Engadget on Honeycomb

Guest terminaljunkie

Guest Graham Macleod

Looking at that video, maybe they need the extra screen depth for that fugly black bar at the bottom with the soft key icons (back, home and menu - and not a whole lot else). The brief shot of the keyboard doesn't inspire much confidence, it's huge, with no provision for number entry without a shift - looks like Froyo not Gingerbread. I wonder if the development teams are talking to each other. It does have the Gingerbread text selection system though (which I can't figure out).

Froyo was such a big deal over previous versions, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with gingerbread and now this honeycomb preview. Hopefully there'll be more good stuff to change my mind.

Guest phil-t
Dan Morill tweeted confirming that there are no minimum requirement for Honeycomb.

http://www.androidcentral.com/morrill-no-m...ments-honeycomb

That isn't quite as clear as it sounds, he specifically mentions the processor requirements, it's the display resolution that is of more concern to us. :unsure:

I'd be surprised if they did lock out what is a pretty healthy res on a 10" tablet of 1024x600, as the newer tablet style G-Mail for example sounds really good...

Guest rferrett

Got to say though that much as though the Advent Vega people have been pretty good with us and that I for one shall be astonished, really astonished if we get an official Honeycomb update from Advent.

Hopefully they can release into the wild the stuff that will allow the wiser heads in the Android mod community to make us one..

<fingerscrossed>

Ralph

Guest iceman_

That only would only indicate requirements for a "usable" experience not to be able to run it on a device.

I think those specs are not to be taken seriously by any smart user.

Here you have an http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUGNCIozp0. You can see that most improvements are new google services, a new keyboard and a new gui.

I don't see any problem running those apps with the current kernel.

Cheers

Edited by iceman_

I just hope if we do get honeycomb it will be a lot more of a smoother ui experience because sometimes there is lag on this thing and it sometimes misses my gestures... but isn't that just to do with the fact it doesn't have a "proper" os installed that is meant for tablets...like honeycomb is... anyone think this is the case?

P's I mean lag like the lag you get when scrolling down lists or even when your on Google market scrolling down the application list and it lags like hell... that would be fixed with honeycomb right?

Edited by kfou