ZTE BLADE series-Froyo kernel(2.6.32) source code

Guest agpoli

Guest kallt_kaffe
Thats what I love to hear :unsure:

They also provide SVN access which may be better for people developing using windows (with cygwin/build servers etc), my experience of git on windows gave me the impression that it was an unloved child.

Is it even possible to compile the kernel on Windows? git is OK for me although I find the github webinterface a bit confusing after having used the sourceforge git a lot in the past (androidhtc.sf.net).

Guest t0mm13b
Changing the base adress in the mkbootimg command does not help. In fact for a long time I put 0x03000000 in the mkbootimg command and it booted just fine. I believe the appsboot.mbn loads it to 0x02a00000 no matter what you put in the boot.im. Also compiling the the 2.1 kernel for 0x02600000 resulted in over 300 differences when I did a hex compare.

I suppose we could propably hack amss.mbn and appsboot.mbn to use 0x02500000 and 0x02600000 and free up 4Mb more memory but it's hardly worth the trouble and the risk. Changing the adresses and recompiling works fine.

I will give this one more shot by specifying the base address... other than that... that's about how far I can go... brain strained a bit too mucho... :unsure:

Cheers for the tip @kallt_kaffe B)

Is it even possible to compile the kernel on Windows? git is OK for me although I find the github webinterface a bit confusing after having used the sourceforge git a lot in the past (androidhtc.sf.net).

Yes and no, you can use cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) to compile it which is akin to a linux system that runs in windows (like the Microsoft Unix service).

Its great to hear you are familiar with git :unsure:

What H/W did you guys on androidhtc.sf.net get android running on?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Yes and no, you can use cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) to compile it which is akin to a linux system that runs in windows (like the Microsoft Unix service).

Its great to hear you are familiar with git :unsure:

What H/W did you guys on androidhtc.sf.net get android running on?

HTC Kaiser (TyTN II), HTC Vogue and HTC Polaris (Touch Cruise).

Guest Frankish
After doing some searching and digging the problem with porting gingerbread is that the phone services don't work, RIL? is this right?

Yes although searching and digging not necessary. It's a know issue... If we could just fix that...

Guest Arr Too
Is it even possible to compile the kernel on Windows?

I fear that your suspicions are correct, due to lots of (necessary?) .c and .h files in the same directory which have the same name apart from case (e.g. in kernel/include/linux/netfilter) -- if I were a conspiracy lover then I'd say it looks a little like deliberate sabotage!

Guest SWOriginal
Yes although searching and digging not necessary. It's a know issue... If we could just fix that...

If we could lock every dev in a room for a week I'm sure they'll find a fix :unsure:

It seems rom developing for the blade will start to get boring soon now that we have everything fixed :/, could someone not contact ZTE and ask what they've changed with the ril?

Guest Stragulus

Interesting thread to follow! I've been meaning to try and roll my own kernel, and now I've finally succeeded in doing so. Love the github setup.

Noticed that NFS support has been enabled in the .config, very happy with that :D

Guest fonix232
No, but I guess it's about time I create one.

I hoped so :D

Can you add one little thing to the kernel, what I would really love to use?

It is USB Host function, what is by default disabled in yours (AFAIK). And of course, some drivers like USB HID and Storage :P

Guest samjam
Interesting thread to follow! I've been meaning to try and roll my own kernel, and now I've finally succeeded in doing so. Love the github setup.

Noticed that NFS support has been enabled in the .config, very happy with that :D

me too - and to think I was hanging on for a cifs module - although nfs is not so simple and requires a load of user-space daemons to run on the client! (I remember cross-compiling NFS client to work on my Freecom MusicPal internet radio) so you may prefer CIFS anyway - it's just a kernel module and that's it!

Guest oh!dougal

{@kk}

Can you add one little thing to the kernel, what I would really love to use?

It is USB Host function, what is by default disabled in yours (AFAIK). And of course, some drivers like USB HID and Storage :D

USB host (with some practical drivers) & a simple enable/disable switch app (if not auto-switching just yet) is high on my wish list once the thing is rock-solid. This was presented to the forum a while back, but didn't seem to be picked up.

But cake first, then the icing!

Guest JolyonS
lots of (necessary?) .c and .h files in the same directory which have the same name apart from case (e.g. in kernel/include/linux/netfilter) -- if I were a conspiracy lover then I'd say it looks a little like deliberate sabotage!

Aren't the second set zero byte files?

Hard to imagine they are truly necessary if so.

Guest sudoeste

One question for those that know what they are talking about:

As ZTE customized framework code to communicate to radio layer, isn't ZTE supposed to release the framework code also ? isn't that also GPL ?

As ZTE customized framework code to communicate to radio layer, isn't ZTE supposed to release the framework code also ? isn't that also GPL ?

It depends whether they wrote it from a scratch or modified existing GPL code...

Guest t0mm13b
I will give this one more shot by specifying the base address... other than that... that's about how far I can go... brain strained a bit too mucho... :D

Cheers for the tip @kallt_kaffe :P

Nope! nada! the lil green dude just sits there and tries to hypnotize me with its always-on red led.... B)

Epic FAIL.... must be doing something wrong there...

I believe the appsboot.mbn loads it to 0x02a00000 no matter what you put in the boot.img.

It does recognise the change. With base set to 0x02600000 it outputs

Booting Linux

booting linux @ 0x2608000, ramdisk @ 0x3600000 (837554)

cmdline: no_console_suspend=1 console=ttyMSM2,115200n8 androidboot.hardware=blade

Open Source != GPL.

Very little of Android is covered by GPL. If it was, big corporations (Sony, Motorola etc) wouldn't be using it.

The only bit I can think of that is GPL is the kernel. The Google maintained bits are under the Apache license. A lot of the external bits are dual license, GPL and Apache/BSD, so the GPL rules aren't enforced. There are probably a few external bits that are GPL.

Guest paulsss

Is there any chance the notification LED can be made to work, blink or just stay on, when the phone is sleeping? Is this part of the kernel code? Or is all this controlled in the actual android build? Apologies if this has already been asked, just wondering where to start looking code wise.

• 9 months later...
Guest ZTE_Blade

Dear devs.

Tell us if you have built necessary modules for CIFSManager for our Blades?

I mean, cifs.ko, slow_work.ko, utf8_nls.ko (right?) - this is all I know about the names.

Please, if you have this modules, would you share them with all.

Oh, almost forgot! Is camera hackable? I mean: RAW photos, custom ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc.