How to backup the system.img, boot.img and recovery.img?

Guest milkaschokolade

Guest veektor

root your phone temporarily with z4root

in ADB or a terminal emulator type

cat proc/mtd
it will give you smthing like this:
dev:	size   erasesize  name

mtd0: 00480000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd1: 00480000 00020000 "boot"

mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"

mtd3: 00060000 00020000 "misc"

mtd4: 02940000 00020000 "cache"

mtd5: 0cf80000 00020000 "system"

mtd6: 0d020000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd7: 00180000 00020000 "persist"
if that's the case then type:
su

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=4096

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd1 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd5 of=/sdcard/system.img bs=4096

and the .img files are on your SD card now

Edited by veektor

Guest Arr Too
if that's the case then type:

su

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=4096

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd1 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd5 of=/sdcard/system.img bs=4096

and the .img files are on your SD card now

I'm pretty sure we've been here before and that works OK for recovery and boot, but not system. The system partition uses the YAFFS filesystem and that stores stuff in the SPARE bytes of the NAND. A straight 'dd' won't include that critical data and so you'll have a broken img. You need to 'tar' the individual files (or maybe 'nanddump') to backup the system part.

Most people will find it easier to use Seb's romdump, if there isn't already a recovery image available. Otherwise, use ClockworkMod...

Guest Sebastian404
I'm pretty sure we've been here before and that works OK for recovery and boot, but not system. The system partition uses the YAFFS filesystem and that stores stuff in the SPARE bytes of the NAND. A straight 'dd' won't include that critical data and so you'll have a broken img. You need to 'tar' the individual files (or maybe 'nanddump') to backup the system part.

^^this is spot on.

Nandroid works by creating a new empty YAFF filesystem image and doing a CPIO from the system into it..

or to bang my own trumpet... use romdump

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

Guest veektor

Most people will find it easier to use Seb's romdump, if there isn't already a recovery image available. Otherwise, use ClockworkMod...

Thanks for the info. And thank God I made a backup with cwmod too. So if I have to send it back for warranty stuff all I have to do is restore from cwmod and flash the original recovery.