Using the Vega to control a PC

Guest bennji_boy

Guest bennji_boy

Is it possible to control my PC wirelessly with my soon to arrive Vega?

ie play songs saved on the hard drive of the PC on the Vega, download files from the internet onto the PC and move files between the Vega and the PC?

If so can anyone give me advice how to set this up please?

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find anything.

Guest debs626

Gmote (free in the market) is pretty good at streaming files from pc to vega (make sure you have "play on device" selected) as you may well know not all video formats are supported on the Vega but if you have Rockplayer installed I dont think you will find many that wont play.

I've been using Pocket cloud (free on the market) to remotely control my PC (remote desktop) works pretty well but takes some setting up, you also need to install the Pocket Cloud companion onto the pc that you want to control.

DropBox is an awesome app for sharing files between devices, supported on Android, Iphone/ipod, blackberry and PC.

HTH

Guest bennji_boy
Gmote (free in the market) is pretty good at streaming files from pc to vega (make sure you have "play on device" selected) as you may well know not all video formats are supported on the Vega but if you have Rockplayer installed I dont think you will find many that wont play.

I've been using Pocket cloud (free on the market) to remotely control my PC (remote desktop) works pretty well but takes some setting up, you also need to install the Pocket Cloud companion onto the pc that you want to control.

DropBox is an awesome app for sharing files between devices, supported on Android, Iphone/ipod, blackberry and PC.

HTH

Thanks Debs, I'll have a go at them

Guest bennji_boy

HTH

Got all them and they work great thanks, just a couple of questions though:

When using gmote, can I play mp3 files using power amp or am I stuck with the gmote 'player'?

I clicked your llnk to dropbox but didn't seem to get 250gb free like it suggested, did you?

Guest Samlock
I clicked your llnk to dropbox but didn't seem to get 250gb free like it suggested, did you?

250mb not gb matey :P

More on-topic: Was about to start a thread asking the same question, but it looks like Gmote will do what I want! Thanks :D

Guest bennji_boy
250mb not gb matey B)

More on-topic: Was about to start a thread asking the same question, but it looks like Gmote will do what I want! Thanks :P

Oops :D

Guest bennji_boy
More on-topic: Was about to start a thread asking the same question, but it looks like Gmote will do what I want! Thanks :D
my problem is my file structure is terrible so I need a library thing to sort it out for me.

Guest warriorscot

I've never been able to get it to work properly streaming like that. However if I remember you can set up winamp to connect with it on your PC and access that library over wireless that might work for you.

On the original question the best app for doing that is probably teamviewer its a breeze to set up and its free for home users and has tonnes of features. I used to use a more standard but complicated VNC set up but I just use teamviewer now its very impressive.

Guest zzleezz
I've never been able to get it to work properly streaming like that. However if I remember you can set up winamp to connect with it on your PC and access that library over wireless that might work for you.

On the original question the best app for doing that is probably teamviewer its a breeze to set up and its free for home users and has tonnes of features. I used to use a more standard but complicated VNC set up but I just use teamviewer now its very impressive.

Wow, great recommendation! Installed TeamViewer and it is a breeze to set up and works very very well. I had a look at Pocket Cloud but was put off with them using your gmail details as authentication, that just doesnt feel safe to me, I might be wrong but I just dont fancy that.

Guest bennji_boy

HTH

I installed Rockplayer and can now play wmv files that are stored in the device but can't seem to get it to work streaming wmv files from the pc.

Also, I installed winamp and have paired device with desktop and it looks like the only sync option that 's available involves transfering files from pc to device which is no good because there's not enough storage on my device?

Guest debs626
I installed Rockplayer and can now play wmv files that are stored in the device but can't seem to get it to work streaming wmv files from the pc.

Also, I installed winamp and have paired device with desktop and it looks like the only sync option that 's available involves transfering files from pc to device which is no good because there's not enough storage on my device?

I have come to the conclusion that Gmote only takes advantage of the stock apps and not what you have installed ??? I may be wrong.

Also it looks like the app )Gmote) isn't being supported any more :D shame really because it could really become something, it has potential

Edited by debs626

Guest bennji_boy
I have come to the conclusion that Gmote only takes advantage of the stock apps and not what you have installed ??? I may be wrong.

Also it looks like the app )Gmote) isn't being supported any more :D shame really because it could really become something, it has potential

Are there no alternative apps for this task?

Gmote will allow you to choose which app to play video with. (As long as you don't select "Use as default"). Same as when opening links, I get a choice of default or dolphin browsers.

• 2 months later...
Guest princeotter

+1 for Teamviewer. Been trying a number of the various apps/programs to either control PC or act as a remote for PC as I have got the PC linked to TV for watching Lovefilms and Skyplayer (using a long HDMI cable - although SWMBO isn't happy about the trailing cable lol) - so all I really needed was remote keyboard as had a wireless mouse already but being a tightwad didn't want to pay for a new wireless keyboard. I have tried progs such as GMote, PC Cloud, Android VNC, Droidmote, Logitech Remote Mouse but I have to say that Teamviewer is the best and easiest. Although I didn't "need" the ability to see the PC screen on the Vega I now find it is a very useful program. I like that I can put the PC to sleep remotely and then use a Wake On Lan program to wake it up and control from the lounge or bedroom (although again that gets me black marks from the boss!)

I also like that I can get it on my Ipod Touch (cough cough) as well. Definitely worth a look if anybody wants to control their PC or just needs a wireless mouse/keyboard. Going to install it on my old mans PC when I am up there this weekend and hopefully that will mean that I can sort out any of his PC issues easily by doing it myself remotely rather than having to talk him through what to do (not easy with an 80 year old I can assure you...) - I never found that the Windows remote assistance program worked particularly well

Guest goatee
Gmote will allow you to choose which app to play video with. (As long as you don't select "Use as default"). Same as when opening links, I get a choice of default or dolphin browsers.

Yup -and if you do have a default selected, you can go in to manage applications, choose the one which is the default, and click "Clear Defaults".