streak screen becomes unresponsive

Guest stevenrm1

Guest stevenrm1

Occasionally my screen becomes unresponsive to touch after be locked in my pocket. If I am patient and wait it will become responsive again but when I pull my phone out to use it I don't want to wait for the screen to start responding again so I can unlock it. Usually the upper right hand corner never goes unresponsive just the rest of it. Is anyone else experiencing this or is this just an issue I am having? I am currently usuing 1.5.2. Is there any fix for this?

Guest Vantage1
Occasionally my screen becomes unresponsive to touch after be locked in my pocket. If I am patient and wait it will become responsive again but when I pull my phone out to use it I don't want to wait for the screen to start responding again so I can unlock it. Usually the upper right hand corner never goes unresponsive just the rest of it. Is anyone else experiencing this or is this just an issue I am having? I am currently usuing 1.5.2. Is there any fix for this?

I have some similar issues, with the bottom right becoming unresponsive (right over the unlock swipe-button). Have yet to find a cure other than giving it a minute to sort itself out :/

Guest SAman1
I have some similar issues, with the bottom right becoming unresponsive (right over the unlock swipe-button). Have yet to find a cure other than giving it a minute to sort itself out :/

Same issue here (I'm on 151 no bb), but it happens randomly for about 3 or 4 mins before it recovers. I also get random reboots every 3 or so days. Was hoping 152 resolves these issues.

Guest superutp

I was facing the same problems on 1.5.2....after unlocking it used to become unresponsive for around 5-10 secs and then the launcher fc'ed....

after reflashing like 5 times to figure out the prob I finally realised that it was my setcpu which was causing this....i tried using the 2.1 version as well as 2.04 and 2.02, but each of them have a prob....

so the solution was finally uninstalling setcpu and now its perfect (atleast for the last few hrs..:unsure:)...

Guest BETTEROFTWOEVlLS

I've read that it has more to do with actually being in your pocket than anything else. I've had the issue with my Streak since day one on the stock 1.6. Best guesses I've read have been that either the heat from being in your pocket is affecting it, or that it may actually be creating some kind of static charge due to the screen constantly rubbing against your pocket as you move around. Both could work as explanations as I've never had it happen while just sitting on my desk.

Usually either hitting the power button a few times or giving it a few seconds to collect itself has resolved the issue. Another quick way around it that I've read on here is if the unlock slider will register a touch but not actually slide try using a 2nd finger to touch past the dot that you have to drag the unlock slider to. When you let go with the finger that is over the unlock slider and wiggle the second finger it should jump the slider over to that unlocking your phone.

Guest Warpedflash
I've read that it has more to do with actually being in your pocket than anything else. I've had the issue with my Streak since day one on the stock 1.6. Best guesses I've read have been that either the heat from being in your pocket is affecting it, or that it may actually be creating some kind of static charge due to the screen constantly rubbing against your pocket as you move around. Both could work as explanations as I've never had it happen while just sitting on my desk.

Usually either hitting the power button a few times or giving it a few seconds to collect itself has resolved the issue. Another quick way around it that I've read on here is if the unlock slider will register a touch but not actually slide try using a 2nd finger to touch past the dot that you have to drag the unlock slider to. When you let go with the finger that is over the unlock slider and wiggle the second finger it should jump the slider over to that unlocking your phone.

The 2 finger thing sounds like a neat idea! Might have to give that a go at some point. This problem bugs the hell out of me...

Guest BETTEROFTWOEVlLS
The 2 finger thing sounds like a neat idea! Might have to give that a go at some point. This problem bugs the hell out of me...

I've had to use this method several times when I was feeling a little more impatient (Usually when I'm at work trying to unlock my phone to set timers for various tasks.) and it's worked well. As long as the unlock slider is at the very least recognizing the touch you will have no problem unlocking the phone like this. Of course there have been times where it simply wont recognize any touch at all, and for that you're stuck waiting a few seconds.

I think this should go without saying, but this also works on the silencer as well.

