should overwrite the system apps you broke by restoring. When you recover next time from other ROMs, restore only user apps, there is an option for that.

That worked! Thanks very much. I'm now trying to restore my apps but Titanium is stuck on "building exact app size". That's another problem, but I'm sure I can get round it. Just leaving it running at the moment. . .

Edit: Everything is running perfectly. Thanks to all those who helped. I'm very pleased.

Edited by threewater

Guest Len Ash
Button LEDs should work though. Go to a dark room, they should work if you switch on the phone. If not, try putting screen brightness on auto. Can't tell you anything about HTML 5 sites as I don't use.

P.S.: You did flash the new kernel, did you?

New Kernel

To test the LEDs, I simply cover the light sensor and once the screen dims, the LEDs NORMALLY come on. Likewise, the RED LED on the return button normally comes on when charging, but doesn't.

I'm going to try a reboot - it will be the first and see...

EDIT: LEDs working after reboot.

The web problem is becoming a pain.... Mobile websites no likey this build....

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash

Dammit! WiFi failed for the first time in a week! Comes up wih "Disabled,....."

Still more robust that all other ROMs (2.1 and 2.2 with new Kernel) but by no means sorted.

Could be the DHCP release on the router...

I'll just drink through it.

Edited by Len Ash

Guest tttonyyy
Dammit! WiFi failed for the first time in a week! Comes up wih "Disabled,....."

Still more robust that all other ROMs (2.1 and 2.2 with new Kernel) but by no means sorted.

Could be the DHCP release on the router...

I'll just drink through it.

I've not had Wifi fail yet, I'm glad to say!

One thing I have noticed since installing PowerTutor though, is that occasionally an app in the background will continue to sit there sipping power when it should be inactive. So far I've only see two occurrences of this:

- the built in browser, even if closed and restarted to only show to google search page would sit in the background drawing power via CPU loading (phone reboot fixed - then would sit in background doing nothing)

- the bbc news app sat in the background drawing 3G power 100% of the time - not doing any kind of update as far as I could tell, fixed with force close and restart

More than likely this affects all the 2.2 ROMs, but it is making me paranoid enough to keep an eye on things with PowerTutor's profiler - otherwise battery life could get sucked away for no apparent reason.

Edited by tttonyyy

Hi I have applied this rom and so far so good. One question though, is the phone rooted once you have applied this rom? I wanted to apply the fix for the carrier as mine is showing telefonica o2 instead of giffgaff. I have astro file manager on my phone and cannot for the life of me transfer the file needed to the system part of the phone to replace the old one. I can copy the file ok off of the sd card but when I go to paste it in the folder it is just greyed out. Any help would be most appreciated ;)

Edited by rob77

Guest Rotmann

I have noticed this a few times with yahoo messenger, if i log out and press home, it remains there and sucks juice. If I press back after signing out it closes and does not fook the battery up. Crazy stuff. I first thought it was facebook or google maps.

Why don't you make a r.04 with the new kernel already in place and with all the fixes that are scattered in this thread (wifi fix for example)? I think alot of people would download it.

Why don't you make a r.04 with the new kernel already in place and with all the fixes that are scattered in this thread (wifi fix for example)? I think alot of people would download it.

+1

Although Seb has already said he's working on an update.

Guest tttonyyy

I think he's spending time on the perfect r0.1

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...froyo-oled-tft/

But I think there are many of us won't try that ROM until the problems are ironed out and would prefer a bundled r0.4 here ;)

Guest Rotmann

Maybe he concentrates too much on the Chinese Perfect ROM? Untill Wednesday it must be made perfect :) Not much time left.

Seriously now, i keep wondering myself too ;) It's a petty that the development of this ROM gets interrupted by other activities, like that broken chinese ROM which is older than the japanese one (on which this ROM is based) and does not bring anything new to the game.