CRACKED SCREEN DELL STREAK GOING FOR?

Guest zrospeed

Guest zrospeed

ill be calling dell later for repair or whatever i can get for my streak. been reading around, and im doubtful dell will do anything :( ;)

so im thinking about selling it, and maybe just wait for the lg optimus 2x. or something newer this coming year.

how much would this streak sell for?

Guest User Error

Is the glass cracked or just the LCD? Dell has been pretty good about replacing streaks with screen issues. I got mine replaced with a phone call but my glass was not cracked. Good luck.

Guest zrospeed

just the lcd screen. this is actually my second streak. same issue with the other one. dell replaced my first one no charge. so i dont think they will do it for this one. but i will call them later when i get home.

Guest zrospeed

wow. $224 dollars, plus shipping and handling. thats a bit too much. on contract right now its 100 dollars with at&t. if dell is not going to do anything with it. i will be using my bros upgrade option to probably get another one.

thanks for the link though.

Guest hdbueller
wow. $224 dollars, plus shipping and handling. thats a bit too much. on contract right now its 100 dollars with at&t. if dell is not going to do anything with it. i will be using my bros upgrade option to probably get another one.

thanks for the link though.

It's just like a car or motorcycle....they make their money on parts! For instance, if you buy all of the parts individually to build your car it will cost you 2 to 5 times the original cost just for the parts than it will to purchase it already built. Same with our beloved gadgets.....

Later............. :(

Edited by hdbueller

Guest OmegaStalker

Same thing happened to mine the other day i rang up dell today and they said they would replace it which was really nice of them if you ask me...

Now i have to get rid of DJ Steves build and put something Dell ish on there =P

What are normal o2 streaks running in the UK?

Guest adzman808
It's just like a car or motorcycle....they make their money on parts! For instance, if you buy all of the parts individually to build your car it will cost you 2 to 5 times the original cost just for the parts than it will to purchase it already built. Same with our beloved gadgets.....

Later............. :(

tis true

so as a oem i get charged £1 for a part from the supplier, that i sell to you at £20, shocking isn't it?

but wait...

i need a warehouse to store them in = £100,000pm rent & utilities & taxes

plus what bits do i store? ok so we go thru screens & batt covers a lot - i'll stock lots of them, but what about the led under the home button? i sell like 1 every yr, so do i buy 100 & pay to store something that 99% of the time i wont sell? i could just not stock it all.... but if you need this part & i tell you it's on 6 month back order cos i buy them on order, you'll tell every1 my post sale support is very bad....

so i've got my warehouse full of all the bits to make a phone/car/bike/plane/oven etc, etc ~ what ever it is that i sell

what else do i need?

a team of pickers/packers, cleaners, secuirty guards, support staff (eg IT) lets say 30 bodies @ an average of £10ph x 40hrs per week, 52 weeks a yr, plus employers NI, liability insurance etc etc

then i need a way of each of my local dealers to be able to order your part, confirm availability & deliver it

so, shall we say £250,000 initial outlay + maintenance costs?

the cost of doing this is amortised into the peice cost of each part,

suddenly £20 is still high for a £1 part, but i gotta cover my costs, haven't i?

i used to work in to automotive industry & the complaint of parts cost was a common one, the concept of amortisation not so much

also OEMs get charged amortisation costs for tooling

adzman: i wanna sell a phone with a 6.7" screen, can u make me one

screen oem: yes the cost of the screen is to you £5, but the tooling i need to buy to make your 6.7" screen costs £1,000,000, how many do you want?

adzman: production is 10,000 units incl spares

screen oem: ok then, that's 50K for the parts + 1m for the tooling = £105 per 6.7" screen

Guest adzman808

getting back on topic...

dell SEEM to have realised that there's an lcd issues with the streak

so they should keep replacing it again & again & again

or they need to issue a world wide prod recall or issue every streak owner with a improved device (which aint gonna happen)

so they ought to just keep replacing them as it's ultimately cheaper than accepting any product liability

Guest untrueparadox

the damaged ones sell for $250 on ebay. just saw one go by. no idea what these people buy them for since you cant even order the part for it.

Edited by untrueparadox

Guest delawaredrew

Out of curiousity I put in a price quote request with a dealer in China for 10 lcd screens through aliSPAM. I've had some success with directly sourcing other items in the past so maybe the rep will respond. Not that an order of 10 units is gonna make them jump to reply but it was worth a shot. I've never used aliSPAM as an interface with Chinese manufacturers though.

For the other items I did this for I was looking for 1000's of units so the seller had some motivation to talk to me.

Guest zrospeed
getting back on topic...

dell SEEM to have realised that there's an lcd issues with the streak

so they should keep replacing it again & again & again

or they need to issue a world wide prod recall or issue every streak owner with a improved device (which aint gonna happen)

so they ought to just keep replacing them as it's ultimately cheaper than accepting any product liability

it seems like youre right about it. i just spoke to a dell rep. i told her my situation. she told me that they give at least one replacement. but she said she will talk to her superior about it. and she got back on the phone she said there is a possibility they can replace it again. only problem is: i still have the first one that broke lol. i never got to return it because they never sent me that return label they promised (i even called them a few times about it, but i never got one). so she said she will give me that return label, and that i should return the first one. once they have it i can call them back and ask them again for a replacement. and hopefully they will replace it. fingers crossed.

i miss my dell streak :(

If a new screen/digitizer is $175, $250 seems a bit steep for a broken phone. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on a broken screen Streak, so I've thought a lot about this. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-Streak-mini-5-LCD...0#ht_2817wt_907

the damaged ones sell for $250 on ebay. just saw one go by. no idea what these people buy them for since you cant even order the part for it.

Guest brokenpixel

Sorry for off-topic but dell "DOES NOT" have warehouses that's why they sell "cheaper" than everyone else, I used to work at Dell and that's what they say, at least this is for the PC side of things, don't know the mobile market but I would think it'll be sort of the same.

again, sorry for the off-topic ;)

I'm up for buying your broken streak for less than ehm... $175 :( Considering that I bought mine for 375 with every physical aspect untouched.

Guest zrospeed
Sorry for off-topic but dell "DOES NOT" have warehouses that's why they sell "cheaper" than everyone else, I used to work at Dell and that's what they say, at least this is for the PC side of things, don't know the mobile market but I would think it'll be sort of the same.

again, sorry for the off-topic ;)

I'm up for buying your broken streak for less than ehm... $175 :( Considering that I bought mine for 375 with every physical aspect untouched.

alright. will do. i do have others asking me about it. and i already told them, if dell wont replace it anymore then i guess i have no choice but to sell it.