Remove Clockwork mod AS IT IS DANGEROUS !

Guest wilx01

Can we safely remove the clockwork mod until there is a safe version available? I have ahd the BSOD a few times, and am getting bored of having to flash my image back each time, I dare not even go to the R6 mod from the amount of people having problems

I have tried extracting the softwareImage_v1.06_05_Vega_Final to a folder and replacing the recovery.img from the clockwork recovery with the original from the 1.06_05 image. I then flashed as with the clockwork recovery ie

adb push recovery.img /data/local/

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

Hoping this would put back the original recovery to stop the BSOD ( after restoring my nandroid backup), but unfortunately, I have a BSOD again.

Anyone know how we can remove the clockwork mod, so we can restore our nandroid backups, and then remove the risk of BSOD, as I don't want it to screw up when I am away from my PC....and I am getting really bored!

Sorry about the title , but I also think we need to warn people who are downloading the mods, and only reading the first post on either the clockwork mod or R6 Mod threads , that there are problems. I have managed to recover so far so good, but there are people with less knowledge or others just having complete problems with the clockwork mod and bricking their unit.

Another hint to anyone not manage to get into flash mode ( ie back button ... power etc etc), try rebooting your PC if you cant get into the download mode, as I think the wrong driver may still be in memory from debug mode or something. Has worked every time for me

Guest battletank
I've not tried Clockwork myself yet but from the growing number of reports I am very nervous to use it as well :(

Can someone summarise the problems experienced? I personally followed the instructions and had no issues.

Even if it fails, surely it isn't a big issue to go back to stock? If this is the case, why exactly is it 'DANGEROUS'?

Guest warriorscot

Just stop using it, it does say clearly its in testing and not necessary. It will only be necessary when it has been established it works properly e.g. not in testing any more.

Some people want nandroid backup and that is nice but not really something you can't live without. The built in backup tool in android works well enough for most things anyway. And most other things can be achieved without it.

The r6 is ok, some people have had problems but some people have problems with all the releases. From reading most people seem to have it fixed by either reinstalling the r6 or putting the stock firmware back on with nvflash and then reinstalling.

I have tried extracting the softwareImage_v1.06_05_Vega_Final to a folder and replacing the recovery.img from the clockwork recovery with the original from the 1.06_05 image. I then flashed as with the clockwork recovery ie

adb push recovery.img /data/local/

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

Hoping this would put back the original recovery to stop the BSOD ( after restoring my nandroid backup), but unfortunately, I have a BSOD again.

That wouldn't work, The procedure to restore your nandroid is as follows.

Follow the guide for reflashing the latest firmware on the advent website.

Once reflashed and rebooted install the latest MCR Mod (currently R6)(you could skip this but I do it anyways as it now installs the recovery app.

Once rebooted install clockworkmod as per guide.

Reboot into clockworkmod via the recovery app

Restore backup.

I think it is unfair to label things as Dangerous - Clockworkmod isn't dangerous, I and many others have had no issues with it whatsoever. Others are saying they have - but we don't really know what people have been doing when installing etc - This just puts less experienced people off from even trying it - at the end of the day there isn't really anything you can do to brick this device, as you can always start a fresh after reflashing the official firmware

clockwork is not dangerous as it does NOT replace the NVFLASH, it merly sits between the NV and OS, so it will not brick your vega, the NV flash is stored on the motherboard, I have flashed Clockwork many times, and only once did i get an error, it is easily fixed by going in to NV flash mode and flashing the original stock image.

REPEAT!!!

THS IS NOT DANGEROUS AND WILL NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!

the only way to brick your device is if you try to replace the NVFLASH harcoded to the motherboard chip..

I personally haven't had a single 'bsod' and I've used CWM on my Vega a LOT... not to mention i've got the device into some REALLY nasty states and ALWAYS been able to nvflash repair it. I mean REALLY nasty states. :(

P

It depends how you define dangerous. Unless you have a very recent backup, you will lose data. To me, that's dangerous. It's not JUST about bricking the device.

I guess I'm going to have to flash it and try and reproduce the issue... The Vega could do with a good cleanout of all these apps I've been installing!

Edited by arad85

I am not against using clockwork at all it's just that I do not understand it. I have tried to get my head round it including what everyone has been saying in the clockwork but all I get is an headache lol.

Personally what I think this needs when r7 comes along is a simple video tutorial on exactly how step by step the clockwork mod is installed and how the r7 is flashed. That way hopefully there should be a lot less black screen of death and more happy campers.

Guest simonta

Feedback about cwm - and I'm not a noob - works fine except, and I've done this twice to confirm, something freezes during the boot load sequence. By working fine, I mean all the cwm functions work. The freeze happens between "Booting.." appearing on screen and the boot logo. Nothing to do with the way I flashed it. First time was on a clean stock build, second time was a fully pimped beast. Sometimes it boots fine, but then one day, BSOD and reflash is the only way out.

Just saying..glad to know that Paul is talking to Khoush about it...

r8zer. Did you get anywhere with cyanogen? Desperate to get one or the other running reliably.

That wouldn't work, The procedure to restore your nandroid is as follows.

Follow the guide for reflashing the latest firmware on the advent website.

Once reflashed and rebooted install the latest MCR Mod (currently R6)(you could skip this but I do it anyways as it now installs the recovery app.

Once rebooted install clockworkmod as per guide.

Reboot into clockworkmod via the recovery app

Restore backup.

