[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest dmxpowa

actually first quadrant (in airplane mode) gave me something like 960 score then i reran it got something like 1030 and then tried again and i got 1097

so yeah, Quadrant is bullshit tho the rom is capable to do that much point in it as OP posted in the first post.

/thread (regarding to quadrant.)

Guest Uncle_Meat

First post. *Pop*.

Be gentle with me....

First of all, superb work by all you ROM twiddlers here, Kailt, Paul, Seb and Fibble in particular. If I could only share this bottle of Brandy that I've just cracked open here...

Anyway. I'm currently back on using Pauls R4 2.1 on my device at the moment, but after a fir bit of playing both Jellyfish and Sebs desoftened ROMS work superbly on my phone. No signs of any lockups or problems in any respect. Nice and smooth and sod what the benchmarks say. Benchmarks are like penis extensions. Great for bragging rights, but it's how you use it that matters..

I'll stop rambling and get to the point anyway. One gripe, which is the same across both JJ and desoftened.

Signal strength indicatior. This appears to be far more optimistic than the readings I get on 2.1. This also agrees with the signal strength readings I get from my Nokia 6700. On 2.1, signal (around 2, maybe 3 bars here) agrees with my nokia, with the readings on both handsets rising and falling according to location as you would expect.

On 2.2, I get either full strength or nothing at all. Well, maybe a 3 bar before it drops completely, but I have noticed it will go from full to no network sometimes. Network coverage around here is dodgy at best, and I can walk through my house and go from 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - No coverage on 2.1 and my nokia. On 2.2. 5 bars, then maybe 3 then nothing.

Another thing I noticed too, when playing with Frankishs' Revo theme on 2.2, even with no coverage the signal indicator would still show 5 bars and the lock screen would still show "Orange". The only indication that I had lost coverage would be my 2G icon disappearing.

Finally, I noticed that in Settings/Status, there is no signal strength indicator.

I imagine there is a table somewhere in the software that equates signal strength received by the chipset into the screen reading that must be different between 2.1 and 2.2. (-95dBm = 2 bars on 2.1, but = 5 bars on 2.2 for example) but I wouldn't know where to go looking for it myself. Judging by the above, where the Revo theme would give a false reading I imagine it is somewhere there.

I'll stop rambling now.... Cheers! :unsure:

I'm stuck in the boot screen flash image, I wiped the data to do a clean install to version 3b and rebooted from clockwork and now I can't get to the home screen. I've removed and restarted my phone 2 times now. Have I buggered it?

Try flashing the ROM again. Do note the first bootup after a new install can take 5-10 minutes.

ok i'll make a cuppa and get back to the phone. If it takes 5-10 mins then I guess I have to be patient. :unsure:

edit - im in phew!!!!!!

Guest MroziQ

I tried to install this ROM two times and unfortunately it stops at bootloader animation (I've been waiting 40 minutes). I had to came back to MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) :unsure:

i can make a list later today of apps which i have deleted if someone is concerned, but im pretty sure some of those apps are not letting your phone to sleep, which is the cause of the battery drain.

i would be highly interested in such a list

Guest Frankish
First post. *Pop*.

Be gentle with me....

First of all, superb work by all you ROM twiddlers here, Kailt, Paul, Seb and Fibble in particular. If I could only share this bottle of Brandy that I've just cracked open here...

Anyway. I'm currently back on using Pauls R4 2.1 on my device at the moment, but after a fir bit of playing both Jellyfish and Sebs desoftened ROMS work superbly on my phone. No signs of any lockups or problems in any respect. Nice and smooth and sod what the benchmarks say. Benchmarks are like penis extensions. Great for bragging rights, but it's how you use it that matters..

I'll stop rambling and get to the point anyway. One gripe, which is the same across both JJ and desoftened.

Signal strength indicatior. This appears to be far more optimistic than the readings I get on 2.1. This also agrees with the signal strength readings I get from my Nokia 6700. On 2.1, signal (around 2, maybe 3 bars here) agrees with my nokia, with the readings on both handsets rising and falling according to location as you would expect.

On 2.2, I get either full strength or nothing at all. Well, maybe a 3 bar before it drops completely, but I have noticed it will go from full to no network sometimes. Network coverage around here is dodgy at best, and I can walk through my house and go from 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - No coverage on 2.1 and my nokia. On 2.2. 5 bars, then maybe 3 then nothing.

