Questions about 2.2 on GT540 ( CyanogenMod )

Guest Shane-

Guest Shane-

Heyy there, I'm kind of new to the Android scene, registered here about two weeks ago, but have mainly only read so far, have found any questions I tend to have; have already been asked and answered, although this one ain't.

(Before I continue, I'll point out I'm not a n00b, just would rather avoid too many problems - Lol)

I remember reading that Froyo wasn't compatible with GT540 due to hardware restrictions (internal memory being too small), Although?

http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-gt540...pdates-from-lg/ - The roms I've checked (2.1) out there tend to be 120-130mb

From downloading the Openswift ( CyanogenMod ) file, I've noticed that the total size is 115mb, I'd have assumed that 2.2 would be considerable larger than 2.1, which leaves wondering what's different, I'm aware its a different rom with modifications, but to keep the file size in par with 2.1, have things been removed, and if so, what was removed?

Another question would be what are the main benefits of upgrading? I've read the CyanogenMod Wiki, but that mainly includes commonly known things (Tethering, Native App2sd, performance boost), a better clarified list would be awesome (Not limited to upgrading to CyanogenMod, but 2.2 in general (Using 2.1 at the moment))

Another question which is [kind of] answered, but also isn't is; what doesn't work, I've read the camera works in some places, although it doesn't in other places, radio is general seems not to work, and "bluetooth audio" (Unsure what that is though, only used bluetooth is transfer files)) just wondering if they is anything else supposedly not working

In relation to last question, If I'm best of waiting for another release of a more finalized, is they an ETA I'm expecting to wait for?

And last question (I think?) - When I installed App2SD, I partitioned my SD card (70%/25%/5%), but I'm aware 2.2 has native A2SD, Aswell as CyanogenMod having A2SD, am I best of keeping those partitions, or would it be best to partition my SD card to one partition, If the answers a one partition, I'll be correct to assume it wants to be FAT32? (2gb card if that matters)

-

A rather off-the-topic question.

1. Is it possible to install the same application multiply times? - At the moment I tend to have Facebook for Android logged into my account, and "Facebook for Android LG" logged into another account, so switching between accounts isn't an endless task, I'm aware I can re-download Facebook for LG, although it has limitations vs the official release.

-

Kind regards

Shane

Guest despotovski01
Heyy there, I'm kind of new to the Android scene, registered here about two weeks ago, but have mainly only read so far, have found any questions I tend to have; have already been asked and answered, although this one ain't.

(Before I continue, I'll point out I'm not a n00b, just would rather avoid too many problems - Lol)

I remember reading that Froyo wasn't compatible with GT540 due to hardware restrictions (internal memory being too small), Although?

http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-gt540...pdates-from-lg/ - The roms I've checked (2.1) out there tend to be 120-130mb

From downloading the Openswift ( CyanogenMod ) file, I've noticed that the total size is 115mb, I'd have assumed that 2.2 would be considerable larger than 2.1, which leaves wondering what's different, I'm aware its a different rom with modifications, but to keep the file size in par with 2.1, have things been removed, and if so, what was removed?

Another question would be what are the main benefits of upgrading? I've read the CyanogenMod Wiki, but that mainly includes commonly known things (Tethering, Native App2sd, performance boost), a better clarified list would be awesome (Not limited to upgrading to CyanogenMod, but 2.2 in general (Using 2.1 at the moment))

Another question which is [kind of] answered, but also isn't is; what doesn't work, I've read the camera works in some places, although it doesn't in other places, radio is general seems not to work, and "bluetooth audio" (Unsure what that is though, only used bluetooth is transfer files)) just wondering if they is anything else supposedly not working

In relation to last question, If I'm best of waiting for another release of a more finalized, is they an ETA I'm expecting to wait for?

And last question (I think?) - When I installed App2SD, I partitioned my SD card (70%/25%/5%), but I'm aware 2.2 has native A2SD, Aswell as CyanogenMod having A2SD, am I best of keeping those partitions, or would it be best to partition my SD card to one partition, If the answers a one partition, I'll be correct to assume it wants to be FAT32? (2gb card if that matters)

-

A rather off-the-topic question.

1. Is it possible to install the same application multiply times? - At the moment I tend to have Facebook for Android logged into my account, and "Facebook for Android LG" logged into another account, so switching between accounts isn't an endless task, I'm aware I can re-download Facebook for LG, although it has limitations vs the official release.

-

Kind regards

Shane

Android 2.2.1 is smaller in size-you have 138MB free in the beginning. App2sd works great. Only the FM Radio and the bluetooth stereo don't work. The camera and bloetooth file transfer now work.

You can't download facebook for LG. Instead of that, you can download normal Facebook app.

Guest mistercovert
Does the third-party Android 2.2 ROM support putting the phone into an wireless access point mode out of the box?

No it doesn't, it has USB tethering through. I use Barnacle app that gives turns the phone into an access point, this allows you to have adhoc connections with WEP security keys.