Hi

I'd be very grateful for some help. My new N700 is my first Android device (well 2nd, if you count a cheap 1.6 slow tab I returned to Robert Dyas after 24 hours when I realised my mistake!)

However, try as I may, I can't root my tablet.

SuperOneClick just waits after starting rageagainstthecage, Z4root installs, runs then causes a reboot.

This prevents me from making a backup, and then flashing any of the custom roms....

This forum, and others seem to offer very useful advice, but not quite enough, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS - strangely, tried to post this from the browser on the Android device, but the "Post New Topic" link didn't display at the bottom of the page! So had to switch to PC and Chrome!

UPDATE: Further research and seem to have sorted using VISIONary - now running Titanium backup....

FURTHER UPDATE: All sorted and custom rom installed, thanks to VISIONary, ClockWorkMod, and ROM Manager...

Edited by jda180

Guest FatherD
Hi

I'd be very grateful for some help. My new N700 is my first Android device (well 2nd, if you count a cheap 1.6 slow tab I returned to Robert Dyas after 24 hours when I realised my mistake!)

SuperOneClick just waits after starting rageagainstthecage, Z4root installs, runs then causes a reboot.

This prevents me from making a backup, and then flashing any of the custom roms....

This forum, and others seem to offer very useful advice, but not quite enough, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS - strangely, tried to post this from the browser on the Android device, but the "Post New Topic" link didn't display at the bottom of the page! So had to switch to PC and Chrome!

This can be a little tricky SuperOneClick needs to be closed when it stalls at rage', re-started and click root again, if this doesn't work try un/replugging the tablet a few times, it does work in the end. After flashing Paul rooted custom Rom I did lose root again tho!! (yep .. true!) This was then sorted by using z4root and Quick Boot from the marketplace, that can get you into recovery very quickly to flash the Rom of your choice :( there is also a guide on here about custom recovery check it out it has some other useful information - best of luck ;)

EDIT: In the main Rom thread see this it and several posts around it should help!

Edited by FatherD

Hi

Thanks

Jonathan

UPDATE: Further research and seem to have sorted using VISIONary - now running Titanium backup....

let's try this "manual"

1. Download the file "SuperOneClickv" from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682. Extract the zip file out into a folder.

2. Replace the adb.exe from SuperOneClick with the adb.exe from the Mi700 CDROM (this is the virtual drive created when you connect your data cable to windows).

3. Run SuperOneClick > and then click "Root"... it will hang after completing a few tasks. Do not worry. Exit the program.

4. Run the same program again... Click "Root" again and this time, it will finish the process and it would show that the Mi700 is ROOTED.

5. Install the ADB drivers from the CD ROM Drive that is specifically created when you plug the Mi700 to your desktop. Either double click on the drive to enter setup or using Windows Explorer, click on "Setup.exe".

6. Open a command prompt from windows, go to your adb directory.

[For those who have used ADB on other Android devices and have installed AndroidSDK]

Usually, it will be c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools

[For those who are using ADB for the first time]

Open Command Prompt (Start > Run > Type "CMD", and press Enter). Then go to the directory where you extracted the zip file in step 1.

E.g. C:\Users\[your username]\Desktop\SuperOneClickv1.4-ShortFuse

7. Copy the file "su" (there is no file extension) from where you extracted SuperOneClick.zip and put it into your "c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools" folder (if you have AndroidSDK), if not, put it in the same folder as the SuperOneClick extracted file.

8. In your command prompt from step 6, type:

adb push su /system/bin

and the file will be copied to your device.

9. If you had no problems pushing (copying the file) then go straight to step 9. If you get "read-only file system" error. Type the following from the command prompt.

adb shell mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

10. Important last step... you need to change the permission of the file so that you do not lose the root. Type "Adb shell"

a # prompt will appear. Type the following:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

and you are done!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...071&page=10

Edited by oldspy

Thanks Oldspy

snip...

4. Run the same program again... Click "Root" again and this time, it will finish the process and it would show that the Mi700 is ROOTED.

Runs as you say, but never completes to say device is ROOOTED.

I get:

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing rageagainstthecage...

33 KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)

OK

chmod rageagainstthecage...

OK

Running rageagainstthecage...

5. Install the ADB drivers from the CD ROM Drive that is specifically created when you plug the Mi700 to your desktop. Either double click on the drive to enter setup or using Windows Explorer, click on "Setup.exe".

The drivers must be installed as I can use adb command and get valid response from "adb devices"

6. Open a command prompt from windows, go to your adb directory.

I have no AndroidSDK installed - and no installed on the "CD-ROM"

[For those who have used ADB on other Android devices and have installed AndroidSDK]

Usually, it will be c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools

[For those who are using ADB for the first time]

Open Command Prompt (Start > Run > Type "CMD", and press Enter). Then go to the directory where you extracted the zip file in step 1.

E.g. C:\Users\[your username]\Desktop\SuperOneClickv1.4-ShortFuse

7. Copy the file "su" (there is no file extension) from where you extracted SuperOneClick.zip and put it into your "c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools" folder (if you have AndroidSDK), if not, put it in the same folder as the SuperOneClick extracted file.

8. In your command prompt from step 6, type:

adb push su /system/bin

and the file will be copied to your device.

The push command doesn't complete

So don't get to run next steps.... (Also tried to flip the r/w switch - it also doesn't complete)

9. If you had no problems pushing (copying the file) then go straight to step 9. If you get "read-only file system" error. Type the following from the command prompt.

adb shell mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

10. Important last step... you need to change the permission of the file so that you do not lose the root. Type "Adb shell"

a # prompt will appear. Type the following:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

and you are done!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...071&page=10

• 2 months later...
Guest sonny_wong
Thanks Oldspy

Runs as you say, but never completes to say device is ROOOTED.

I get:

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing rageagainstthecage...

33 KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)

OK

chmod rageagainstthecage...

OK

Running rageagainstthecage...

The drivers must be installed as I can use adb command and get valid response from "adb devices"

I have no AndroidSDK installed - and no installed on the "CD-ROM"

The push command doesn't complete

So don't get to run next steps.... (Also tried to flip the r/w switch - it also doesn't complete)

i get same:

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...

38 KB/s (0 bytes in 585731.014s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...

still like this ,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kiddyzxz
i get same:

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...

38 KB/s (0 bytes in 585731.014s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...

still like this ,

Pull out your USB line then Plug in. Then run test then donate=no.

OK。。。。

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chicknlil

For what it's worth, I found the version of SuperOneClick was important - anything beyond 1.7 didn't work for me, since it didn't feature the "rageagainstthecage" exploit. If you're still having issues, trying using that version, and when it comes to the USB plug, only leave it out for a second, if that.