Is it possible to use MP3 notification tones?

Guest ube_astard

Guest ube_astard

Acers questions and answers indicate it is possible to used customized ringtones but doesnt tell you how. I have been able to use MP3 files for ringtones but not notification ie SMS meggages. Does anyone know if its possible?

Guest Dinmamma
Acers questions and answers indicate it is possible to used customized ringtones but doesnt tell you how. I have been able to use MP3 files for ringtones but not notification ie SMS meggages. Does anyone know if its possible?

[Apple]

There's an app for that :(

[/Apple]

I know there is one, I've used it before, just search the market with some keywords.

Guest Koki1337

You can do it on a desktop

Just create a folder at the root of SD card and name it "Notifications" for notification ringtones and "Ringtones" for caller ringtones.

Then just copy your mp3s in to the folders :(

Guest Delnar_Ersike

Just create a folder at the root of SD card and name it "Notifications" for notification ringtones and "Ringtones" for caller ringtones.

Then just copy your mp3s in to the folders :unsure:

This method will probably suit you fine in most cases; however, if you want your custom notifications and/or ringtones work even when the SD card is unmounted, you'll have to somehow get it on to your phone's internal storage. The "easiest" method is to create an update.zip with your notifications and/or ringtones and flash it to your device via a custom recovery like malez recovery.

If you don't know how to create an update.zip file, here's a template I created: http://www.multiupload.com/68RRRBB78O

Inside the template zip, you'll find a folder called "system", inside that you'll find a folder called "media", and inside that you'll find a folder called "audio". Inside the "audio" folder, you'll find three folders: "alarms", "notifications", and "ringtones". Any ringtones you want should be placed into the ringtones folder, any notifications into the notifications folder, and any alarms into the alarms folder. After that, copy the updated, customized zip to your SD card, boot into your custom recovery, and flash the mentioned zip (flash unsigned). Reboot, and if your file(s) are in a format recognized by your device, they'll appear in the notifications/ringtones/alarms list when you wish select your notification sound/ringtone/alarm.

AFAIK, .ogg and .wav files are supported; I've heard that .mp3 files work as well, though I haven't tried using an mp3 ringtone/notification myself.

Guest Harness
This method will probably suit you fine in most cases; however, if you want your custom notifications and/or ringtones work even when the SD card is unmounted, you'll have to somehow get it on to your phone's internal storage. The "easiest" method is to create an update.zip with your notifications and/or ringtones and flash it to your device via a custom recovery like malez recovery.

If you don't know how to create an update.zip file, here's a template I created: http://www.multiupload.com/68RRRBB78O

Inside the template zip, you'll find a folder called "system", inside that you'll find a folder called "media", and inside that you'll find a folder called "audio". Inside the "audio" folder, you'll find three folders: "alarms", "notifications", and "ringtones". Any ringtones you want should be placed into the ringtones folder, any notifications into the notifications folder, and any alarms into the alarms folder. After that, copy the updated, customized zip to your SD card, boot into your custom recovery, and flash the mentioned zip (flash unsigned). Reboot, and if your file(s) are in a format recognized by your device, they'll appear in the notifications/ringtones/alarms list when you wish select your notification sound/ringtone/alarm.

AFAIK, .ogg and .wav files are supported; I've heard that .mp3 files work as well, though I haven't tried using an mp3 ringtone/notification myself.

mp3 works fine.

adb push file.mp3/ogg/wav /system/media/audio/notifications or alarms or ringtones = easier than creating an update script imo.

Harness.

Guest split2th

I would probably just use root explorer. Seems like it would be the easiest way to copy paste files into system/media. Also try ringdroid to cut your mp3's.

Guest Delnar_Ersike
mp3 works fine.

adb push file.mp3/ogg/wav /system/media/audio/notifications or alarms or ringtones = easier than creating an update script imo.

Harness.

I would probably just use root explorer. Seems like it would be the easiest way to copy paste files into system/media. Also try ringdroid to cut your mp3's.

Both of these methods are easier than creating an update.zip file; however, both only work if the boot.img of the ROM supports remount. And AFAIK, stock ROMs do not allow adb remount. The update.zip method works whether or not adb remount is allowed.

Guest peterx666

Then just copy your mp3s in to the folders B)

Does not seem to work on the Original Acer Liquid with firmware 1.6

Pete

:unsure:

Guest split2th
Both of these methods are easier than creating an update.zip file; however, both only work if the boot.img of the ROM supports remount. And AFAIK, stock ROMs do not allow adb remount. The update.zip method works whether or not adb remount is allowed.

Good call. You do have to be rooted to use my method. I sometimes assume everyone here is rooted.

Guest Koki1337
Does not seem to work on the Original Acer Liquid with firmware 1.6

Pete

:unsure:

Then update it B) I tested this on original 2.1 btw.

Why are you still on 1.6?

Guest Delnar_Ersike
Good call. You do have to be rooted to use my method. I sometimes assume everyone here is rooted.

Remount is independent of having root. For example, for a long time, I used a rooted version of the stock leaked FroYo ROM, and I couldn't use adb remount. AFAIK, it has to be enabled in the ramdisk of the ROM's boot.img, so rooting your device does not allow it to be used in adb remount.

just use ringdroid. you can cut up your mp3s (or use the whole mp3) and set them not just as ringtone, but as notification tune and alarm tune as well. Simple.

Guest vanisleguy1976

Assuming you don't plan to remove your sd card, just open music, long-press on the mp3 you want to use, them it will pop up with a menu, and one of the options is set as ring tone.

Guest fear_factory84

if you install handcent sms, it will add a new category in the notification and ringtone dialog, and you can choose any file on the phone..