Best Apps

Guest bennji_boy

Guest bennji_boy

Hi all,

I'm new to this but will definitely be ordering a Vega as soon as they become available again, thanks to this forum.

I just wanted to ask everyone's opinions on the best apps(and why) to do the following:

- Music Player

- Video Player

- Book reader

- Newspaper reader

- Torrent client

- Internet Browser

- Watching TV

ps I'm so disappointed that I had a Vega in my Curry's trolley before Christmas but was undecided, now that I've decided there aren't any available :(

Edited by bennji_boy

Guest thedicemaster

music player: mortplayer, or one of the paid music players. stock or stock-based players may have problems with random jumps.

book reader: aldiko

for internet and video i just use stock, works good enough for me.

Guest trevor432990

Here is my selection:-

Browser = Dolphin HD

File Manager = Astro (+SMB & Bluetooth modules for wireless downloads from PC & Mobile)

Books = ezPDF Reader

Backups = Titanium Backup

Radio = Tunein Radio

Game = Angry Birds

Guest doliveras

- Music Player: Winamp, a great app that is also a shoutcast client, so you can find an immense repository of online radio stations.

- Video Player: I use the stock video player, if you want another option Rockplayer is very good to.

- Book reader: Aldiko for eBooks, ezPDF for PDF files.

- Internet Browser: The stock browser is very good, if you enable the Flash library is practically perfect.

- Games: ScummVM emulator is a must, with it you can play Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, etc… (I’m a man of classics)

- RSS: Newsrob, a great RSS reader which you can synchronize with Google Reader.

Guest warriorscot

Music Player- Poweramp its paid but it is the best player for Android at the moment as all the others either share the problems that the stock has or lack polish or have bugs. If I wasn't using poweramp I would use winamp but the few cool features weren't enough to make up for the better stuff in winamp that I use every time.

Books- Alkido or any of the pdf readers but I don't use it for books that often as I have a reader already.

Video Player - RockPlayer not perfect but better than the stock

Don't read newspapers in anything other than paper.

Browser - Dolphin HD is the best browser by miles and I have tried all the others. Firefox is fairly similar but mozilla always copy(steal) what works from other browsers so thats not too surprising but Dolphin is still better. Opera also works great and would be the better of the three but its not optimised for tablets yet.

I have a PC if I want to use torrents and can just use a web interface to use that rather than use the vega, same goes for usenet.

Watching TV? Depends on what you mean if you mean on demand online then browsers work, if you mean streaming from your PC then use Gmote or a TVersity server on your PC.

Guest androidant

Personally, I've been a little bit disappointed when trying to find apps that are specifically designed for tablets. I guess it's early days and more will appear as Android tablets take off

That said, I'm very happy with my Vega and Paul's excellent ROM :(

Only ones I've found so far are an unofficial BBC one which is ok, and there is a New York Times one created for the Galaxy Tab - however I've still not managed to track down the apk for that one (it's filtered in the Market so can't get from the Vega)

Guest androidant
NY Times tablet app installs fine for me from the market.

Thats interesting - I've just retried on my Vega and definitely can't see it. What version of the ROM are you using?

Thanks

Guest wipeout140
Thats interesting - I've just retried on my Vega and definitely can't see it. What version of the ROM are you using?

Thanks

I am running:

1.06.5 - Rom

MoDaCo Pack - r5 (update later)

And i just checked and its in the market just go to News & Magazines > Top Free and its second one, called "NYTimes for Android tablet"

Guest Sir Gash

My favourite music apps are:

Lithium Music Player

This works really well on the Vega, it has a very nice interface with animated UI and gesture support and is a must for me as (to my knowledge) it is the only Android music app that supports crossfading and gapless playback :(

It also looks nice on the Vega unlike other apps I have tried which don't look good on high res devices in landscape (such as Winamp):

post-797044-1293800282_thumb.png

XiiaLive - Online Radio

For Shoutcast radio I use XiiaLive. I would use Winamp but for some reason I get skips and crackles during playback but XiiaLive works perfectly.

Guest debs626
My favourite music apps are:

Lithium Music Player

This works really well on the Vega, it has a very nice interface with animated UI and gesture support and is a must for me as (to my knowledge) it is the only Android music app that supports crossfading and gapless playback B)

It also looks nice on the Vega unlike other apps I have tried which don't look good on high res devices in landscape (such as Winamp):

post-797044-1293800282_thumb.png

XiiaLive - Online Radio

For Shoutcast radio I use XiiaLive. I would use Winamp but for some reason I get skips and crackles during playback but XiiaLive works perfectly.

The Xiialive radio streamer streams ACC+ perfect on my Xperia X10 (android 2.1) but can't get it to stream ACC+ on my Vega

Have you got any tips or advice on how to get it working ?

TIA :unsure:

Guest Sir Gash
The Xiialive radio streamer streams ACC+ perfect on my Xperia X10 (android 2.1) but can't get it to stream ACC+ on my Vega

Have you got any tips or advice on how to get it working ?

