Bluetooth Pair Phone-to-Tablet = GPS + Internet

Guest rpmccormick

Guest rpmccormick

I'm trying to get this all working so the tablet can be my CarPC (Navigation, Pandora, YouTube, local Music/Vids, etc)

Wifi doesn't seem to work too well with Bluetooth turned on, plus if the phone has bluetooth on for car-speakerphone, and for GPS sharing with tablet (need an app on each device), why not leave WiFi off on both devices and use Bluetooth for internet on tablet too?

There are multiple apps for the phone to share internet over bluetooth, but I cannot figure out how to make the tablet connect to BT-DUN for internet. Has anyone solved this issue?

GPS: Use Bluetooth2GPS app (or similar) on phone, and BluetoothGPSProvider app (or similar) on Tablet.

Internet: Use WiFi Tether for Root Users in BTmode (or PDA-NET, or similar) on phone, use ?????? on Tablet.

I can't wait to have GoogleMaps navigation on that huge tablet screen instead of my tiny phone. Please help.

(If you have successfully WiFi Tethered or USB Tethered while having bluetooth on, I'd like to hear about that too, but Android-to-Android BT tether would be best)

Guest rpmccormick

NICE! I did the following and it worked!

D:\Work\Android\sdk\tools>adb shell

# pand --connect {my phones BT hex address}

pand --connect {my phones BT hex address}

# ifconfig bnep0 down

ifconfig bnep0 down

# dhcpcd bnep0

dhcpcd bnep0

[: permission denied

# setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

# dhcpcd bnep0

dhcpcd bnep0
Now I just have to set everything up so that when I enable BT on the tablet, it automatically runs those commands as well as starting GPS provider. If someone could make an app or a script to do that, please share. It would also be nice to have GPS2Bluetooth and WiFi Tether (in BT mode) auto run and enable when BT is enabled on the phone. I must learn how to make utility apps like these eventually. I will post them if/when I do. Google Navigation is such a great use of the tablet. EDIT: For now I am using GScript lite with the following script commands:

ifconfig bnep0 down

dhcpcd bnep0

setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

dhcpcd bnep0

(for some reason the first dhcpcd command always says permission denied, but the last one always works)

So...

1) Get in to car with Android phone and Vega Tablet.

2) On phone: Enable GPS/Bluetooth, click GPS2Bluetooth widget button, click WiFi Tether for root users, press to start tethering.

3) On tablet: Enable Bluetooth, click Bluetooth GPS Provider, click Start, click Back or Home, click GScript Lite, click "Connect to BT-PAN" (above script)

4) Run GoogleMaps/Navigation on tablet and enjoy using your tablet as the ultimate GPS navigation system (while streaming Pandora in the background)!

I am very happy. I just wish I could make step 2 & 3 be a single click instead of so many.

NOTE: Must have "Allow mock locations" enabled in Settings->Applications->Development

NOTE2: You must pair your phone and tablet in BT settings (it will never say "connected" though, which is fine)

Edited by rpmccormick

Guest carl rose
NICE! I did the following and it worked!

D:\Work\Android\sdk\tools>adb shell

# pand --connect {my phones BT hex address}

# ifconfig bnep0 down

ifconfig bnep0 down

# dhcpcd bnep0

dhcpcd bnep0

# setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

# dhcpcd bnep0

dhcpcd bnep0
Now I just have to set everything up so that when I enable BT on the tablet, it automatically runs those commands as well as starting GPS provider. If someone could make an app or a script to do that, please share. It would also be nice to have GPS2Bluetooth and WiFi Tether (in BT mode) auto run and enable when BT is enabled on the phone. I must learn how to make utility apps like these eventually. I will post them if/when I do. Google Navigation is such a great use of the tablet. EDIT: For now I am using GScript lite with the following script commands:

ifconfig bnep0 down

dhcpcd bnep0

setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

dhcpcd bnep0

(for some reason the first dhcpcd command always says permission denied, but the last one always works)

So...

1) Get in to car with Android phone and Vega Tablet.

