FM Radio for ZTE Blade/SF

Guest andorko

I cannot reproduce this bug. I can tune from 87.5 to 108.0 with europe regional band

The bug is shown, if version 0.5 was installed over version 0.4. Has deleted the program and install version 0.5 over again - bug has disappeared. :unsure:

Guest samjam
Well done, great having the radio back on Froyo. Looks really cool too.

I can't seem to get it to output through bluetooth though can somebody confirm whether it is working or not. I'm on Paul's Alpha 5 2.2 OS.

Thanks

My guess is that it won't easily. It's probably analogue-routed to the headphone socket. To get to bluetooth it would have to be routed to the mic socket or some other digitizable input, captured and then sent over bluetooth. It involves a lot more code, if the analogue routing is possible.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.

samjam said:
My guess is that it won't easily. It's probably analogue-routed to the headphone socket. To get to bluetooth it would have to be routed to the mic socket or some other digitizable input, captured and then sent over bluetooth. It involves a lot more code, if the analogue routing is possible.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Edited by Guest

Guest reallordx
Well done, great having the radio back on Froyo. Looks really cool too.

I can't seem to get it to output through bluetooth though can somebody confirm whether it is working or not. I'm on Paul's Alpha 5 2.2 OS.

Thanks

I don't know if it actually worked at some point, as i don't have a bluetooth headset. But v0.5 simply doesn't support bluetooth anymore. If u have a look at post #27 (page 2) of this thread u'll see that the older versions had a lot more permissions including "create bluetooth connection".

At lot of permissions got removed in v0.4. U might try an older version and see if that works.

And if so ask andorko to put the necessary permission back in the next version.

@andorko

plz add media volume control through hardware buttons :unsure:

Guest isambard

can i request and update to 0.2 to allow adding and deleting of saved stations? thanks. :D

edit: if you're happy to share the source for the 0.2 version, i can look to adding this myself. thanks.

Edited by isambard

Guest swordtail
can i request and update to 0.2 to allow adding and deleting of saved stations? thanks. :P

edit: if you're happy to share the source for the 0.2 version, i can look to adding this myself. thanks.

It's on 0.5 now and already does what you are asking! Just hold on the saved station and then it gives you the option to delete. :D

Guest isambard
It's on 0.5 now and already does what you are asking! Just hold on the saved station and then it gives you the option to delete. :D

0.5 works on android 2.1?

Guest That-Guy

This will probably be me being think but what does the speaker button do? Nothing happens for me when pressed?

Edited by That-Guy

Guest swordtail
This will probably be me being think but what does the speaker button do? Nothing happens for me when pressed?

I think that is going to be for the inbuilt speaker function, it is still a work in progress and it is all mentioned in this thread somewhere.

Guest andorko
Grab TuneIn Radio from the market if you want to listen to radio without earphones, it plays through the speaker.

Yes, but it is an internet radio and not an fm radio

Guest lordofangels
surprise: the fm chip in the san francisco is definitely RDS capable.

I knew it was, when i asked about this ages ago.

Thought I'd cracked as I couldd'nt remember where i'd read it.

Thanks andorko

surprise: the fm chip in the san francisco is definitely RDS capable.

And is it fitted into the phone in a way that makes the RDS capability accessible? Are we to expect a new RDS-radio update from you?

Guest andorko
Isn't the FM chip an si4708, and not the (RDS) si4709?

As i said earlier "There is an si4708 FM driver in the the android. If ZTE guys are not too tricky then there is an si4708 FM chip in the blade, which is not RDS capable.", but ZTE guys were tricky and they hide an si4709 chip behind an si4708 driver. So make an RDS radio is possible but its a lot of work and time to do it.

Edited by andorko

Guest oh!dougal
As i said earlier "There is an si4708 FM driver in the the android. If ZTE guys are not too tricky then there is an si4708 FM chip in the blade, which is not RDS capable.", but ZTE guys were tricky and they hide an si4709 chip behind an si4708 driver. So make an RDS radio is possible but its a lot of work and time to do it.

That's lucky!

Is there some suggested software that we should be running to see whether all or just some of the Blades have the '09 chip?

Guest andorko
That's lucky!

Is there some suggested software that we should be running to see whether all or just some of the Blades have the '09 chip?

i modified the driver and compiled the kernel to turn rds on and then i saw the RDS registers of the fm chip in the log file. So i don't think there is a program to see this.

Guest oh!dougal
i modified the driver and compiled the kernel to turn rds on and then i saw the RDS registers of the fm chip in the log file. So i don't think there is a program to see this.

Before trying to make anything too pretty, I think it would be a good idea to make (and circulate) a little test app (type in a the frequency of a known local RDS station?) to display some RDS data, and prove that the 09 is widespread to universal.

I do take on board that you are tweaking things at kernel level, but it would be good to know (early) whether or not 09s were found in the different geographical markets, with the 5mp camera, only with TFT screens or whatever ...

Its no great shakes to ask people to do a nandroid, test something exciting, and restore their previous environment ...