[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest thelongmile
Is yours very new? As in OUK ....B10?

There appears to be some subtle hardware differences between various batches (which is fairly commonplace to be fair).

I brought it two days ago with the sole intention of learning android from the inside out ... I assume it's OUK... argos had stock wierdly, although I can't say I like the white plastic cover... too smooth... they were out of stock of the grey I can't actually see anywhere that has the OUK reference, but, if you want me to check anything feel free to ask!

Guest ahngau
If anyone wants the "Battery Circle Mod" AND a proper battery-saving Auto Brightness control that works well on OLEDs and really well on TFTs, try this via CW

I've spent a good while with a Lux meter... and added 3 extra steps for increased transition smoothness...

(Don't do it if you have a Theme installed, it will remove it)

Thanks for the work. I have frankish's theme installed and would like to apply your changes to the decoded framework-res. Couldn't get autobrightness to work at all if I just modify the arrays.xml.

Any hints on what did I do wrong?

Guest tomthered

The partititon is done on the phone itself to give more space for a data partition and minimise what space is allocated for the system. Think of it like partitioning a hard drive on a computer, one for the operating system and one for the data storage.

Guest Len Ash
Thanks for the work. I have frankish's theme installed and would like to apply your changes to the decoded framework-res. Couldn't get autobrightness to work at all if I just modify the arrays.xml.

Any hints on what did I do wrong?

You may have done this or some already, so forgive me if so...

The way I do it... (assuming Windows on PC)

Unzip the theme and then open the system/framework folder and copy his framework-res.apk in to your (previously installed) APKTool 1.3.1 folder. (Not 1.3.2 - it's borked)

Open cmd window, cd in to APKTool folder, type "apktool d framework-res.apk oldjj9" - you will then have a folder called oldjj9 in the apktool folder

Then open oldjj9, res, values and work on arrays.xml in a good text editor using UTF8 encoding (ffs not notepad!)

for ref, these are the values I am now using after some protracted trials...

<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessLevels">

<item>10</item>

<item>150</item>

<item>650</item>

<item>1000</item>

<item>2000</item>

<item>5000</item>

<item>10000</item>

<item>20000</item>

<item>25000</item>

<item>30000</item>

</integer-array>

<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessLcdBacklightValues">

<item>15</item>

<item>20</item>

<item>30</item>

<item>40</item>

<item>60</item>

<item>80</item>

<item>100</item>

<item>120</item>

<item>180</item>

<item>225</item>

<item>255</item>

</integer-array>

<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessButtonBacklightValues">

<item>5</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

</integer-array>

<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessKeyboardBacklightValues">

<item>5</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

<item>0</item>

These work extremely well on TFT Blades, and well on OLEDs. OLED brightness control range is somewhat limited at the lower end by the Samsung display driver IC, whereas the LED backlights on the TFTs are effectively infinitely variable, but do "bottom out" eventually.

Once you have array amended, save and then back to apktool

"apktool b oldjj9 framework-res.apk" and it may be worth deleting the original framework-res.apk in the apktool folder before this to avoid it having problems...

Then copy the newly compiled file to an "auto sign" folder and sign with the platform keys. Then add to your zip file if you want a ROM install

Or

use one of the later theme update zips and copy in to there after removing all the other stuff. As an example, take Frankish's JJ GB theme update, unzip, remove services.jar, and replace the framework-res.apk that's in there (which is effectively the one you took and amended. Then rezip and flash using CW in recovery....

For some reason, using adb to push the modded framework-res.apk file never works, whether signed or unsigned. Weird.

Edited by Len Ash

Guest ahngau

Thanks for the detailed instruction. Apparent apktools osx version isn't working (resulting file is 2mb smaller) Will have to get a win box to try it again.

Guest taannuk

I need some advice with the texting. I typed SMS and in the recipient's field started typing the name from the address book - it appeared in a predicted mode - I chose the contact with the number and sent SMS. When I received a reply from this contact - I can see "UNKNOWN" instead of the mobile number or name. The Sender (and the Receiver - same number and person) is in my address book in the phone.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation? How to rectify?

Thank you!

Guest Gibbo501

Is there some sort of regional setting required for JJ? I noticed on the Facebook app that an appointment was showing something like 06.30 instead of 20.30 GMT.

And when I was on the Ebay app it wouldn't let me pay for anything with Paypal, nor would it give the UK postage costs for any listings I viewed - instead it just said "contact buyer for a postage quote".

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest mkzee

Hi,

I moved to RLS9 a week ago from original orange rom and so far i am impressed. I was trying to find the details of the following that should i install any of these or not. Sorry! if it has been asked before but cant see how can i go through all 200+ pages. So, can someone pelase give details of the following apps with the benefits of each.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_ahb_overclocked.zip (50% AHB bus overclocking at speeds above 600MHz addon) MD5: E7085706514C4237F2BEA3BD3B3E26D0

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_hw_ui.zip (Addon to enable hardware accellerated UI) MD5: F65302426A12077CDFB5C389B3BF1358

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_circle_battery.zip (Addon to enable circle battery indicator) MD5: 5C83B00A26F1DA4D1F0E42F7BAF40FBE

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_deskclock.zip (Addon to replace Alarm Clock with Desk Clock) MD5: FBBEB626B5E06D7EEF2097844C6525FB

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_blueish_kbd.zip (Addon to change orange to blue on G-bread kbd) MD5:27B4C271657B42C0A52B10FDF4611979

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_smartdialer_addon.zip (Restore Smart Dialer and RLS7 version of Contacts) MD5: 9FCB24D6DDE54527D15CE6C06DBF1D94

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_group_contacts.zip (Restore RLS8 cersion of Contacts and ContactsProvider) MD5:324174EFD7F5CFCDC969D7EAEA8C5835

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_rds_radio.zip (RDS capable kernel and Andorkos FMRadio 0.6) MD5:F0B72DCB0742414AE957F92B1578690C

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_rds_radio_ahb.zip (RDS capable kernel (ahb overclocked version) and Andorkos FMRadio 0.6) MD5:D6FFF8ABCF04FEC2C589AEDEB3F9F7FB

Thanks

Guest Dangermouse500

I have put RL9 on but having trouble setting the wallpaper. There is only Gallery app-wise that I can see which can change it. When I locate the pic I want (which is already in 800*480 res) it zooms in so only a section of it can set set to wallpaper?

