Forgotten Android Password

Guest London11

Guest London11

I've forgotten my password, and there's no option to log in with my gmail account (possibly because my wifi is off?). What can I do, you wonderful people?

Guest Swimmerboy
I've forgotten my password, and there's no option to log in with my gmail account (possibly because my wifi is off?). What can I do, you wonderful people?

There is a way to use ADB to re-write the values in one of the databases to turn the password lock off - I'll see if I can find it.

Guest Swimmerboy
Great find.

Yea, had to use it when I had my G1 - it tried to enter the password in my pocket somehow and wouldn't let me in with the Google sign i. :P

After following the steps and rebooting it's just like you selected 'None' (or similar) from the lock menu. Nothing is lost on the phone, the only difference being you'll have to set up a new code/pattern if you want to 'secure' it again. :D

• 2 months later...
Guest StevenHarperUK

That site linked above has moved on ; I have tracked down some info and am putting it here

Pattern Lock.. Defeated! EDIT: updated with step-by-step instructions.

Step 1. Download the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/)

Step 2. Make sure to configure the ADB usb interface drivers (search the forums for more information on this if you're confused.)

Step 3. Plug your G1 into your computer (via usb). (Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging, must be enabled [it is enabled by default in JesusFreke releases i think])

Step 4. Open command prompt and enter the following:

Code:

> adb -d shell

# sqlite3 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

sqlite> update system set value=0 where name='lock_pattern_autolock';

sqlite> .exit

# exit

Step 5. Now power off the phone, and turn it back on. Tada! No more pattern lock.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Also you could try this

The solution is:

enter correct email address

enter "null" (without quotation marks) as password.

You are then prompted to enter a new pattern twice and then you are into our phone without factory reset etc. No data loss.

• 6 months later...
Guest Blackarrow

That site linked above has moved on ; I have tracked down some info and am putting it here

Pattern Lock.. Defeated! EDIT: updated with step-by-step instructions.

Step 1. Download the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/)

Step 2. Make sure to configure the ADB usb interface drivers (search the forums for more information on this if you're confused.)

Step 3. Plug your G1 into your computer (via usb). (Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging, must be enabled [it is enabled by default in JesusFreke releases i think])

Step 4. Open command prompt and enter the following:

Code:

> adb -d shell

# sqlite3 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

sqlite> .exit

# exit

Step 5. Now power off the phone, and turn it back on. Tada! No more pattern lock.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for all the great stuff here and sorry to reopen an old thread, I've tried following your instructions and I'm running into a little problem.

The story so far!

My friends son locked himself out of his Blade by enabling pattern lock and then putting it under his pillow for the night.

During the night his movements caused the phone to lock "Too many pattern attempts!"

Unfortunately his phone is not rooted (although Universal Androot is installed but rooting turned off for safety!).

He can't remember the email address he used to set it up (or even if it was a valid one)!

So I went down the adb route, everything installed fine and I can log into the phone no problem, but I cannot get superuser access to execute the commands to turn off the keyboard lock.

When I type "adb root" I get:

"adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

Also going into the adb shell I get the "{:content:}quot; command prompt and not the "#" superuser command prompt.

Any idea how I can get into the phone with permission to disable keyboard lock?

I'm OK at unix/linux and can't think of a way round this.

Many Thanks

Blackarrow

Guest Blackarrow

OK fixed after a lot of jiggery pokery!

Here is what I did.

I followed this wiki article which worked very well to root the phone (this only worked temporarily, until the next reboot then I had to root it again).

When trying to run sqlite3 I got "command not found", as I had sqlite3.exe on my pc I thought I'd copy the settings.db file over edit it and send it back.

For some reason I only had superuser access from inside the adb shell (on the phone itself) when I tried pulling the settings.db file I was getting "permission denied" even though "adb root" told me I was already superuser. (this may have been because I'm running Win XP 64-bit, but that is just speculation).

So anyway, I went in and did: chmod 666 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db from within the adb shell and I was then able to pull it "adb pull data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"

I then made a back up of the setting file (so I could go back) and carried on with the instructions, when I copied it back and restarted the phone the lock screen was still there!

Soooo! I had a look at the settings.db file using the dump command inside sqlite3 shell ("sqlite3> .dump") and saw an entry named "lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently" which was set to "1".

I set this to "0", copied "settings.db" back to the right place on the phone, restarted the phone and voila!

So just to clarify after

I did

sqlite> update system set value=0 where name='lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently';

That was fun!

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Blackarrow