TIA :unsure:

I just checked and I am unable to play AAC+ on the Vega (it works on my Desire though). I think it may be a Kernel/Framework issue so not much can be done until Advent release an update. BTW, I just noticed an updated post about this on the XiiaLive forum from a user called 'debs'. Any relation? B)

Guest debs626
I just checked and I am unable to play AAC+ on the Vega (it works on my Desire though). I think it may be a Kernel/Framework issue so not much can be done until Advent release an update. BTW, I just noticed an updated post about this on the XiiaLive forum from a user called 'debs'. Any relation? B)

Yep that's moi :unsure: Thanks for your reply, at least now I know its nothing to do with user error :angry:

Bloomin shame it won't stream AAC on the Vega because its one sexy looking app, works perfect on my Xperia tho. Wonder if I could get my fave radio station to change its broadcasting format "/ lol

Cherry rplayer and A online radio both stream AAC on my Vega so I'm confused as to what the problem is

Edit ^^^ after trying both above players, non will stream AAC anymore :o not sure if its after my last rom or advent update but the vega did definatly stream this format at some point :D ......... maybe I should make a seperate new post with this problem.

Edited by debs626

Guest Sir Gash
Yep that's moi :unsure: Thanks for your reply, at least now I know its nothing to do with user error B)

Bloomin shame it won't stream AAC on the Vega because its one sexy looking app, works perfect on my Xperia tho. Wonder if I could get my fave radio station to change its broadcasting format "/ lol

Cherry rplayer and A online radio both stream AAC on my Vega so I'm confused as to what the problem is

Edit ^^^ after trying both above players, non will stream AAC anymore :angry: not sure if its after my last rom or advent update but the vega did definatly stream this format at some point :o ......... maybe I should make a seperate new post with this problem.

Thankfully, most of my favourite streams are MP3 so I never really noticed. At least you can restrict search results to MPEG streams in the XiiaLive settings (obviously not the best solution).

If other players are not working it is probably ROM related.

- Music Player: PowerAmp (has built in EQ which can be very handy)

- Video Player: Rockplayer & Stock. Really need VLC for Android tho!

- Book reader: Aldiko (though it doesn't do a great job of displaying covers - might be a resizing issue as they are fine on my Blade)

- Internet Browser: Dolphin HD but only because of LastPass integration. Otherwise it would be Miren. And the fact that I'm slightly dubious about Chinese Internet software.

- Watching TV: Personally I just browse to iPlayer. But as I have all my media downloaded on a server, I use PlugPlayer which is UPNP client and sort of works.

I know this is a bit off topic but I also think there are several must-have apps:

Cache Cleaner NG

Astro + SMB Module

Button Savior (the absolute must have app!)

Titanium Backup

Guest Lennyuk

- Book reader: Aldiko (though it doesn't do a great job of displaying covers - might be a resizing issue as they are fine on my Blade)

- Internet Browser: Dolphin HD but only because of LastPass integration. Otherwise it would be Miren. And the fact that I'm slightly dubious about Chinese Internet software.

- Watching TV: Personally I just browse to iPlayer. But as I have all my media downloaded on a server, I use PlugPlayer which is UPNP client and sort of works.

I know this is a bit off topic but I also think there are several must-have apps:

Cache Cleaner NG

Astro + SMB Module

Titanium Backup

Everyone keeps saying this about Miren, but all it is is the browser used in MIUI roms packaged separately and then put in the market, there is no conspiracy just a very very good rom which has some very very good apps. So what its made by Chinese? those devs have shown they are by far some of the most talented devs android have seen (as shown by how much of their work CM now uses in his roms)

Everyone keeps saying this about Miren, but all it is is the browser used in MIUI roms packaged separately and then put in the market, there is no conspiracy just a very very good rom which has some very very good apps. So what its made by Chinese? those devs have shown they are by far some of the most talented devs android have seen (as shown by how much of their work CM now uses in his roms)

I have nothing against Chinese devs - or any devs for that matter! But the Chinese government doesn't have a great track record when it comes to the internet...

And despite my slight misgivings, Miren is my browser of choice on the Blade, so you can take my concerns with a pinch of salt!

(EDIT - the Blade of course, being a chinese phone!)

Edited by matf

Guest Lennyuk
I have nothing against Chinese devs - or any devs for that matter! But the Chinese government doesn't have a great track record when it comes to the internet...

And despite my slight misgivings, Miren is my browser of choice on the Blade, so you can take my concerns with a pinch of salt!

(EDIT - the Blade of course, being a chinese phone!)

lol yeah my rant wasn't really at your specifically, just the shear amount of times I read "can't trust it because its Chinese" was annoying me :unsure:

Guest bennji_boy

Cache Cleaner NG

Astro + SMB Module

Titanium Backup

For the last four apps, can you describe what they do and why they are must-have apps (for a beginner like me)

For the last four apps, can you describe what they do and why they are must-have apps (for a beginner like me)

Probably best to look at them on the market and make up your own mind but:

Cache cleaner frees up space in memory and sd card by deleting cache used by applications to store temporary data.

Button saviour adds a set of soft keys to your screen enabling you to quickly access home, back and task switching. Can be a godsend in full screen applications.

Astro is a better file manager and smb module allows you to easily browse network shares

Titanium backup erm, backs stuff up. You never regret having a backup.

Guest bennji_boy
Probably best to look at them on the market and make up your own mind but:

Cache cleaner frees up space in memory and sd card by deleting cache used by applications to store temporary data.

Button saviour adds a set of soft keys to your screen enabling you to quickly access home, back and task switching. Can be a godsend in full screen applications.

Astro is a better file manager and smb module allows you to easily browse network shares

Titanium backup erm, backs stuff up. You never regret having a backup.

haha, I guessed the last one :unsure:

Guest newbe5

I know there isn't a section in this for games, but...

Dungeon Defenders: First Wave... Oh my holy christ, looks, plays and runs amazing on the Vega, really shows off it's power and quality :unsure: