[ROM][Froyo] Volcano mod 0.3 [2011-01-04] [OLED+TFT]

Guest isambard

Guest isambard
Multiupload mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/AAMWK6YJUO

Multiupload is awesome and will grab a file from your own server and mirror it on several download sites. Try it :unsure:

thanks! for the tip.

by request, i have a beta version which added the phone.apk and settings.apk to enable wifi/usb tethering. if anyone wants to help test, you can grab it here:

http://www.multiupload.com/0NEQWPPNMQ

changes in 0.3b

- BETA version for testing only

- use phone.apk with usim and nag remover fixes

- use settings.apk and settings.provider.apk for tethering

- make links to busybox for nicer adb shell sessings (interesting for developers only)

Guest Simon O

This is one of the most exciting developments for the blade so far. But I'm going to wait for more people to confirm this works before I look at re-partitioning my phone :unsure:

Guest isambard
This is one of the most exciting developments for the blade so far. But I'm going to wait for more people to confirm this works before I look at re-partitioning my phone :unsure:

i hope you jump in soon! i think this method is very safe and easy - and it would be good to have someone with more experience working on it!

i tried to get tethering to work. it seems that usb tethering works ok (not tested extensively) but wifi tethering isn't quite working yet...

Guest isambard

if you installed this rom successfully, could you please post a message on here. i think between the new method and all the scary messages, people are being frightened away from trying it! :unsure:

Guest isambard

if you installed this rom successfully, could you please post a message on here. i think between the new method and all the scary messages, people are being frightened away from trying it! :unsure:

Guest donkey523

isambard

Ive just used it on my uk oled sf and everything has gone ok

Thanks

Guest Gryphonic

Triple Post!?

I think the issue is more that if it does go wrong, there needs to be a way to reverse it that definitely works, for all variants of the Blade. No matter how many success stories there are, theres always the chance.

Is it possible (its probably obvious i'm a noob at this) for people with stock phones to take a TPT image (right term?) of their phones, and have one of these for as many variants of the device as possible in the first post of the thread, so it would be easy for people to revert.

Alternatively a guide for taking an image of your phone as a backup, before flashing the new rom would be great. (sorry if i'm stating the bloody obvious here - tell me to shut up if i am :unsure:)

I assure you i'm not normally against taking a risk, i just like to know how to recover if it goes wrong, and in this case, i wouldn't know how. As it's such an easy process, this will tempt first-timers even more than the rest of us, and those are the people who will have the most difficulty if it goes wrong.

Guest jt_mcg
i hope you jump in soon! i think this method is very safe and easy - and it would be good to have someone with more experience working on it!

i tried to get tethering to work. it seems that usb tethering works ok (not tested extensively) but wifi tethering isn't quite working yet...

Wi Fi Tethering info,

I haven't been able to take the time and open with apktool but here's the info from KK:

IMPORTANT! The themes likely needs to be updated to support RLS3 or they will disable Wifi hotspot and usb tethering through wifi. Usb tethering over through mobile data should still work though.Frankish! The file that is chaned in framework-res.apk is res/values/arrays.xml. You can propably just get the whole resources.rsc from my framework-res.apk and put it into your framework-res.apk files. Just remeber to NOT use compression on the resources.rsc. Use WinRAR and choose "Store" when you add it.

and also this from KK:

Do you use apktool?

If you are, then to this:

- Unpack both framework-res.apk into the same folder, rename "mine" to framework-res-jj.apk

- Disassemble both frameworks:

apktool d framework-res.apk

apktool d framework-res-jj.apk

- Copy framework-res-jj\res\values\arrays.xml to framework-res\res\values\arrays.xml

- Recompile "your" framework-res:

apktool b framework-res

- Open your original framework-res.apk with WinRAR.

- Copy framework-res\build\apk\resources.rsc to your original framework-res.apk, choose "Store" and verify that size and compressed size is the same when you are done.

- Done. No need to resign anything.

I took a chance and flashed the JJ RLS3 theme from Frankish and the theme alone enabled WiFi hotspot on Seb's ROM without replacing phone/settings or anythingelse.apk!.

edit: I'd ask Frankish if making the changes as described worked for the themes or if he infact used a slightly different method

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest jt_mcg
Triple Post!?

I think the issue is more that if it does go wrong, there needs to be a way to reverse it that definitely works, for all variants of the Blade. No matter how many success stories there are, theres always the chance.

Is it possible (its probably obvious i'm a noob at this) for people with stock phones to take a TPT image (right term?) of their phones, and have one of these for as many variants of the device as possible in the first post of the thread, so it would be easy for people to revert.

Alternatively a guide for taking an image of your phone as a backup, before flashing the new rom would be great. (sorry if i'm stating the bloody obvious here - tell me to shut up if i am B))

I assure you i'm not normally against taking a risk, i just like to know how to recover if it goes wrong, and in this case, i wouldn't know how. As it's such an easy process, this will tempt first-timers even more than the rest of us, and those are the people who will have the most difficulty if it goes wrong.

It could be possible, as long as the phone has the three key update/install method from sd /image that it could be packaged for a tpt to stock for any blade variant and firmware.

Does anybody know what this button combination does when there's no /image :unsure:

Guest jt_mcg
i just like to know how to recover if it goes wrong, and in this case, i wouldn't know how.

I tried the Hungarian fix on my OLED 512MB OUK SF the other day to test the WiFi fix, I ended up with a stock hungarian firmware, flashed clockwork and recovered my nandroid in 10mins.

Really, as long as someones not concerned about there phone being in Hungarian for a couple of minutes there's really nothing it seems that could be unrecoverable from from trying to install this way.

edit *check that the hungarian update has been successful on your variant of the zte blade.*

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest Arr Too
Really, as long as someones not concerned about there phone being in Hungarian for a couple of minutes there's really nothing it seems that could be unrecoverable from from trying to install this way.

You say that with a good deal of confidence... which I would say is misplaced, given that we know there is a Blade variant out there that we can't use the kernel from on our UK models.

Guest jt_mcg
You say that with a good deal of confidence... which I would say is misplaced, given that we know there is a Blade variant out there that we can't use the kernel from on our UK models.

You're correct and I apologise, I'll edit to reflect that.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I tried the Hungarian fix on my OLED 512MB OUK SF the other day to test the WiFi fix, I ended up with a stock hungarian firmware, flashed clockwork and recovered my nandroid in 10mins.

edit *check that the hungarian update has been successful on your variant of the zte blade.*

Just saw the edit.

Yes you see the problem is that if they try it on a V880 OR if the download is corrupt it is unlikely, but the corruption COULD just be in exactly the wrong place and effect the low level recovery mechanism.

That's all. Until we have some damaged hardware to do the ALPHA test on - we are in new territory.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Don't you mean from our Hungarian models :unsure:

You just don't know how different the UK ones is to this update.zip we have acquired.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest donkey523

After installing volcano 0.2 I couldn't play mp3, so i used clockwork mod to install sebs eclair r7.

all went well and after installing a couple of apps quck system info reports that i have 237mb free in user data

Guest StevenHarperUK
After installing volcano 0.2 I couldn't play mp3, so i used clockwork mod to install sebs eclair r7.

all went well and after installing a couple of apps quck system info reports that i have 237mb free in user data

So Sebs 2.1 ROM fits in there :unsure:

What device / country do you have?

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
I gave in and I used the update on my OLED Orange UK phone. It worked :unsure:

Does your ROM fit in there too flibble?

I may a column to the table in my main thread.

Guest Simon O
Does your ROM fit in there too flibble?

I may a column to the table in my main thread.

Nope, my ROM is too big for the resized partitions.

One problem now.. I resized my rom to fit the smaller system partition but it won't boot... phone is stuck on the green android :unsure:

The volcano rom booted fine.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Nope, my ROM is too big for the resized partitions.

One problem now.. I resized my rom to fit the smaller system partition but it won't boot... phone is stuck on the green android :unsure:

The volcano rom booted fine.

Hmm interesting - do you need me to try it on a non-altered phone?

Ill have to do a quick nandroid - but I can if your stuck.

Guest Simon O
Hmm interesting - do you need me to try it on a non-altered phone?

Ill have to do a quick nandroid - but I can if your stuck.

All I did was remove some of the extra apps I added to my rom. really puzzling.

Guest isambard

there are some fixes for codecs, but frankly, it's just as well to use volcano only for repartitioning and put your choice of rom on afterwards (assuming it fits ok). i'm sure the more experienced guys can come up with a better ROM image than me.

Edited by isambard