2) On phone: Enable GPS/Bluetooth, click GPS2Bluetooth widget button, click WiFi Tether for root users, press to start tethering.

3) On tablet: Enable Bluetooth, click Bluetooth GPS Provider, click Start, click Back or Home, click GScript Lite, click "Connect to BT-PAN" (above script)

4) Run GoogleMaps/Navigation on tablet and enjoy using your tablet as the ultimate GPS navigation system (while streaming Pandora in the background)!

I am very happy. I just wish I could make step 2 & 3 be a single click instead of so many.

NOTE: Must have "Allow mock locations" enabled in Settings->Applications->Development

NOTE2: You must pair your phone and tablet in BT settings (it will never say "connected" though, which is fine)

Wow, I hope this works! I need to tether from my iphone 4 to my vega. I have not taken the vega out because I cannot tether and without internet there is not much point. Thanks for your work

Guest trevor432990

All the above sounds great in concept and I'll be interested to hear how you progress but in this country 3G mobile coverage can be patchy in some areas and so I'm not sure if using Google for navigation will ever be that reliable and fully replace the existing sat-nav systems. It would be nice to hear from someone in the UK who has actually tried out the Vega for navigation to see what their actual experience has been. :unsure:

All the above sounds great in concept and I'll be interested to hear how you progress but in this country 3G mobile coverage can be patchy in some areas and so I'm not sure if using Google for navigation will ever be that reliable and fully replace the existing sat-nav systems. It would be nice to hear from someone in the UK who has actually tried out the Vega for navigation to see what their actual experience has been. :unsure:

I use Google Navigation on my Android phone all the time without any problems, and the new verion 5.0 of the Maps app should be even better as it is now vector-based and thus can cache the entire route before you set off. Using Navigation on the vega should be exactly the same as long as the tethering and GPS works. Anyway, you don't necessarily need 3G coverage - GPRS should work too.

Guest trevor432990
I use Google Navigation on my Android phone all the time without any problems, and the new verion 5.0 of the Maps app should be even better as it is now vector-based and thus can cache the entire route before you set off. Using Navigation on the vega should be exactly the same as long as the tethering and GPS works. Anyway, you don't necessarily need 3G coverage - GPRS should work too.

That's good news I shall look forward to hearing how you all get on with it as a navigation device then as I've got to upgrade my phone before I can make use of all these sweet mobile apps as I've only got an old iPhone 2G right now :unsure:

Guest rpmccormick

? I got it to work... it's in the bottom of the second post.

It works with any rooted Android phone (possibly using PDA-Net without root).

All you need is GPS+Data (even "1g" if such a thing exists). I do not know if any iPhone can be a BT-PAN server and/or a BT-GPS server, but if they can, then your 2G should work just fine.

Guest Tony Williams
Wow, I hope this works! I need to tether from my iphone 4 to my vega. I have not taken the vega out because I cannot tether and without internet there is not much point. Thanks for your work

Apple in their wisdom handicap the iphones bluetooth capabilities so this is unlikely to work. If your iphone is jailbroken you can use MyWi and the wpa_supplicant mod discussed elsewhere on this forum to tether your iphone. Works great in fact i`m using it now to reply to this message. Tony

Guest carl rose
Apple in their wisdom handicap the iphones bluetooth capabilities so this is unlikely to work. If your iphone is jailbroken you can use MyWi and the wpa_supplicant mod discussed elsewhere on this forum to tether your iphone. Works great in fact i`m using it now to reply to this message. Tony

I would love to use that but I am afraid of using the clockwork mod. Not afraid really but cautious. Is there a safer way to do it? How did you do it? Is it safe and did you have to leave the clockwork mod or did you take it out after flashing the wpa_supplicant? I have got mywi and can install pdanet. I bought them both when I was richer. I only have mywi installed at the moment though. It would be nice to hear how you done it and if you faced any major issues? All I hear in this forum is people with clockworkmod problems. I have got an iphone 4 4.1 jailbroken officially unlocked. They did handicap the iphones bluetooth for transfer but I can tether officially via bluetooth or usb. Without the need for mywi or pdanet

