Which phone will you probably buy after Liquid?

Guest Squide

Guest Ze Mitras
I would like to have a mix of the tegra platform or better with the durability of the defy and either an good community or a nexus when it comes to software

until that comes the liquid will do fine i never bin more satisfied with a phone than the liquid and the next one has to be two steps better on pretty much everything...

I'm actually a bit disapointed with Liquid, because I've just bought it recently and I think know every major dev is running towards other phones.

Well I understand that Liquid had more support from ACER and the general community than most of the phones out there (form android 1.6 to 2.2 and maybe 2.3), but for me who have just joined the "Liquid" world I think it's days are passed :(

Nevertheless, I like very much my Liquid, for the price I've paid it's the better phone out there! Now I would consider a phone with larger community, cyanogen mod fully compatibility, and powerful one ;)

I'm affaraid that LG Optimus 2X will have the same drawbacks as Liquid: low community support

Guest clemsaklumpen
I'm actually a bit disapointed with Liquid, because I've just bought it recently and I think know every major dev is running towards other phones.

Well I understand that Liquid had more support from ACER and the general community than most of the phones out there (form android 1.6 to 2.2 and maybe 2.3), but for me who have just joined the "Liquid" world I think it's days are passed :(

Nevertheless, I like very much my Liquid, for the price I've paid it's the better phone out there! Now I would consider a phone with larger community, cyanogen mod fully compatibility, and powerful one ;)

I'm affaraid that LG Optimus 2X will have the same drawbacks as Liquid: low community support

I think that i would feel that way if i bought my liquid today as well but in the beginning of this year the situation where different then today

when it comes to community i think that every phone witch bin the "top device" if only briefly gets a decent community

Guest split2th
FYI Vache ported AmonRA recovery to Liquid Metal that is able to do Nandroids and Apps2SD, and an outstanding 1,5GHZ OC :(

Wow! 1.5 ghz. How many batteries do you have to carry with you, lol.

I do love my liquid E. I bought it about a month ago when it was just receiving froyo official. I paid 230 CAD, bnib. Considering this is my first android device and my first touch screen device I am really pleased with this thing. Also the community has been great, and it looks like we'll be seeing some gingerbread action soon.

Here are the main problems that I can see. Build quality, this thing feels very cheap. I dropped it from about 1.5 feet and the battery cover popped right off. I bought a silicone case so that pretty much took care of that problem. The next big issue is the touchscreen. Again build quality. It's sometimes a pain to press buttons in the far corners, and multitouch is a pretty weak.

For my next phone I will be looking at build quality a lot closer. Something a lot closer to iphone but running android. I've played with my friends captivate, it's not exactly as solid as an iphone, but I love it and it looks great. I have to agree with most people here tho, I will wait to see what dual core phones come out from htc, samsung, and possibly acer before I make any decisions. I can't wait to see the new LG dual core since it will be first on market, and there is a lot of hype behind that cpu.

PS. I love the idea of owning a nexus one, or S, to have android updated first. But I'm pretty disappointed in the nexus S. How is this an updated nexus device? I'd love to see a comparison of the two.

Edited by split2th

I also got my phone in December 2009 so my phone is now just over a year old. This was my first capacitive touch screen came from a htc touch diamond to this phone. So technically this is only my second smart phone but my first android phone and I loved it. although till about 2.1 the stock 1.6 from seemed clunky and the original baseband seem to drop calls and not have great wi-fi signal. So kudos to acer for much improvement to the functionality to the phone. For sure the battery consumption is so much better in 2.2 than the original 1.6. The only thing I really didn't like hardware wise about the phone is the original a1 is only tri-band 3g. Sucks as I drive through large areas of 850 MHz att spectrum and its switches to edge in those spots. I am also not really impressed with the other phones on the market. The LG 2x looks nice but so far with the leaks and everything... I still feel that acer has been doing a better job supporting the phone then say Sony Ericsson and the community that supports its doesn't really look anything like our liquid community. I mean really its only just got its 2.1 version and we on our phone have unofficially able to rock a 2.2 version pretty solid on our beloved A1 and will get a 2.2 well by the time our community will have a 2.3 solid on the a1 by lol.

Thanks for a great community for the liquid it been a great ride and 2.3 is the last version that will work on phone its been great. I personal hope the new acer phone with the 4.8 screen runs honeycomb and hopefully acer makes it dual core (would be sad to have such a huge phone with anything less than honeycomb and a dualcore in 2011)

Thanks again for making my day using the liquid.

