Move core apps to SD? or uninstalling them

Guest Tunestal

Guest Tunestal

Hi,

I have an Liquid E and have finally decided do root it. Downloaded MalezRecovery and everything worked perfectly, atleast it seemed like.

The status according to Malez is now rooted.

But I had hoped to be able to move some of the MB-eating core apps like Maps, Documents To Go and Adobe Flash Player to the SD. And also uninstall the Twitter and Facebook apps since I'm perfectly happy with the SocialJogger.

Have I misunderstood that I should be able to do this when device is rooted? Or do I have to do it some other way than Settings/Applications/Manage Applications?

Thx and sorry if this has been discussed before, couldn't find any topic though..

Edited by Tunestal

Guest Harness
Hi,

I have an Liquid E and have finally decided do root it. Downloaded MalezRecovery and everything worked perfectly, atleast it seemed like.

The status according to Malez is now rooted.

But I had hoped to be able to move some of the MB-eating core apps like Maps, Documents To Go and Adobe Flash Player to the SD. And also uninstall the Twitter and Facebook apps since I'm perfectly happy with the SocialJogger.

Have I misunderstood that I should be able to do this when device is rooted? Or do I have to do it some other way than Settings/Applications/Manage Applications?

Thx and sorry if this has been discussed before, couldn't find any topic though..

So far as I know you'll have to use adb shell, I don't know of any explorer apps that get root permissions to delete things.

Further; I wouldn't move all your core apps to SD, if anything ever goes wrong you'd be screwed, at least you can recover with your /system/app programs. If you wish to ignore me, or just wanna move the few, use ./adb shell, cd /system/app, mv applications.apk /system/sd/data/app. To move them all mv * /system/sd/data/app

Harness.

Guest HustlinDaily

Well now that you are rooted, go to the market and download "Busybox Installer" (might be titled Busybox) and use that to install Busybox.

Then go to the market and download an app called Titanium Backup. This app allows you to easily remove stock apps, back up all your apps to the SD Card. It does have a Move to SD function (which does it the FroYo way) but that is experimental (never used it myself).

As far as moving to SD. There are 2 ways to do it:

-The FroYo way which moves it somewhere on the regular FAT32 partition of your SD Card. This is standard on 2.2 and only works across some apps. If you flash the Cyanogenmod ROM, this way can easily work across all apps.

-The ext way (I prefer this way as I have found it to be alot faster and way more efficient). This works by moving all your apps to a large (usually 512MB) ext2 partition on your SD Card. You can partition the SD Card on MalezRecovery and move the apps (or davlik, data, all 3, 2 of 3, whatever) to this ext2 partition. This however only works on ROMs which support it such as LCR ( http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php ). Harness is working to implement this on the CDT Team's FroyoMetal ROM and his script probably will work on stock 4.002.14.EMEA firmware. You can check out his thread searching for testers here (or wait until it is out of beta)- http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...s/#entry1530184

Edited by HustlinDaily