I bought one of those cheaper £5 cases off ebay that dcmugen88 is selling, as the Otterbox Commuter case is causing static electricity build up and causing the screen to become unresponsive for me when unlocking. So far had it a few days and it is working well. I already have a Zagg total protector over it.

Guest Trippple

Ok, I have a Dell Streak. When I got it a few weeks ago I had de android 2.1 everything was fine.

Then I updated it to 2.2.... been having freezes the entire time.

With that 2 finger trickery i can unlock it. What I noticed then is that after the "freeze" as long as i used it in portrait it was fine and in landscape I had problems. So i disabled the automatic rotation of the screen and tried that. But no succes, still te same issues. But it did seem to happen a bit less. (I think)

I also noticed that it only happens when I put it in my pocket, if i leave it on the table or put in my front pocket of my Hoody (i think you call it that, sweater with a hood and a pocket on the front) i have no problems.

I've seen people try set cpu and all sorts of things on forums for other devices, but I can't find any solutions.

Edited by Trippple

Guest stinky817

i've had the same problem since day one. with 1.6, 2.1, and all of the different version from Mr. Hyde. if it's in my pants pocket i'm 95% guaranteed that it's going to do this. so i just keep it in my hoodie pocket, or sitting on a desk type surface. and the 2 finger trick works if the phone wont slide, but it registers the touching of the unlock button.

Edit: oh, i've tried recalibrating as well...doesn't make a difference

Edited by stinky817

Guest netonyx

It's a very common (if not universal) problem that seems to come from keeping the Streak in your pocket. The one sure method of eliminating it that I've found is to keep it in my pocket with the screen facing out, away from my body. Something about the constant contact with your person is desensitizing large portions of the screen.

In my experience, as long as I remember to keep the screen facing out, this never happens anymore.

Guest SAman1
It's a very common (if not universal) problem that seems to come from keeping the Streak in your pocket. The one sure method of eliminating it that I've found is to keep it in my pocket with the screen facing out, away from my body. Something about the constant contact with your person is desensitizing large portions of the screen.

In my experience, as long as I remember to keep the screen facing out, this never happens anymore.

Yep, that appears to be the best solution by consensus where the issue has been discussed extensively over at the other forum.

Guest Trippple

To bad that the screen becomes more vulnerable then... Does anybody know why this problem only seems to happen to android phones?

Guest Dunhamzzz
To bad that the screen becomes more vulnerable then... Does anybody know why this problem only seems to happen to android phones?

Because Apple use a better quality touchscreen?

On a side note is there a way to adjust the temperature that the screen reads? It's more than likely at hardware level though :unsure:

Guest fonetastic

I dont actually put mine in my pocket the screen actually goes unresponsive when im using it, I could be typing a text and all of a sudden the buttons stop and only the left eighth of a screen works. Its annoying as hell.

Guest jmhalder
Because Apple use a better quality touchscreen?

On a side note is there a way to adjust the temperature that the screen reads? It's more than likely at hardware level though :unsure:

they dont read temperature, they read breaks in capacitance, the screen is charged, and polled for changes... not heat though, which is why you can use your phone outside, or with cold fingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_se...#Circuit_Design

Guest kev24k
I dont actually put mine in my pocket the screen actually goes unresponsive when im using it, I could be typing a text and all of a sudden the buttons stop and only the left eighth of a screen works. Its annoying as hell.

Same. In pocket, out of pocket. It doesnt matter. I will be doing my unlock pattern and it will just stop or lag. I have to lock the screen and unlock a few times and hope I can then unlock the streak smoothly so I can use it. Its becoming more and more frequent and very frustrating. About to use qdl to go to 2.2 stock and see if it solves it.

Guest adzman808

i've had this on all the builds i've tried (ie Steve & stock) although tbh i haven't been getting it as bad as you guys (or have a higher tolerance to annoyance ~ which is unlikely :unsure:)

personally i wait a few moments... if i bring the dell out of a 'sleep' & wait a couple of secs then the screen seems to be respsonsive

[this is especially the case when turnign the device on, it seems that the screen lights up before it becomes live to touch]

oh yes, i think i can honestly say i've never kept the streak in my jeans pocket... i'm too scared of sitting on it!!