Guest split2th

Forgot to mention. In Canada we have a new frequency that has been auctioned off by our government called aws. I am interested in switching because the prices are really too good to pass up. However, there are not a lot of phones that support aws frequencies, I believe 1700 mhz band. the nexus phones do support these frequencies atm. Also any unlocked T-mobile phone should be good. But that rules out a lot of phones for me. Like the Evo 4g or the captivate. I can get the T-mobile vibrant unlocked, which is very similar to the captivate. Wow, now that I've started thinking about this I've realized that I have a whole lot of choices. Which phone? Which carrier? I'm almost happy that I'm still in contract for the next few months.

Guest HustlinDaily
Forgot to mention. In Canada we have a new frequency that has been auctioned off by our government called aws. I am interested in switching because the prices are really too good to pass up. However, there are not a lot of phones that support aws frequencies, I believe 1700 mhz band. the nexus phones do support these frequencies atm. Also any unlocked T-mobile phone should be good. But that rules out a lot of phones for me. Like the Evo 4g or the captivate. I can get the T-mobile vibrant unlocked, which is very similar to the captivate. Wow, now that I've started thinking about this I've realized that I have a whole lot of choices. Which phone? Which carrier? I'm almost happy that I'm still in contract for the next few months.

Canada is getting the 1700MHz 3G band?

Screw the Vibrant get the Nexus S or the myTouch 4G

Guest split2th
Canada is getting the 1700MHz 3G band?

Screw the Vibrant get the Nexus S or the myTouch 4G

Ya we now have the 1700 3g band in Canada, and like I said the prices are amazing. The Nexus S would be great, but it doesn't have a memory card slot, if I remember correctly. The MyTouch 4g looks great. But it's really T-mobile centric. I don't know what the comunity will look like for it. Where I know the community for the vibrant will be very usable. Overall for aws the nexus phones look good. But I think the vibrants screen might make the difference for me. Btw, The mytouch's 4g capability is not even 4g. I think it's some proprietary tech from T-mobile that won't work anywhere else. Not sure on this tho. Anyways if anyone has some experience with the aws bands in Canada, I'd love to here your opinion.

*Edit* Sorry I know the screen on the nexus s and vibrant are the same. The memory card slot will make the difference.

Edited by split2th

Guest Chewy11

I hope that my nest device will

1 have a support community like this one(who has ideas for good communities)

2 a hardware keyboard(very few androids have em)

3 Defy like build(right now the only one)

4 a flash for camera(5mp is ok for me...give me a flash tho)

5 FM radio(battery hog but free)

6 a bigger screen(for my big fingers)

7 dual core(show me the snappy snappy speed)

8 better multi-touch(doent hurt to ask)

9 1 gig of RAM(will that be enough)

10 same great price range-value Acer gave us with the Liiquid(I'm cheap)

Not really anything out there thats close to my wish list

Guest SpruceyB
a Samsung i think... sure not an Acer again.. Acer hardware sucks compared to other brand.!!!

Samsung hardware might be nice but their software sucks!

It's taken almost 7 months from the phones launch to come up with a ROM that is anywhere near usable. Even then the GPS is still a mess (probably due to antenna design).

The grass is always greener on the other side.

The only brand I've found consistent is HTC.

I'm using a Galaxy S now but I'm seriously considering a Motorola Defy, that phone is sweet and the community for it is starting to pick up some steam, already has root & overclock (ported from Milestone). It's pretty cheap on Amazon too.

Guest merirosvo

A phone with a great communauty is the best ^^ many dev works on liquid and liquid E , ROXX : )

But after i think , nexus S or Galaxy S , for dev and update ^^

I want in my new phone:

* 3.5" display with 960x640 or higher resolution, calibrated IPS. No AMOLEDs, please.

* Hardware keyboard (hello, HTC Desire Z!).

* Proper multi-touch sensor.

* Tegra 2 or better.

* 1GB of RAM.

* 8GB+ of ROM. Apps2sd? Come one! It is 21st century!

* 2000mAh battery.

* WiFi 802.11n at full speed.

* Gorilla Glass.

* Physical Android buttons - I'm sick of sensor buttons.

* DLNA with 1080p support (oh dreams...) or proper HDMI at least.