Another thing I noticed too, when playing with Frankishs' Revo theme on 2.2, even with no coverage the signal indicator would still show 5 bars and the lock screen would still show "Orange". The only indication that I had lost coverage would be my 2G icon disappearing.

Finally, I noticed that in Settings/Status, there is no signal strength indicator.

I imagine there is a table somewhere in the software that equates signal strength received by the chipset into the screen reading that must be different between 2.1 and 2.2. (-95dBm = 2 bars on 2.1, but = 5 bars on 2.2 for example) but I wouldn't know where to go looking for it myself. Judging by the above, where the Revo theme would give a false reading I imagine it is somewhere there.

I'll stop rambling now.... Cheers! :unsure:

Regarding the Revo theme it displays the signal bars properly for me!? All i have done is replaced images in the stock framework-res.apk which means all the calls at certain signal strength for certain images are EXACTLY the same.

I tried to install this ROM two times and unfortunately it stops at bootloader animation (I've been waiting 40 minutes). I had to came back to MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) :unsure:

did you do a proper wipe before installing the ROM?

Guest IronDoc
Regarding the Revo theme it displays the signal bars properly for me!? All i have done is replaced images in the stock framework-res.apk which means all the calls at certain signal strength for certain images are EXACTLY the same.

I would imagine it's something to do with the base 2.2 ROM having different thresholds to Paul's 2.1. As you said, you haven't changed anything at a low enough level to affect how it shows signal.

On the topic of benchmarks, they have their uses. If this was getting consistently at 900 whereas other ROMs based on the same froyo were getting around 1000 it would show you that there's something affecting the performance. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not just affecting the bench, but you would be foolish not to check if it was something that would affect normal use.

Edited by IronDoc

Guest Chaz_UK

Just installed it on my SanFransisco and upon the first boot it seems great! Far, far better than the stock Android 2.1 release.

Time to play with some themes and stuff. Great work. :unsure:

Sure. And I use recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-blade

did you install it one at a time?

i.e install the main rsl3b rom from overclock, reboot, let it launch into the home screen then

install the overclock rom then reboot and let it launch into the home screen?

Guest Uncle_Meat

I've just been nosying in the framework-res.apk and I can see that is the case. Weird.

I noticed this when I was out at the farm the other evening, a location where there is no coverage from *any* network whatsoever. The Revo theme was showing as full strength. I first thought "Cool! Orange/T-Mobile must have lobbed another mast up..", until I tried to use the actual phone... I went over to the Elegant Steel theme and that showed no bars (Can't remember if that also showed a little X also..) to signify no coverage as you would expect.

Maybe it was a flashing anomoly, as I had downloaded both themes to my SD card earlier that day via the phone so maybe little corruption along the way?

Either way, the way 2.2 reports signal strength compared to 2.1 is still a little screwy in the way it overestimates it. I'll have some time to do some more playing around tomorrow. Any ideas on how I can get settings/about, or at least any 3rd party software to report the actual signal in dBm so I can do some direct comparisons?

Guest MroziQ
i.e install the main rsl3b rom from overclock, reboot, let it launch into the home screen then

It can't turn on. After flashing and reboot by recovery there appear a boot animation and... and it's all. I have to pull out the battery and install buckup rom by recovery.

Guest jlgmax

Just installed RLS3b and the overclock zip. Its running like a dream ! When I run Quadrant I only get 814, not sure why its that low (I didnt run in Airplane mode maybe thats why) but it certainly feels smoother than anything Ive had running on my San Fran so far so thanks for all the great work !

Guest Xenon0816
It can't turn on. After flashing and reboot by recovery there appear a boot animation and... and it's all. I have to pull out the battery and install buckup rom by recovery.

Try using the old clockwork mod 2.5.0.9. I use this version and everything works fine for me.

2.5.1.3 is known to be buggy.

Hope that helps!

Guest chall32
Anyone else getting wifi disconnect while screen is off? Then reconnects when screen is back on...

What is your "Home screen > Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy" set to?

Sounds like you need to set yours to "Never" rather than "When screen turns off" (which is the default).

WARNING: Setting Wif-Fi to never sleep can seriously eat through your battery charge!!! You have been warned :unsure: