New Kernel's Fixed WiFi

Guest jamidodger1

Guest buneech
Well the WiFi is reconnecting every time for me and if I set the sleep policy never to turn wifi off then when I wake the phone up the wifi is still connected. So I think it's working fine :unsure:

Are you willing to share the boot.img? B)

Edited by buneech

Guest oh!dougal
Perhaps ZTE understand that doing so will make the phone a paper weight in an hour...

Er, no.

The wifi chip used in the Blade/SF boasts of its low power standby capability, but the trouble is that ZTE don't seem to take advantage of that mode, just turning it on or off. (This was discussed in another thread.)

If they cannot (because of hardware limitation or whatever) deliver "WiFi Sleep Policy: Never" then one honest thing to do would be to simply change the menu text to "Never - if on charge"

When I posted

its a pity that the distinction between fast reconnection and maintaining a connection should not be understood by so many.

I was referring not to ZTE, but to the opening of this thread with comments like -

Japanese Jellyfish And New Kernel And Wifi Off When Sleep Seems To Be Gone.

and the comical or depressing regularity with which new threads claiming or demanding this functionality are started by 'innocents'.

Guest Simon O
If they cannot (because of hardware limitation or whatever) deliver "WiFi Sleep Policy: Never" then one honest thing to do would be to simply change the menu text to "Never - if on charge"

That's why there is another setting that says "Never when plugged in" which means the same as "Never if on charge"

Guest oh!dougal
That's why there is another setting that says "Never when plugged in" which means the same as "Never if on charge"

Quite.

But my point is that the same is currently achieved by two differently labelled settings.

Perhaps I should have said that the really honest thing to do would be to just remove the "Never" setting, because ZTE have never offered that result.

Guest sumdumguy

This really needs fixing, first priority imo.

The only way I keep wifi alive is to set the screen to never turn off... can't believe ZTE/Orange themselves haven't fixed this as the same bug is present with stock firmware. Spoils the whole phone.

I've also found that with the hungarian "memory fix" and JJ5 the wifi still disconects when the phone sleeps :D One improvement I have noticed though is that pings to the phone seem to be a lot better.

Guest wiffeltje
This really needs fixing, first priority imo.

The only way I keep wifi alive is to set the screen to never turn off... can't believe ZTE/Orange themselves haven't fixed this as the same bug is present with stock firmware. Spoils the whole phone.

You can get the same result by using "Captivate Keep Alive" without leaving your screen on. It prevents the CPU from going into 'deep sleep' mode and that seems to keep the WIFI alive (at least on my ZTE Blade).

But be warned ... Leaving the WIFI on all the time will of course drain the battery pretty fast.

Guest sumdumguy
You can get the same result by using "Captivate Keep Alive" without leaving your screen on. It prevents the CPU from going into 'deep sleep' mode and that seems to keep the WIFI alive (at least on my ZTE Blade).

But be warned ... Leaving the WIFI on all the time will of course drain the battery pretty fast.

thx i give that a go later

Guest sumdumguy

nice, it actually works.. i can keep my wifi alive intentionally with the screen off at last :D

thanks

Edited by sumdumguy

Guest wiffeltje
I've never had the WiFi problem either with 2.1 or 2.2 so it makes me wonder if it's maybe hardware related...

No 'problems' with my WiFi either. The WiFi gets reconnected quite fine after waking up.

But when the screen turns off, the ZTE Blade goes into sleep mode and turns off the WiFi. That prevents e.g. Skype to continue to work or mails to be delivered. As far as I know, this is the case with all ZTE Blades and no solution yet.

The previous remark about the 'Captivate Keep Alive' is just about that. It's a quick fix preventing the ZTE Blade going into 'deep sleep' and turning off WiFi.

Edited by wiffeltje

Guest Skillganon

New Kernel's Broke WiFi

Before my Wifi is to stay connected pretty well even when I leave it idle for a few minutes now with the new kernel (Japanese Jelly Fish) my Wifi keeps disconnecting when after a few minutes when I am not doing anything. Mines Sleep policy is set to never. Anyone know what could be causing it?

Edited by Skillganon

Just some observations based on my Wifi experiences....

Since getting my blade mid Dec I've run with the customised Bladevillain ROM (Eclair), and I have been lucky to find that WiFi stays connected even when the phone sleeps. Emails etc get notified as they arrive. This is connected to a BT voyager 2091 router.

I've tried a couple of other routers when visiting family over Christmas, and found that with both (a Thomson and another brand which I can't remember) I lost Wifi as soon as the phone slept, but with fairly quick reconnection on wake up (the Rom include Blade Wifi fix & WiFi keep alive from the market).

Last week I tried switching to Seb404's 2.2 ROM, and then found that my Blade now lost WiFi on sleep with the Voyager 2091 (not able to try the other routers). I tried adding the 2 Wifi fix utilities as per the 2.1 ROM I had been using, but still had the same problem.

I am therefore now back on 2.1 with a solid WiFi connection when at home.

So the situation is somewhat confusing - it is router dependent, and ROM dependent as well... I may try the JJ 2.2 ROM but don't hold out much hope... I'm just thankful that I have 1 combination of ROM & router that works!

Edited by nre

Guest sto1911
Well the WiFi is reconnecting every time for me and if I set the sleep policy never to turn wifi off then when I wake the phone up the wifi is still connected. So I think it's working fine :D

Would you (and everybody else stating working wifi) mind sharing the name and version of the ROMs you are using?

Edited by sto1911

Guest Magnets
Wifi Fixed after reflashing it with RLS5. So it seems to be something to do with when flashing the rom rather than the rom itself.

Just to be clear, do you mean it reconnects automatically after you turn it back on [i.e. does what blade wifi fix does]. Or is the phone staying connected even when the phone is sleeping (turn screen off, wait 2 seconds then press home/menu button. If the screen turns on, the phone isn't sleeping.)

Just some observations based on my Wifi experiences....

Since getting my blade mid Dec I've run with the customised Bladevillain ROM (Eclair), and I have been lucky to find that WiFi stays connected even when the phone sleeps. Emails etc get notified as they arrive. This is connected to a BT voyager 2091 router.

I've tried a couple of other routers when visiting family over Christmas, and found that with both (a Thomson and another brand which I can't remember) I lost Wifi as soon as the phone slept, but with fairly quick reconnection on wake up (the Rom include Blade Wifi fix & WiFi keep alive from the market).

Last week I tried switching to Seb404's 2.2 ROM, and then found that my Blade now lost WiFi on sleep with the Voyager 2091 (not able to try the other routers). I tried adding the 2 Wifi fix utilities as per the 2.1 ROM I had been using, but still had the same problem.

I am therefore now back on 2.1 with a solid WiFi connection when at home.

So the situation is somewhat confusing - it is router dependent, and ROM dependent as well... I may try the JJ 2.2 ROM but don't hold out much hope... I'm just thankful that I have 1 combination of ROM & router that works!

That is very weird, I don't think I've heard of anyone else with wifi staying connected, using any rom.

Guest punkmilitia
I agree.

Never had any problems with r6 of JJ, did with FLB, but never had any WIFI related problems at all with r6 and I don't think I had any with r5 apart from 1 which I just rebooted and it was fine, either way r6 is rock solid in the wifi department.

Guest wiffeltje
I wish we could find a fix to keep the wifi alive all the time.

I do that using "SoftLocker" which prevents the phone to go into “deep sleep”. This also keeps the WIFI connection open.

I also mentioned "Captivate Keep Alive" above. That does pretty much the same thing, but also allows to turn it off if the battery level becomes critical.

Since the phone never goes to full sleep mode like this and WIFI is always on, this eats battery. I disconnected my phone from the charger this morning at 7h30 and by now (16h00) the battery level is at 50%. So, it's OK to get it through the day.

Guest Skillganon
Just to be clear, do you mean it reconnects automatically after you turn it back on [i.e. does what blade wifi fix does]. Or is the phone staying connected even when the phone is sleeping (turn screen off, wait 2 seconds then press home/menu button. If the screen turns on, the phone isn't sleeping.)

That is very weird, I don't think I've heard of anyone else with wifi staying connected, using any rom.

I mean it reconnects automatically after you turn it back on from sleep. Before the Wifi use to lose connection when I am not using any Wifi related activity just the phone being idle with the screen turned on.

I mean it reconnects automatically after you turn it back on from sleep. Before the Wifi use to lose connection when I am not using any Wifi related activity just the phone being idle with the screen turned on.

Is this because Blade has been installed on the new stock rom for everything so they're none the wiser? Seb's rom does it too on mines but I can't see Blade installed anywhere and i didn't re-download it myself...

Guest Ricey155

mine shuts down every phone sleep and then restarts after say 20-30 secs on jappy jelly rls6

not sure but i installed the blade wifi fix - was it needed for this rom ??