Something like that, yep.

Guest elgubbo
I want in my new phone:

* 3.5" display with 960x640 or higher resolution, calibrated IPS. No AMOLEDs, please.

* Hardware keyboard (hello, HTC Desire Z!).

* Proper multi-touch sensor.

* Tegra 2 or better.

* 1GB of RAM.

* 2000mAh battery.

* WiFi 802.11n at full speed.

* Gorilla Glass.

* Physical Android buttons - I'm sick of sensor buttons.

* DLNA with 1080p support (oh dreams...) or proper HDMI at least.

Something like that, yep.

i would spend 600€+ on a phone like that, but i guess we will have to wait ... :unsure:

Edited by elgubbo

My wishlist is pretty similar to Auxx's

* 3.7"-4.3" display with 960x640 or higher resolution, calibrated IPS or SuperAMOLED.

* Maybe a hardware keyboard

* A 1.2 GHz with ateleast 2 cores (freescale just announced their prototype processors, one even has quad-cores!!!)

* 1GB of RAM.

* 2000mAh battery.

* Gorilla Glass.

* And I'm guessing that by the time such spec is availble, atleast Android 2.4 or 3.0.

* And most importantly: A community like ours!!! (but with a little more love from paul, hehe)

Guest DiluTe

* 3.7"-4.3" display with 960x640 or higher resolution, calibrated IPS or SuperAMOLED.

* A 1.2 GHz with ateleast 2 cores (freescale just announced their prototype processors, one even has quad-cores!!!)

* 1GB of RAM.

* 2000mAh battery.

* Gorilla Glass.

* And I'm guessing that by the time such spec is availble, atleast Android 2.4 or 3.0.

* And most importantly: A community like ours!!! (but with a little more love from paul, hehe)

+1 for this list :unsure:

Guest MFranK

I'm going to buy a Notion Ink Adam ( B) ), so I'll need a low cost device that has wifi tethering. I think that I'll choose again an Android device, like a Huawei IDEOS or a ZTE Blade :unsure:

Guest Chewy11

Could someone point me to another similarly great community?

I have read thread counts too see what might be good but no descisions...

Maybe follow your favorite dev to their next device.

Guest HustlinDaily

* 1GB of RAM.

* 2000mAh battery.

* Gorilla Glass.

Dude AT&T just released 3 Android devices and I am TORN between 2 of them. Your description ALMOST matches one of them.

Motorola Atrix 4G:

-4" 960x540 24-bit color

-1GHz Tegra 2 Dual Core

-1GB of RAM

-16GB of ROM

-1800mAh battery

-Front facing camera

-Not sure about Gorilla Glass but alot of Motorola phones have them so maybe

-Android 2.2 with MOTOBLUR (not a fan)

--PROBLEM: Locked bootloader (not a fan)

The device I am ton between is HTC Inspire 4G which is pretty much a Desire HD because of the:

-Android 2.2 with new Sense (i love the new Sense)

-Unlocked bootlader

Leaning towards the Motorola but lack of custom ROMs due to locked bootloader (ESPECIALLY SINCE AT&T IS SO DAMN LOCKED DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN'T SIDELOAD APPS ON STOCK ROM unless through ADB) has me questioning.

Guest HustlinDaily
Could someone point me to another similarly great community?

I have read thread counts too see what might be good but no descisions...

Maybe follow your favorite dev to their next device.

If Malez gets a Desire HD, I am copping that Inspire 4G so fast.

Guest edhunter666

Probably a new HTC if they come up with something good, or maybe the new LG Optimus Black if it's got the Tegra 2. I think definitely a 4" screen this time, i find that typing on the Liquid when not in landscape mode can be hard. Also i love the new HTC Sense UI. My sister just got the Galaxy S, but i'm kinda disappointed...

Guest Austerus

I already got a Galaxy S and there's nothing much not to like. I do miss being able to tweak and play with the system but the S-AMOLED screen, great AGPS and the sweet multitouch more than make up for it. I also considered waiting for an affordable Tegra 2 device but I don't see the need for such a boost in processing power, I need more the aforementioned features. Not to mention that the battery life is well above average.

@HustlinDaily

Just checked out Motorola Atrix 4G and i've just got one word- TASTY!!!

Also, word is that Inspire 4G is *very* similar to desire hd. If that is the case then it would be best to first take it for a spin before buying it. Poeple say that Desire HD has a terrible screen.

