No multimedia sound on Vega

Guest Logseman

Guest Logseman

Hello there, I'm Logseman, the owner of a new Advent Vega tablet as of today. The device is really impressive and I'm really happy with it, but I'm stumbling with a problem which I haven't seen documented on this forum or on Google.

I installed a full, performance-enhanced package of Paul's r6 Gapps add-on right away (great job, by the way). I did so in a Mac, after some failures in Linux. Once it was installed, I proceeded to watch a youtube video. I noticed there was no sound, and trying to raise up the volume didn't work.

I came to Settings->Sound, and I saw that the Multimedia volume is perpetually off, regardless if I'm on silence mode or not. I could set up a normal volume through this Settings->Sound menu, but the settings won't get saved. Multimedia is constantly muted when I reopen it. I know it's not a hardware defect because I've been able to hear alarm tones.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue, or is there any kind of help I can muster?

Thanks in advance,

Logseman

Guest kiora2
Hello there, I'm Logseman, the owner of a new Advent Vega tablet as of today. The device is really impressive and I'm really happy with it, but I'm stumbling with a problem which I haven't seen documented on this forum or on Google.

I installed a full, performance-enhanced package of Paul's r6 Gapps add-on right away (great job, by the way). I did so in a Mac, after some failures in Linux. Once it was installed, I proceeded to watch a youtube video. I noticed there was no sound, and trying to raise up the volume didn't work.

I came to Settings->Sound, and I saw that the Multimedia volume is perpetually off, regardless if I'm on silence mode or not. I could set up a normal volume through this Settings->Sound menu, but the settings won't get saved. Multimedia is constantly muted when I reopen it. I know it's not a hardware defect because I've been able to hear alarm tones.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue, or is there any kind of help I can muster?

Thanks in advance,

Logseman

I had that, it cleared itself with a power off and on again. Stangly thoughall the system sounds and notifications were fine. I put it down to one of a few flash problems I've had.

Col.

Guest MarioUK

Thanks in advance,

Logseman

I had the exact same problem...Media volume at zero in the system settings, and if i tried to increase it, it just went to zero again when i went back in.

I downloaded a free app from the market called AudioManager Widget which gives you a lot more control over your system volumes plus puts a handy icon in the notification bar. I used that to up the media volume, and worked a treat. Even if you havent got a volume problem i recommend that app anyway!

Mario

Guest aintcrackedityet

Thanks in advance,

Logseman

My son had this also,

After he powered up the vega he stroked the volume lock icon on the screen instead of the screen lock and no matter what settings we ticked there was no mm sounds. The only solution was to power off then on and slide the volume lock back to it's unlock position.

aintcrackedityet

Guest ChocolateRobot
I had the exact same problem...Media volume at zero in the system settings, and if i tried to increase it, it just went to zero again when i went back in.

I downloaded a free app from the market called AudioManager Widget which gives you a lot more control over your system volumes plus puts a handy icon in the notification bar. I used that to up the media volume, and worked a treat. Even if you havent got a volume problem i recommend that app anyway!

Mario

I had AudioManager installed and had this issue (great app by the way). Having AudioManager did not help, in fact I thought it might be the cause. It also set the media volume back to zero / mute every time. Tried a re-install, didn't resolve the issue, but "Power Off and On" did. Maybe the re-install helped?

Judging by the fact that people have had this issue without AudioMangaer installed I am happy the problem must be related to something else. I have not had this issue since.

Guest Logseman

Sadly I spoke too fast. The issue has reappeared. I do have a volume lock on the notification bar. Powering off and on doesn't make it vanish, nor does configuring Audio Manager. The puzzling thing is that whatever volume key I press, it goes to mute.

*Edit* I think I can reproduce the issue. I'll confirm tomorrow and send feedback. Do you have Paul's modifications as well?

Edited by Logseman

Guest ChocolateRobot
Sadly I spoke too fast. The issue has reappeared. I do have a volume lock on the notification bar. Powering off and on doesn't make it vanish, nor does configuring Audio Manager. The puzzling thing is that whatever volume key I press, it goes to mute.

*Edit* I think I can reproduce the issue. I'll confirm tomorrow and send feedback. Do you have Paul's modifications as well?

I got this issue back aswell. Uninstalled AudioManager then "Power Off/ On" fixed it. Reinstalling Audiomanager and "Power Off/ On" didn't work. I think it may be a combination of things, so I'll try messing with the lockscreen mute first.

Guest VodkaWhiteNoise

This has also happened to me.

I think it is when you shutdown whilst still in silent mode.

When you boot back up and switch silent mode off, the Multimedia volume will not save.

You need to reboot with silent mode turned off.

Guest warriorscot

This happens whenever I unmute using extended controls, I think it has something to do with a permissions problem. Fix was to use an app just called volume whenever I start that app its fixed as it can change and save the media volume correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rferrett

I'm having loads of problems not getting any sound out of my vega. It says the volume is up to full but nothing comes out. Have tried putting headphones in and no osund through them either... arrgghh...

Guest rferrett

I'm having loads of problems not getting any sound out of my vega. It says the volume is up to full but nothing comes out. Have tried putting headphones in and no osund through them either... arrgghh...

Guest rferrett

Tried a who new install to 1.06.5 with MCR r6.

No sound whatsoever on anything, either through the speakers or if I put headphones in. I am not all that knowledgeable about Android but does this sound like we are talking about a Hardware fault rather than something to do with the software?

Ralph

Guest ChocolateRobot
Out of intererest does the Vega normally have an on screen indication the headphones are in like on a phone?

Ralph

Nope, nothing on the taskbar to indicate headphones.

Guest rferrett

Hmmm...

Well that is one thing I can rule out then. I am guessing it *must* be a hardware fault then. Seem no other explanation for the no osund whatsoever even though the volume indicator suggests it al all the way up.

Just seems a bit odd.

Oh well...

Rlaph

Guest ChocolateRobot
Anyone?

There's not a lot more you can do. A bit desperate but you could try Audio Manager from the market place to see if it helps, but I would have thought the flash would have taken care of it personally. No one else seems to be coming up with anything so I think you may be taking it back.