OLED or TFT /contacts backup

Guest thegom

Having got an Orange San Francisco for Christmas I’m still finding my way around it. Knowing nothing about Android I’m still reading lots of stuff on the web and trying to get my head around it all. I shall probably “de Orange” it later when I work up enough courage but for now I’m looking for answers to a couple of elementary questions.

First: it seems that SFs used to have OLED screens but now have tfts. I don’t understand the difference and probably don’t need to but I read that the tfts might give problems when trying to “de-Orange” or install a new ROM. I assume that as mine was bought in the last couple of weeks it has the later tft screen but is there a way to tell?

Second: I’ve copied over the contacts from my old phone via the SIM card but some details got mangled in the process and I’ve spent quite some time editing them on the SF but it’s a tedious process and haven’t yet finished. Is there a way of editing the contacts list on my PC and then storing a back-up of it on the PC? My old Nokia came with a program on CD that made both these tasks easy but I’ve not been able to find anything similar for the SF. Orange provide a facility to backup to their web-site but I want to avoid this as I may switch to another service provider.

(The following is pinched from another forum:)

"OLED Screens have Android build B05 whereas TFT Screens have build B08."

(So go into settings and look at the ROM and see which of the above two codes it ends in.)

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, so can't help you with the contacts backup issue.

(The following is pinched from another forum:)

"OLED Screens have Android build B05 whereas TFT Screens have build B08."

(So go into settings and look at the ROM and see which of the above two codes it ends in.)

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, so can't help you with the contacts backup issue.

Thank you

The information is in "Settings>About phone>Build number". Mine ends B08 so it is TFT

Thank you

The information is in "Settings>About phone>Build number". Mine ends B08 so it is TFT

I've now discovered that there is a facility to export the contacts list to the SD card (from "contacts" screen press Menu then Import/Export then Export to SD card

This creates a file on the SD card called "00001.vcf" and subsequent exports increment the file name by 1 each time

I can't do anything with this file but it can be copied to the PC and I assume it could be copied back to the SD card and "imported" at a later date if needed.

Guest cbrpaul
I've now discovered that there is a facility to export the contacts list to the SD card (from "contacts" screen press Menu then Import/Export then Export to SD card

This creates a file on the SD card called "00001.vcf" and subsequent exports increment the file name by 1 each time

I can't do anything with this file but it can be copied to the PC and I assume it could be copied back to the SD card and "imported" at a later date if needed.

I had a problem with my unlocked using bladevillian where the sf would not receive a large .cvf file via bluetooth frommy sony mobile , so ended up backing up to sd card in sony then transfering the file to the SF sd card and importing it into the sf from its sdcard, worked a treat !!

:-)