Android Music Player

Guest 2old2mould

Guest 2old2mould

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a Vega and N1 and still marvel at the absolute ease at which you can continue to improve the devices through software development alone (or perhaps I should be moaning about the way the devices were released without the developers truly harnessing their full potential... anyhoo).

I have one gripe about these devices, related entirely to the stock music player (and subsequently the way in which other music players handle particular album types).

The Android stock player sucks when handling compilations... there, I said it. My main gripe however is this...

Despite the stock player being set up to recognise the Album Artist first then the Artist it still generates a multitude of 'albums' when you have compilations on the devices. This is driving me nuts. On one drunken evening at home in front of Winamp I decided I would place the Tom Jones album 'reloaded' onto my N1. Imagine my surprise when, eventually sober, I turn on my device and discover somewhere in the region of 20 different albums (all single tracks) starring said Mr Jones and some other warbling muppet.

Disastre senor!

A few nights later, wrapped in the warm, comforting arms of Mr Jack Daniels I decided to download and place 'American Anthems' onto my Vega with the same cataclysmic effect (bizarrely I have a propensity for loud soft rock music when I'm jarred up).

Attempts at deleting said albums leave a residue of the 'album' folders behind as well, like some nasty red wine carpet stain, a haunting reminder of a drunken night when all self control was abandoned leaving only a marked textile surface and a sense of deep self loathing and regret.

I want to be able to place compilations on my Android devices without these multiple entries being created, to enable easier listening and quicker deletion when self awareness returns.

Can anyone help with a patch? Surely someone in the creche at Google has tried to save a mixed album onto their device and thought 'this is pants', so maybe there's a way of doing this that doesn't involve renaming albums and re-editing ID3 tags (which is surely the most heinous waste of precious time a human has ever undertaken?!).

Come on community... If Android is ever to compete against the iPoo we need to get this basic 'shizzle' sorted out. Any advice, thoughts, comments that can help are most gratefully received...

Now, in which folder did I save the Saints and Sinners album by Whitesnake...

2o2m.

Guest bennji_boy
Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a Vega and N1 and still marvel at the absolute ease at which you can continue to improve the devices through software development alone (or perhaps I should be moaning about the way the devices were released without the developers truly harnessing their full potential... anyhoo).

I have one gripe about these devices, related entirely to the stock music player (and subsequently the way in which other music players handle particular album types).

The Android stock player sucks when handling compilations... there, I said it. My main gripe however is this...

Despite the stock player being set up to recognise the Album Artist first then the Artist it still generates a multitude of 'albums' when you have compilations on the devices. This is driving me nuts. On one drunken evening at home in front of Winamp I decided I would place the Tom Jones album 'reloaded' onto my N1. Imagine my surprise when, eventually sober, I turn on my device and discover somewhere in the region of 20 different albums (all single tracks) starring said Mr Jones and some other warbling muppet.

Disastre senor!

A few nights later, wrapped in the warm, comforting arms of Mr Jack Daniels I decided to download and place 'American Anthems' onto my Vega with the same cataclysmic effect (bizarrely I have a propensity for loud soft rock music when I'm jarred up).

Attempts at deleting said albums leave a residue of the 'album' folders behind as well, like some nasty red wine carpet stain, a haunting reminder of a drunken night when all self control was abandoned leaving only a marked textile surface and a sense of deep self loathing and regret.

I want to be able to place compilations on my Android devices without these multiple entries being created, to enable easier listening and quicker deletion when self awareness returns.

Can anyone help with a patch? Surely someone in the creche at Google has tried to save a mixed album onto their device and thought 'this is pants', so maybe there's a way of doing this that doesn't involve renaming albums and re-editing ID3 tags (which is surely the most heinous waste of precious time a human has ever undertaken?!).

Come on community... If Android is ever to compete against the iPoo we need to get this basic 'shizzle' sorted out. Any advice, thoughts, comments that can help are most gratefully received...

Now, in which folder did I save the Saints and Sinners album by Whitesnake...

2o2m.

That's nothing, I got about ten seconds into Go Out and Get em Boy by the Wedding Present before it flipped to French Disko by Stereolab. I downloaded Power amp immediately

Edited by bennji_boy

Guest 2old2mould

Yes bizarrely that has also happened to me... Does Power Amp view the ID3 tags differently then? The Android system creates multiple folders for compilations on the SD card so I was under the impression that all music players would suffer from the same issue?

Does anyone else have a view? It's really annoying and it's preventing me hooking my Vega up to my stereo to use as a streaming music player.

2o2m.

• 2 months later...
Guest nvkid909

BUMP!

Just googled this problem & found here.

I deleted all my music so I could use "Motorola Media Sync" to sync my iTunes playlist.

My compilations were fine before I did this.

Now there are lot's of comps albums with one track in, each.

It's a bit silly, Media Sync for Mac & I now have to go back to drag & drop (a la Windows).

:D :D

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Guest davethechamp

Not sure if this will help.. but my experiences were similar till I started tidying up my music and setting the tags properly.

I hate to say but I use itunes for music player (though I dont have iproduct!!)!! Used together with itunes agent my music on my Desire and vega are nicely sorted using stock player or others.

My tip would be to check your tags from within itunes. (select album/ right click / get info) For compilations I have set the album artist to "various" and on the options tab i have selected "compilation", also on the sorting tab i always add the album title and album artist - Various for compilations.

Hope this helps

Dave