can't add google account

Guest markinton

Guest markinton

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

I've installed Paul's r5 Rom, with the performance pack and notification bar without any problems. However, when i try to add my existing google account to the device I get the following message:

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server"

Wifi and internet connections are solid, and the account is fine via my android phone.

I've googled the problem and it seems to be common with various android devices. The most common suggested solution is to perform a factory reset. I've tried the "erase all data and settings" option on the vega, this hasn't solved the problem.

I've tried setting up a new accout, again no luck.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by markinton

Guest trevor432990

Try installing 'My Fake Location' app and use settings to set-up a mock location. I suspect the servers it's trying to find are for locating your current position so give it a whirl then retry Google account

Guest Toxophilite

I've installed Paul's r5 Rom, with the performance pack and notification bar without any problems. However, when i try to add my existing google account to the device I get the following message:

Wifi and internet connections are solid, and the account is fine via my android phone.

I've googled the problem and it seems to be common with various android devices. The most common suggested solution is to perform a factory reset. I've tried the "erase all data and settings" option on the vega, this hasn't solved the problem.

Thanks

I didn't have a Google account, so I set one up using my PC.

Using Google Mail on the Vega (I'm using Paul's R4 Rom), I had no problem accessing the account.

Perhaps it's a problem with the original Google account settings - if you originally set up the account using your phone?

Guest markinton

Thanks

Okay, this problem is driving me mental.

I've tried the following:

- manually clearing data from the google apps

- doing an "erase all"

- reformating the sd card

- complete reinstall (back to official rom 1.6, then R5+pp)

- setting up a new account

- using another accout (my wifes') which has never been near an andriod phone

still can't get any google accounts added. So no access to Market or gmail. Also I get a network error when I open the youtube app, and can also not sign-in using my google username (has just occured to me to try my youtube username, assosciated with the same account, I'll try that later).

Is it correct that Paul's rom doesn't include the full Google App's which would walk you through the account setup at startup? (I just get language setup -> licence -> date and time -> finish) And that the propper process is then to add an account through settings -> account and sync -> add account -> google (or open Market or gmail apps which take you through the same settings).

To reiterate internet connection is completely solid and the account is working fine.

Guest markinton
Try flashing back to 1.6 stock then boot and register your account with the normal stock start up process before applying the r5 add on.

I don't think you can add a Google account in the stock build can you? Apologies if I have that wrong.

M

Guest markinton
Did you try my suggestion (see above) ????

I did have a quick look for an apk for my fake location without success. Given that no one else seems to have come across this problem I was confident a re-install would do the trick. I'll have a good look later and give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestion, rude of me not to reply before. My faffing about with new gadget at Christmas allowance only lasted as long as it took my wife to get her kindle going!

M

Guest trevor432990
I did have a quick look for an apk for my fake location without success. Given that no one else seems to have come across this problem I was confident a re-install would do the trick. I'll have a good look later and give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestion, rude of me not to reply before. My faffing about with new gadget at Christmas allowance only lasted as long as it took my wife to get her kindle going!

M

No probs. Being an Android device most apps consider it as mobile and therefore try to get the device location and there have been a number of posts from users recently where their apps did not work until 'My Fake Location' was run so thought it was worthwhile you trying. It is definitely on the Android Market as a free app for download. Good luck

UPDATE:- Sorry just re-read your posts and see you cannot get onto the Market so if you go to this website using your Vega you will be able to download it

Edited by trevor432990

Guest markinton
...It is definitely on the Android Market as a free app for download. Good luck

Ah, but without an account I can't use the market! (Yosserian looked at the doc for a moment, "that's one hell of a catch you got there doc!") :(

M

Edited by markinton

Guest trevor432990
Ah, but without an account I can't use the market! (Yosserian looked at the doc for a moment, "that's one hell of a catch you got there doc!") :(

M

Oh darn it silly people just linked it back to market.

OK have you tried SETTINGS > LOCATION & SECURITY SETTINGS > USE WIRELESS NETWORKS and 'untick' box ? Then retry Google

Edited by trevor432990

Guest markinton

OK have you tried SETTINGS > LOCATION & SECURITY SETTINGS > USE WIRELESS NETWORKS and 'untick' box ? Then retry Google

Tried it, no luck I'm afraid. Thanks for the effort.

At this point I'm hoping for somthing from R6 as Paul has said there are some changes to the google apps fraimwork.

M

Guest markinton

At this point I'm hoping for somthing from R6 as Paul has said there are some changes to the google apps fraimwork.

M

Guest trevor432990

M

OK thanks for letting me know. Hope you can sort it out quickly :(

Guest markinton

Okay. Found the source of the problem if not the cause. There is somthing in the settings of my home internet connection blocking the necessary coms with the Google server. But only when setting up the account not in use as far as I know.

Logged on to a public hotspot and added an account without a problem. Found the same fault when I tried to add a new account to my phone via home wifi with mobile data disabled.

Weird, but not a problem for a Vega forum.

Thanks for those who tried to help.

M

Guest trevor432990
Okay. Found the source of the problem if not the cause. There is somthing in the settings of my home internet connection blocking the necessary coms with the Google server. But only when setting up the account not in use as far as I know.

Logged on to a public hotspot and added an account without a problem. Found the same fault when I tried to add a new account to my phone via home wifi with mobile data disabled.

Weird, but not a problem for a Vega forum.

Thanks for those who tried to help.

M

This still sounds awfully like a location problem to me so can you try one last thing if you haven't already. SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS if that is not ticked then tick it and try Google account set-up again. Also ensure SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS & SYNC > BACKGROUND DATA & AUTO SYNC are both ticked

Edited by trevor432990

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blue Gas
This still sounds awfully like a location problem to me so can you try one last thing if you haven't already. SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS if that is not ticked then tick it and try Google account set-up again. Also ensure SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS & SYNC > BACKGROUND DATA & AUTO SYNC are both ticked

Thanks so much trevor432990

I had this problem and your solution has worked :unsure:

• 4 months later...
Guest FrankE

Worked for me too! Cheers! :unsure:

Guest AndBot
Worked for me too! Cheers! :rolleyes:

I have tried keeping boxes ticked and unticked including all and some of them in various patterns but no luck what so ever. :P

Guest AndBot
I have tried keeping boxes ticked and unticked including all and some of them in various patterns but no luck what so ever. :P

Also tried installing my fake location from Android Zoom with no success. My Vega does not seem to download the app for some reason. Tried it with 3 different email accounts but I could not get it to download. I then found a download for the .apk file copied it to the Vega and tried a manual install and guess what the install failed. So frustrating when it should be so simple.

Will try to update the rom and see if I can get somewhere.

EC Version: 1.9.0

Kernel version: 2.6.32.9_P10_v1.09_20110211_DIX

Build number: harmony 2.2 FRF91 20110211.101539

Guest AndBot

Well it's all sorted after updating the to r8 thank you. Not sure why the stock software had so many limitations. The tablet now has all the google goodies it should have had out of the box and it's a pleasure to use. :P