USB Host / Slave switcher - widget

Guest MaxiP

Very easy to switch between host / slave mode but I forget which mode the device is in. I know that (for me) it will be mainly used in Host, but not always. Is there a widget that can indicate which mode is active or a system variable that Tasker could read to display or is there already some visible indicator which mode is active ?

TIA

Guest fudgeboy
Very easy to switch between host / slave mode but I forget which mode the device is in. I know that (for me) it will be mainly used in Host, but not always. Is there a widget that can indicate which mode is active or a system variable that Tasker could read to display or is there already some visible indicator which mode is active ?

That would be nice.

I'm a bit scared of forgetting it's in host mode and plugging it into my PC, with both devices trying to supply power to the other.

Guest remlap

Lets go analogue old school here but what a about some little stickers that are easily removable when in slave mode?

Would be a great add on to Paul's application a notification I agree.

Edited by remlap

Guest rvdgeer
Lets go analogue old school here but what a about some little stickers that are easily removable when in slave mode?

Would be a great add on to Paul's application a notification I agree.

Don't know if it's possible to 'read' the USB mode, but I do know it should be possible to perform an extra action when using the switch...

Like renaming, moving or copying a file just before it flashes the boot image...

It's not very reliable, because if you change the USB mode in any other way (ie. not with the switcher) it would display the wrong state...

Guest montage

If you you forget just plug a usb stick in and if it reads it you know your in host.. nice to have a widget but any battery drain isnt worth the hassle involved in a small check

Guest Pyr0x64

just check your kernel version in settings>about device

if it says DIX_UK at the end, then you are in slave mode

if it says POV, then you are in host mode

just check your kernel version in settings>about device

if it says DIX_UK at the end, then you are in slave mode

if it says POV, then you are in host mode

Excellent - that would suggest that someone who knows about these things could make a widget / app that could query the device and return eith Host or Slave depending on the text content ?

Guest trevor432990

Paul has suggested he may well provide a 'safe eject' mechanism for his USB Host/Slave mod (see topic) and I have also asked if it might be possible for him to include some visible indicator to show which mode is currently being used. It seems that using the setting Pyro mentioned that should be relatively straightforward so will keep my fingers crossed :unsure:

Guest simonta
Excellent - that would suggest that someone who knows about these things could make a widget / app that could query the device and return eith Host or Slave depending on the text content ?

I just know I'm going to regret this :unsure:

When you're in host mode, you don't get the little USB symbol in the notication tray. Or am I missing the point?

Guest trevor432990
I just know I'm going to regret this :unsure:

When you're in host mode, you don't get the little USB symbol in the notication tray. Or am I missing the point?

You don't get that symbol always. I've just tried both modes and nothing is present in notification bar to indicate which mode I'm in.

Guest simonta
You don't get that symbol always. I've just tried both modes and nothing is present in notification bar to indicate which mode I'm in.

Well in that case, I'm sorry!

By way of atonement, I knocked up a wee app with a widget to do the job for you.

NB. This app/widget relies on the kernel version to work. A new update from Advent or a new version of the host/slave images from Paul may break the app in which case I'll need to release a new version. Hopefully by then, there'll be no need for this app though..

Now I'm the first to admit that my graphics skills are somewhere between WTF and cr*p. If some kind soul would care to provide nice graphics for the widget, fit to grace the screen of a Vega, I'll gladly recompile with the new images.

Feedback welcome. Especially, does it work! I've only tested it on my beasty with 1.06_5 and r6.

Cheers all

Advent_Vega_USB_Mode_v1.4.apk.zip

Edited by simonta

Guest rvdgeer
Well in that case, I'm sorry!

By way of atonement, I knocked up a wee app with a widget to do the job for you.

NB. This app/widget relies on the kernel version to work. A new update from Advent or a new version of the host/slave images from Paul may break the app in which case I'll need to release a new version. Hopefully by then, there'll be no need for this app though..

Now I'm the first to admit that my graphics skills are somewhere between WTF and cr*p. If some kind soul would care to provide nice graphics for the widget, fit to grace the screen of a Vega, I'll gladly recompile with the new images.

Feedback welcome. Especially, does it work! I've only tested it on my beasty with 1.06_5 and r6.

Cheers all

And where do we find the app/widget?

:unsure:

EDIT: Nevermind, it's there now...

Edited by rvdgeer

Graphics aside (which look pretty good anyway), this is exactly what my original question was !!!

Thank you very much :unsure: only improvement B) would be that when you press the widget, the USB Mode switcher starts

Happy bunny now.....

Edited by MaxiP

Guest trevor432990

Nice one Simon but it's too big to fit on my already full home screen. Is there a way I can shrink it or will you have to re-issue it ? :unsure:

Guest simonta
when you press the widget, the USB Mode switcher starts

With pleasure. The post with the attachment has been updated with v1.1. Just click the widget to launch the switcher.

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Guest simonta
Nice one Simon but it's too big to fit on my already full home screen. Is there a way I can shrink it or will you have to re-issue it ? :unsure:

I'll have to redo the images. Think what I'll do is add a second version of the widget with smaller images so you can choose a large or small option when installing.

Cheers

Wow, you lot are active!

32 seconds between updating with v1.1 and the first download....

When you get goodies like this, no point in hanging about !!

Thanks again.

Guest simonta

Okey dokey, v1.2 is in the post with the attachment. It adds a small version of the widget - let me know if it's small enough.

Cheers

Edited by simonta

Okey dokey, v1.2 is in the post with the attachment. It adds a small version of the widget - let me know if it's small enough.

Cheers

That is very cool and I like the graphics!!

Simon, thanks for the widget - it's great and just what I hadn't realised I needed!

I installed your first version of this widget which was large and just showed host/slave. If I udate to the new small widget will it work as I am not using Paul's version of the USB switcher. I'm still using the GScript as it works we'll enough for me. I know it's cheeky, but would you be able to make a version that would load te GScript app?

Guest simonta
Simon, thanks for the widget - it's great and just what I hadn't realised I needed!

I installed your first version of this widget which was large and just showed host/slave. If I udate to the new small widget will it work as I am not using Paul's version of the USB switcher. I'm still using the GScript as it works we'll enough for me. I know it's cheeky, but would you be able to make a version that would load te GScript app?

Hi

I'll do it if I get some time - it takes a suprising amount of effort, especially testing, once you go outside your own app. I think most people will update to r6 so that's my primary target but I promise I'll take a look next time I'm developing.

Cheers, and thanks for all for the thanks!

Hi

I'll do it if I get some time - it takes a suprising amount of effort, especially testing, once you go outside your own app. I think most people will update to r6 so that's my primary target but I promise I'll take a look next time I'm developing.

Cheers, and thanks for all for the thanks!

Understand and appreciate what's already been done - Thanks again!

Edit: Don't worry I've been able to resize it using ADW Launcher

Edited by pdej

Guest remlap

Could anyone with some more smarts than me change it to these?

USB plug or USB Host

Computer for USB Slave.

Great application mate!

Or have the USB arrow pointing outwards like this

post-26571-1294270701_thumb.png

post-26571-1294270708_thumb.png

post-26571-1294270715_thumb.png

post-26571-1294270723_thumb.png

post-26571-1294271303_thumb.png

post-26571-1294271308_thumb.png

post-26571-1294271363_thumb.png

post-26571-1294271373_thumb.png