Edited by Rajit

Guest xdxdxdxdxdx

Meizu M9,i think.3.5inch.960*640.1ghz hummingbird.5megapixel with 720p camcoder.froyo(update forever,i think).10 point multiple-touch(it gona crazy.)

tegra 2(and some duel-core) with more than 4 inch seens powerful and newest and cool and most geilivable smart phone.but it's gona crazy to make a call with a big brick and take several battery in packet(high battery drain).

Guest Lutris

I probably won't make any friends with my response. :unsure:

I'd like... a new dumbphone and a mythical 7" ipad that would fit in my pants pocket.

No, really, hear me out. In the last couple of years, I've tried a iphone 3g, a Nokia N900, a Nexus 1, and a Liquid A1; prior to those I had a Nokia N770 before getting a laptop. I may well have tried more mobile OSs than anyone else who's responded.

I've been using them just as internet tablets -- I still have my 6-year-old dumbphone for making calls and some texting. Mostly that's because I'm cheap, the dumbphone costs me $10/month shared on my parent's family plan, but it's also because the dumbphone is a better phone than most of the smartphones I've tried. It has a vibe I can hear from the next room over, making calls is simple and can be done blind, the battery lasted a week new and is inexpensive to replace, and the whole phone is cheap and durable enough that I can toss it across the room and not worry about it breaking. A new one would have a nice keyboard for texting and would have support for muting at night without muting the morning alarm. The various smartphones have supported some of these features, but few out of the box, and some of the extension have chewed on the battery. I like having something that's single-purpose and simple, in addition to something that's network-connected.

As for smartphone OSs, I've tried iphone os 3, Maemo, and three iterations of android.

Iphone OS 3 was too limiting for me: no multitasking was terrible, and no external keyboard was annoying, especially as the on-screen one is awkward for punctuation. The 3rd party jailbroken app scene was interesting, but it's largely broken for a month or two after the yearly OS updates, and the phone got sluggish after installing a few hacks. On the upside, it had the most polished applications of any smartphone OS I've used, a huge plus. Knowing that OS updates are coming until the hardware's too old to run it is also extremely appealing, although the 2-3 year lifespan isn't. It also has the best browser of any platform in my eye, simple because double-tapping zooms in on the thing you've tapped on; Android just zooms in a fixed amount.

Maemo... well, I should have realized that it would be quarter baked. Maybe in another year or two, if Nokia hasn't seen the light and gone to Android. Nice hardware, other than the resistive screen. Flash support was far better out of the box than on Android, entirely because it doesn't pause playing when you go to another app or the screen sleeps.

Android? It's been a mixed bag for me. I like the menu button, the variety of hardware is nice, the notification system is ok, and being able to use different software keyboards is fantastic. On the other hand, parsimonious on-phone storage is annoying, the applications lack polish and are often buggy, it lacks a lot of basic phone features, and some of the apps that try to add those features chew on your battery (these, annoyingly, showed up in the 'what's eating my battery' display under 'Android System'; took me a month to realize that the phone should last a full day on a charge, let alone several days). Multitasking is iffy, with foreground apps often being unresponsive and background apps dying for lack of RAM, and flash is useless to me as streaming music pauses when backgrounded. The os updates... kinda suck. Google's phones get the updates promptly, some phones get the updates a few months later, some don't get them at all; I want my phone to last a few years, and that includes knowing that OS updates are coming. The homebrew OS images here are nice, but it's been hard to find a stable one; I'll give up a lot of features for the sake of knowing my phone won't turn off at random.

So, I'm thinking my next update will go back to something from Apple. Their newer devices and OS cover most of my complaints; multitasking (enough, at least), bluetooth keyboard support, a higher res screen. I'll still hate their policies, the onscreen keyboard, their notification system, and the way that settings are separate from applications, but at this point I want something with polished applications and some longevity. A $25/month data plan is appealing, too.

Realistically, as they're probably not making a 7" tablet, I'll probably either get an iphone 5 and suck up the high monthly fee and small screen, or an ipad 2 and suck up needing something to carry it in. I'll certainly think about some other device, but those are at the top of my list. I'm also looking for a replacement for my laptop, and a tablet might awkwardly suffice.

I suspect I'll have plenty to complain about no matter what I use, though. I'm too picky for my own good. B)