I think it is unfair to label things as Dangerous - Clockworkmod isn't dangerous, I and many others have had no issues with it whatsoever. Others are saying they have - but we don't really know what people have been doing when installing etc - This just puts less experienced people off from even trying it - at the end of the day there isn't really anything you can do to brick this device, as you can always start a fresh after reflashing the official firmware

I am not trying to install my nandroid backup.... I have already done that. I am trying to remove the clockwork mod so that I don't get the BSOD. I have had the BSOD twice now, and had to restore my nandroid backup to get back where I was . I want to remove the clockwork mod, because if it does it again when I am on a weekend away or on holiday, I will be stuck with a brick until I get back to my PC. The reason I labelled the thread as dangerous, was partly to get some lively discussion going, and to also bring it to peoples attention that it can brick your device ( even tho it will only be until you get back to your PC) but as a lot of people have got the device to take away on holiday etc, I know I would be annoyed if I went on holiday for 2 weeks and had the BSOD on the 2nd day making the Vega useless till I got home.

I have since discovered since starting this thread, that the nandroid backup I have created is OK if I set the unit to reboot in the recovery options after restoring my image. If I actually turn the unit off and back on however, I am back to the BSOD, so in fact , the method I outlined above may be OK for removing the clock work mod, only in my case, after restoring the original recovery.img, I can't turn the unit off as my nandriod backup seems to have backed up the BSOD problem.

I have now completely reinstalled everything and now added r6 ( as my nandroid image was shagged), and left off the clockwork mod, as I don't to be in the situation of having a brick until I get back to my PC. For those who have a good nandroid backup presently, you may be able to remove the clockwork mod as in the 1st post, but I can not vouch that it will work. Can anyone in the know, say if the method in the 1st post should work for them that want to remove it without re installing everything?

Guest simonta

T4yor. Once you've used clockword (or similar e.g. cyanogen) there's no going back. Instead of a black screen and messing with USB drivers, the recovery is self contained - you do not have to rely on a PC connection to be able to flash/restore.

Use it on my Desire and keep a copy of the latest custom ROM and radio I'm using and stock ROMS and radio on the sdcard. That way, I can never get into trouble - even sitting on the train without my laptop. Power on plus volume down and up pops that comforting menu with "Flash from sdcard".

For me, that is the major advantage of clockwork. All the other stuff can be done in other ways but that self sufficient flashing is a god send.

If you haven't seen it, it also lets you do full backups and restore, partition your SD card, wipe Androids various caches and a bunch of other useful stuff.

Cheers

T4yor. Once you've used clockword (or similar e.g. cyanogen) there's no going back. Instead of a black screen and messing with USB drivers, the recovery is self contained - you do not have to rely on a PC connection to be able to flash/restore.

Use it on my Desire and keep a copy of the latest custom ROM and radio I'm using and stock ROMS and radio on the sdcard. That way, I can never get into trouble - even sitting on the train without my laptop. Power on plus volume down and up pops that comforting menu with "Flash from sdcard".

For me, that is the major advantage of clockwork. All the other stuff can be done in other ways but that self sufficient flashing is a god send.

If you haven't seen it, it also lets you do full backups and restore, partition your SD card, wipe Androids various caches and a bunch of other useful stuff.

Cheers

I think we all know this, the clockwork recovery is great on most android devices, just on the Vega, it has a problem at the moment. This means it is not worth the hassle at the moment. I am sure it will be fixed at some point soon, and then it will be brilliant as it is for other devices too.

wilx01, check out my post in Sir Gash's thread:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...tility-nvflash/

As I said in my reply, I didn't test with cwm installed (nor am I inclined to do so) but this method should work fine. Probably want to wait for Sir Gash to report back though...

Hi, thanks, not sure where your link was meant to take me, it just takes me to the modoco news page. I assume you were trying to send me elsewhere? Try it yourself, does the link work for you?

I tried to recreate this black screen problem after doing a nandroid restore and managed to recreate it. I have found that if I don't do a data/cache wipe before restoring the nandroid the device won't boot after first shutdown/power on after the restore, I always wipe everything before restoring a nandroid as a matter of habit, which is possibly why I never had the problem. I have tried this both ways twice and got the same results.

So my process is:

flash generic firmware

After first boot install clockworkrecovery as per guide and then vega vegarecovery.apk (I simply do it by "adb push vegarecovery.apk /data/app" at the same time as pushing the other recovery files)

reboot

once rebooted using vegarecovery app boot into recovery mode. Perform a "wipe data" and "wipe cache" in the recovery, then restore your backup.

do a full shutdown and then power on and hopefully it will boot.

Give it a try and see how you go if you've been having this problem.

Guest Anton2k
As I say, before I issue r7 and decide whether to move to CWM only i'll be doing a lot more testing! :(

P

Yea!!!! lol please look into better flash support/ mods for r7 plz paul cheers anton...

Is there something wrong with the built in android backup, works pretty well for me it isn't perfect but it gets the job done.

depends what you want. backing up via clockworkmod (nandroid) creates an exact system image from the time you took the backup. So it means all you've got to do is restore your backup and thats it all apps/settings exactly as they were previously. I've used cyanogen/amon-ra and currently use clockworkmod on both my Defy and Vega - they all pretty much do the same thing.

Ideally what would be best is a proper recovery, where you permanently flash the new recovery in replace of the old one, but don't think that is possible with the way the vega is set up, so we are forced to use a bootstrap recovery, meaning this basically hijacks the boot process and instead of booting the system normally it boots into the recovery. The only problem is if you have a problem and can't get it to boot, you have to reflash the official firmware, reapply the recovery and then boot into the recovery and restore your backup - however once you've done this a few times its only like a 15 minute operation.

Nuts! Sorry, try this one

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...tility-nvflash/

Simply copy system.img from your sdcard nadroid backup and replace the one in the Vega flash. Then run lvds.bat. Your sdcard is not touched by the flash, system is restored and the boot and recovery partitions are restored to stock.

Not quite sure what you mean by it, surely the one in the nandroid backup contains the clockwork mod.... I am trying to remove it? Where do I get the lvds.bat from?

Cheers