Can anybody help please?

Guest Len Ash
I have put RL9 on but having trouble setting the wallpaper. There is only Gallery app-wise that I can see which can change it. When I locate the pic I want (which is already in 800*480 res) it zooms in so only a section of it can set set to wallpaper?

Can anybody help please?

You have used the Wallpaper "button" from the "menu" (centre hard) button at the home page??? Sounds like not...

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Dangermouse500
You have used the Wallpaper "button" from the "menu" (centre hard) button at the home page??? Sounds like not...

Yes but as I said in my post it zooms in on my picture not letting me select the entire image.

How can I get my picture into the Live Wallpapers section or Wallpapers section? My picture is only found in the Gallery.

Guest targetbsp
I've said several times on this forum that HW Accel makes the game Leave Devil Alone much faster. Try the demo with and without! The difference is VERY obvious without any kind of measurement. That is the only title I know for sure is affected. Before all the roms had it on by default, I actually used the game to test whether new roms had it enabled before going to the trouble of editing the build.prop. :D

I've confirmed this behaviour again in Swedish Spring which had HW UI disabled by default (now I've enabled it :( ). If anyone needs proof that HW UI actually does something play with this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/leave-devil-al...d/com.hero_lite (it's a faster paced and more difficult version of Plants v Zombies)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest mkzee
I've confirmed this behaviour again in Swedish Spring which had HW UI disabled by default (now I've enabled it :D ). If anyone needs proof that HW UI actually does something play with this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/leave-devil-al...d/com.hero_lite (it's a faster paced and more difficult version of Plants v Zombies)

I have already installed JJ RLS9. Can I now install UI, circle battery addon or do i need to remove everything again and install it from scratch to have my choosen addons?

Guest targetbsp

You should be able to put the addons on at any point (except possibly the contact related ones - they might need appropriate data wiped)

Guest mkzee
You should be able to put the addons on at any point (except possibly the contact related ones - they might need appropriate data wiped)

Thanks. Is installing addons same as installing ROM and can i use the the modaco guide i previously followed to install jellyfish rom?

Guest targetbsp

Yes, just copy it to your sd card and tell clockwork or recovery manager to flash it (without wiping).

Edited by targetbsp

Although this ROM supports Froyo Apps2SD, I'm trying to use a 512MB ext3 primary partition that I created on my SD card to install applications.

What exactly do I have to do (besides creating the partition) in order to accomplish that?

I have installed JJ RLS9 using the instructions at http://www.orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/, so I have ClockworkMod v 3.0.0.6, I now want to install the circle battery, but the install comes up with

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.[/codebox]

Any advise as to how I can install the circle battery?

Thanks.

Guest Pelemane
I have installed JJ RLS9 using the instructions at http://www.orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/, so I have ClockworkMod v 3.0.0.6, I now want to install the circle battery, but the install comes up with

Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.[/codebox]

Any advise as to how I can install the circle battery?

Thanks.

It doesn't work with new CWM but you can install theme with circle battery from here.

Guest mkzee
Yes, just copy it to your sd card and tell clockwork or recovery manager to flash it (without wiping).

Thanks. I used install firmware update feature from ZTE recovery manager and now i can see circle battery indicater. I also installed HW UI patch as well but cant see any improvement. I will try the game suggested in this thread earlier this week.

Guest robinhud2010
Hi,

I moved to RLS9 a week ago from original orange rom and so far i am impressed. I was trying to find the details of the following that should i install any of these or not. Sorry! if it has been asked before but cant see how can i go through all 200+ pages. So, can someone pelase give details of the following apps with the benefits of each.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_ahb_overclocked.zip (50% AHB bus overclocking at speeds above 600MHz addon) MD5: E7085706514C4237F2BEA3BD3B3E26D0

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_hw_ui.zip (Addon to enable hardware accellerated UI) MD5: F65302426A12077CDFB5C389B3BF1358

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_circle_battery.zip (Addon to enable circle battery indicator) MD5: 5C83B00A26F1DA4D1F0E42F7BAF40FBE

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_deskclock.zip (Addon to replace Alarm Clock with Desk Clock) MD5: FBBEB626B5E06D7EEF2097844C6525FB

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_blueish_kbd.zip (Addon to change orange to blue on G-bread kbd) MD5:27B4C271657B42C0A52B10FDF4611979

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_smartdialer_addon.zip (Restore Smart Dialer and RLS7 version of Contacts) MD5: 9FCB24D6DDE54527D15CE6C06DBF1D94

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_group_contacts.zip (Restore RLS8 cersion of Contacts and ContactsProvider) MD5:324174EFD7F5CFCDC969D7EAEA8C5835

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_rds_radio.zip (RDS capable kernel and Andorkos FMRadio 0.6) MD5:F0B72DCB0742414AE957F92B1578690C

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_rds_radio_ahb.zip (RDS capable kernel (ahb overclocked version) and Andorkos FMRadio 0.6) MD5:D6FFF8ABCF04FEC2C589AEDEB3F9F7FB

Thanks

I suggest you take a look here at Blade's Android Glossary.