ZTE BLADE series-Froyo kernel(2.6.32) source code

Guest agpoli

Guest dune99

Hi

sorry for this question. In Portugal we have a problem with the volume during a call (in SAPO a5). There is any parameter in the kernel that can help to grove it??

I've only read the first couple pages of this thread, but to all those ppl expecting a fully working cyanogenmod or gingerbread rom because of this release, sorry but its not going to happen.

Older kernels work fine with froyo and gingerbread. The RIL problems are not releated to the kernel. Its nice to have some newer code, but I don't expect this will really help with any of the problems we have.

Guest TheDOC1

The problem I'm having is: anybody seems to develop in private. Nearly noone shares his findings (or they are so widespread over the forum, that I cannot find them). Just final images are distributed.

Guest Simon O
The problem I'm having is: anybody seems to develop in private. Nearly noone shares his findings (or they are so widespread over the forum, that I cannot find them). Just final images are distributed.

Yeah I second that. All I've done is compile the source. Once I start playing with it I'll make use of github.

Guest SWOriginal
I've only read the first couple pages of this thread, but to all those ppl expecting a fully working cyanogenmod or gingerbread rom because of this release, sorry but its not going to happen.

Older kernels work fine with froyo and gingerbread. The RIL problems are not releated to the kernel. Its nice to have some newer code, but I don't expect this will really help with any of the problems we have.

Ahh did you have to knock our optimism lol, So do you think we'll ever have working Ril in gingerbread? whats needed to fix it?

Guest rayraven

Too bad then, but thanks for the clarification.

SOMEONE CHINESE TELL ZTE I LOVE THEM.... Wait to see if ril works first tho :unsure:

lets hope out of this we get

-Stable Froyo (for the people complaining: never had a freeze on mine)

-Gingerbread 2.3 /2.4

-Cyanogenmod

-MIUI

-Some other kickass Roms!

i like the sound of that, although how you get a 2.3 out of a 2.2 kernel I do not know

Guest Simon O

It's not impossible but it's hard work. We dont have the ZTE build config so any build of Android from AOSP would have to be done from scratch with a lot of faffing about.

Guest popoyaya

I see you're involved with porting Cyanogenmod to the pulse. What are the resources you have for the pulse, which make this possible, that we don't have for the blade?

Guest SWOriginal
It's not impossible but it's hard work. We dont have the ZTE build config so any build of Android from AOSP would have to be done from scratch with a lot of faffing about.

I know its unlikely but a fully working gingerbread for the blade would be worth the hassle :unsure:

nah, gingerbread doesn't add that much, froyo was much more important as it allowed users to save apps to the SD card, automatic updating of apps etc. Might be better off waiting for a rom from another country before work begins on making a gingerbread rom. Once the chinese rom leaks and all the roms on here are updated to work properly everyone can be done with 2.1 for good :unsure:

btw, is FM radio working now for you guys with todays new roms?

Edited by Guest

Guest rayraven
I know its unlikely but a fully working gingerbread for the blade would be worth the hassle :unsure:

+1, dont know how hard, but would be great!

Guest IronDoc
nah, gingerbread doesn't add that much, froyo was much more important as it allowed users to save apps to the SD card, automatic updating of apps etc. Might be better off waiting for a rom from another country before work begins on making a gingerbread rom. Once the chinese rom leaks and all the roms on here are updated to work properly everyone can be done with 2.1 for good :unsure:

btw, is FM radio working now for you guys with todays new roms?

KK said the new radio apks were still needed. I haven't tried the stock. Will do so.

Edit: It works with the apk from the stock Orange ROM.

Edited by IronDoc

Yeah I second that. All I've done is compile the source. Once I start playing with it I'll make use of github.

I have a github repo set up here https://github.com/ZTE-BLADE/ZTE-BLADE-2.6.32

I will gladly add patches from users who dont know how to use git/dont have the time to mess around with a unfamiliar code version system

I have added collaborator access for you fibblesan, if you wish to use it :unsure:

Guest t0mm13b
Regarding determining the Kernel config file has anyone tried the ZTE supplied blade 7227 one at https://github.com/ZTE-BLADE/ZTE-BLADE-2.6....blade_defconfig ?

I cant currently get into a build environment (Im stuck in windows @ the moment and my Ubuntu VM crashes when it needs RAM)

Will give this a spin tomorrow as it's 3:30am my clock :unsure:

Cheers! B)

Guest Lord_Snake

Hi, sorry the questions, but I'm a totally noob that just very recently started to use and android phone.

Just wanted to know if isn't possible to add the famous 200 lines patch to this new Kernel.

Also, Why isn't possible to port a cyanogen kernel?

Sorry if this are too noob foi you.

Thanks, and Best Regards,

Francisoc

Edited by Lord_Snake

Will give this a spin tomorrow as it's 3:30am my clock B)

Cheers! :angry:

I looks like my build is working without the VM crashing on me this time, the make oldconfig asked did I want to include 5mp camera support for the blade so that a good sign :unsure:

Ill upload the zImage if I can get it built... and possibly a boot.img if I have the time

Guest t0mm13b
I looks like my build is working without the VM crashing on me this time, the make oldconfig asked did I want to include 5mp camera support for the blade so that a good sign :unsure:

Ill upload the zImage if I can get it built... and possibly a boot.img if I have the time

Uhmmm.... would that work with 3.2Mp camera?

Thing is - and I do not understand why the discrepancy - under japanese jelly/sebastien's rom, address base is 0x002A0000, so why the current froyo expects it to be 0x00260000?

I'd gather it has to do with the chinese handset that has a boot loader at that specified address?

Cheers!

Hi, sorry the questions, but I'm a totally noob that just very recently started to use and android phone.

Just wanted to know if isn't possible to add the famous 200 lines patch to this new Kernel.

Also, Why isn't possible to port a cyanogen kernel?

Sorry if this are too noob foi you.

Thanks, and Best Regards,

Francisoc

This patch? https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/10/19/123

Has anyone else ported it to a 2.6.32 Kernel?

Is there any performance improvement for android handsets?

Re using another kernel:

The Kernel needs to support a the hardware on the handset, most handsets vary in hardware design at a lot of different levels so an cyanogen kernel that doesnt have support for the HW of the blade may not fully work (or at all).... the android system on the other hand potentially needs drivers in its structure but should be usable with a fully compatible Kernel running on a handset (with relatively minor tweaking).

this is a link to the android block diagram so you can get a better picture of the relationship http://developer.android.com/images/system-architecture.jpg

Uhmmm.... would that work with 3.2Mp camera?

Thing is - and I do not understand why the discrepancy - under japanese jelly/sebastien's rom, address base is 0x002A0000, so why the current froyo expects it to be 0x00260000?

I'd gather it has to do with the chinese handset that has a boot loader at that specified address?

Cheers!

I believe its additional support for the 5mp camera (a lot of other HW elements including camera sensors were already selected in the old config) so the 3.2 should work.

I assume the base address discrepancy is to do with the address specified by in the boot.img differing from the compiled address, check with fibblesan to be sure :unsure:

e.g this mkbootimg --base 0x2A00000 --kernel zImage --ramdisk ramdisk.gz -o boot.img needs to match the Kconfig

Edited by sawta

Guest gameSTICKER

Would be really exciting to see that patch applied in Blade Kernels. Link http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...video&num=1

Topic briefly touched here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...eduler-patches/ I believe that is suffers from 'no visible benchmark results' syndrome. But someone has to experiment and tell. Once devs upload their cleaned up kernel source, I can try integrating :unsure:

Edited by gameSTICKER

I see you're involved with porting Cyanogenmod to the pulse. What are the resources you have for the pulse, which make this possible, that we don't have for the blade?

The problem with the Blade is that the telephony framework (which interfaces with RIL) has been modified. The telephony and RIL bits are different between AOSP and CAF, with the Pulse it works with the AOSP setup (which I think is true for most devices). The Blade doesn't work with either. It is definitely possible to get RIL working in custom roms, we just need to understand what is different in the RIL setup and change the code to suit. Unfortunitely that is easy said then done.

The problem with the Blade is that the telephony framework (which interfaces with RIL) has been modified. The telephony and RIL bits are different between AOSP and CAF, with the Pulse it works with the AOSP setup (which I think is true for most devices). The Blade doesn't work with either. It is definitely possible to get RIL working in custom roms, we just need to understand what is different in the RIL setup and change the code to suit. Unfortunitely that is easy said then done.

Someone did an AOSP 2.1 port for the blade by using the ZTE framework, maybe that will work for Cyanogen/AOSP 2.2??

Wonder if he will share his build tree for 2.1.