Help root Liquid E

Guest burningcorps

Guest burningcorps

Just got a Liquid E and want to root it so i can use Titanium and to remove all the useless default apps. Problem is, i cant understand a thing about the rooting processes. People keep talking about flashing roms or bins and it makes no sense. So far ive been trying to use Malez Recovery tool and i cant get it to work. I have 2.2 running right now and saw that Malez was the best way to go on some posts so was trying to run with it. Problem is, i dont understand any of his guides, they arent complete. I downloaded the easy, one-step installer, ran it, had my phone on USB debugging. It did its thing and everything was fine. Went through all three steps and the cmd window closed. My phone shut off, and then nothing. I have to pull the battery to get it to turn back on, and if i try entering recovery mode by holding power + volume down + camera, the screen turns on black, says "verify..." and then shuts off again. What else do i need to do?

Please, give step by step instructions if you can :(

I assume that you have a Windows pc. Just download and run this exe: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez...mp;can=2&q=

Follow the instructions and you'll have malez recovery on your phone. Then turn off your phone, and hold down the volume-down + camera + power button and your device should boot into recovery. Now navigate to the root menu using the volume keys, and enter the menu using the menu key. In there, there are 3 ways to root the device, and one to check if the phone is already rooted. Go to your desired option, press menu and then press home button to confirm. Your phone should be rooted.

This method would give you a stock rooted device. If you install a custom rom, your phone will automatically be rooted.

Guest HustlinDaily

Ic that you are in Canada so I am assuming that you have a Rogers or Fido Liquid E.

For some reason, the one-click installer for malez has problems installing onto Rogers/Fido ROMs (don't have a Rogers/Fido phone so can't tell you anything firsthand) but in order to install it, you would need to use this guide- http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...z-recovery-fix/

Once you get Malez running, you can use it to root the phone and install Titanium to remove apps you don't want and whatnot.

As far as ROMs and bins go:

-A ROM is an operating system created by developers on this forum. Many are optimized versions of Acer ROMs (some do have added features, etc), some are ports from other Android devices. Ones based on official ROMs have all hardware working, while the rest have most hardware working (what works/what does not work is usually listed on the first page of a thread introducing a new ROM). These are packed in .zip format and can be flashed onto your phone using malezrecovery (most of the ones out today can be flashed on top of any 2.2 bin)

-A bin is an operating system distributed by Acer (well extracted from official Acer releases OR leaked to the public for flashing onto your phone. We received leaks prior to receiving official Eclair/Froyo). Flashing a .bin is the only way to change the baseband version (baseband is simply the software which connects your phone to the networik. Higher version may mean better reception/call quality/etc of your phone). Here is a nice step by step guide on how to flash a .bin- http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...-acer-liquid-e/ and here is a list of all bins available for the Liquid- http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...act-collection/

Guest burningcorps

Will it let me keep 2.2? From what i understand, the zip file that i have to move to the SD card is an update, in a way. Will it downgrade me to an older version?

Edit: That is, i mean the modified Malez recovery.

Edit2: YES! it worked...i think, at least i finally got to this recovery mode. Thank you ;)

Edit3: Nope, it didnt. I ran Nandroid, then flashed the .zip file from the SD card. Everything completed. Then rebooted the phone, but its still telling me i dont have root. Any ideas?

Edit4: Oh i saw it. Had to use the recovery mode menu to root. I did method 1.1 and tested if its rooted after, inside the recovery menu. It said that the system was rooted. Except, after i rebooted, Titanium is still saying its not rooted. I checked again to make sure in recovery menu, and it still says that my phone is rooted. What else must i do? I now have a Superuser Permissions app and added Titanium to it.

...er scratch that O_o Thats weird, i reinstalled it twice, and only on the second time it realised my phone was rooted and started to work. Thank you for all the help :(

Edited by burningcorps

Guest Koki1337
Will it let me keep 2.2? From what i understand, the zip file that i have to move to the SD card is an update, in a way. Will it downgrade me to an older version?

Edit: That is, i mean the modified Malez recovery.

Edit2: YES! it worked...i think, at least i finally got to this recovery mode. Thank you ;)

Edit3: Nope, it didnt. I ran Nandroid, then flashed the .zip file from the SD card. Everything completed. Then rebooted the phone, but its still telling me i dont have root. Any ideas?

Edit4: Oh i saw it. Had to use the recovery mode menu to root. I did method 1.1 and tested if its rooted after, inside the recovery menu. It said that the system was rooted. Except, after i rebooted, Titanium is still saying its not rooted. I checked again to make sure in recovery menu, and it still says that my phone is rooted. What else must i do? I now have a Superuser Permissions app and added Titanium to it.

...er scratch that O_o Thats weird, i reinstalled it twice, and only on the second time it realised my phone was rooted and started to work. Thank you for all the help :(

You have to install busybox to get Titanium running no?

Guest Harness

Yes, you have to add busybox (Malez -> Other -> Install Busybox) for Titanium to work. Busybox is a linux mulit-call toolbox that allows you/your phone to execute multiple functions not available regularly.

Harness.

Guest split2th
Yes, you have to add busybox (Malez -> Other -> Install Busybox) for Titanium to work. Busybox is a linux mulit-call toolbox that allows you/your phone to execute multiple functions not available regularly.

Harness.

In titanium press the problems button. There you'll find an option to install busybox. Although I guess you've already found this considering it's now working. I'm also on rogers/fido froyo, and had to use the Modified Malez fix. Thanks again harness.