Edited by carl rose

Guest Tony Williams
I would love to use that but I am afraid of using the clockwork mod. Not afraid really but cautious. Is there a safer way to do it? How did you do it? Is it safe and did you have to leave the clockwork mod or did you take it out after flashing the wpa_supplicant? I have got mywi and can install pdanet. I bought them both when I was richer. I only have mywi installed at the moment though. It would be nice to hear how you done it and if you faced any major issues? All I hear in this forum is people with clockworkmod problems. I have got an iphone 4 4.1 jailbroken officially unlocked. They did handicap the iphones bluetooth for transfer but I can tether officially via bluetooth or usb. Without the need for mywi or pdanet

I too am cautious about the clockworkmod and am not going to install it until either it appears to be more stable or i feel my knowledge is such that i can guarantee i can get out of trouble should it arise :unsure: i just replaced the wpa_supplicant file manually with a patched version using root explorer SIMONTA gives some instructions here which were invaluable in getting it working. If you message me with your email address i can let you have a copy of the patched file i used. Tony

Guest rpmccormick

Alternate install:

Open the zip, pull out the wpa_supplicant file. Adb remount. Adb push it to system/bin. True for any flashible zip (may have to chmod too)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dannight

I'm struggling with this, please bear with me as I have not got a good grasp of Android coding yet, so I can't work out if I'm following your directions correctly or if I'm missing something else.

Running MCR6 on Vega, PDA NET on unrooted 2.1 Milestone (not tried custom rom yet as is my work phone and can't afford to brick it, even if it's only for a few days)

I have set PDA NET running and enabled Bluetooth DUN on Milestone

Milestone shows "Paired but not connected" in Bluetooth settings on Vega

Have installed GScript lite and added a new script named "bt tether" which requires SU perms and contains

ifconfig bnep0 down
dhcpcd bnep0
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
dhcpcd bnep0[/codebox]

have replaced {my phones BT hex address} with the hex address from the Milestone Settings > About Phone > Status > Bluetooth address (including curly braces "{")

When I run the script on the Vega I get the following

[codebox]stderr: error: SIOCGIFFLAGS (No such device)
stderr: dhcp: not found
stderr: dhcp: not found

GScript lite then closes the script (20 sec auto-close - don't know if this is normal or not as this is the first GScript I have attempted to run)

Am I missing some steps or have I configured this incorrectly?

I know you have not tried PDA NET, maybe this is providing a different IP? Don't know what the 8.8.8.8 is all about in the GScript - is there any way to find out what IP PDA NET is providing?

I may be a bit of a noob with this but please don't dumb down any replies too much as I can use search to find explanations and if I'm still stuck I'll ask, will hopefully save you time and get me to learn faster!

Guest inberno

Before running the script turns on tethering your phone.

The script connects and I have to go through the Market and Dolphin HD, but after a while it stops working even though on the phone I see the upload and download operating.

Any idea to improve the connection?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest rpmccormick

I cannot get it working on my new TMO Galaxy S 4G rooted :D It worked great with my TMO G1 custom ROM. It seems WiFi Tether for Root Users in BT mode doesn't work. PDA-NET says it is working, but I get the same SIOCGIFFLAGS error on the GScript. I know the hardware id is correct (unless about phone->status is lying to me). Strange.

Serving GPS from my new phone doesn't work either, using 3 different apps. They either never search for GPS, or they do for a second and then they FC

I have not changed anything on the Vega side, which were working perfect with the old G1. I may have to return this new Samsung Galaxy S 4G :(. Hopfully they will come out with a custom rom for it soon that happens to fix all this.

Edited by rpmccormick

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but i have found a solution to sharing GPS from phone to the Vega. There is an app on the android market called TetherGPS. This app doesn't use Bluetooth to tether but it tethers over WiFi, Install this app on your phone and tablet, then set phone as server and run the app as a client on your Vega put in the ip address of the phone and hey presto, you can also use WiFi hotspot from your phone at the same time for the data :)

Happy days.