How to really start over from scratch?

Guest tcpaulh

Guest tcpaulh

My phone's not well.

Considering all of the messing around I've done with it I figure I should just start over from scratch.

Brief History:-

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 that allows me to roam from T-mobile to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though there's no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

Anyway, I think I've got a corrupt partition somewhere. Running TPT's doesn't seem to help.

Whenever I wipe dalvik cache from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 I get "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)"

Most times when I install a rom (despite wiping from privacy settings and from CWM) I still get stuff from previous installs showing up ie themed elements like circlemod.

Most of this would be fine, I could live with it but recently the phone has become less stable. The simple APN setting for T-mobile doesn't stick anymore, it keeps reverting values to asterisks, without there being any 'Data Switch' type software installed. No APNDroid or JuiceDefender.

Also, holding down the power button gives unpredictable results. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes it goes to lock screen and sometimes it brings up the power options menu. I have to perform a little finger dance to get it to do what I want. heh.

I like troubleshooting (I'm an ops analyst) but every now and then there comes a point where you just want to nuke it all and start over. But how?

Thing is I've tried a few TPT's with different partition sizes and I'm still getting these probs.

So I just tried (for the first time) to 'downgrade' to Fillyjonk RLS5 lite (128mb). The install went well without errors but Acore FC's constantly.

So how can I check my partitions out and really start from scratch?

Been troubleshooting this myself for quite a while now but it's time to ask for some help :D

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest panteraz
My phone's not well.

Considering all of the messing around I've done with it I figure I should just start over from scratch.

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 with that allows me to roam my T-mobile SIM to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though theres no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

Anyway, I think I've got a corrupt partition somewhere. Running TPT's doesn't seem to help.

Whenever I wipe dalvik cache from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 I get "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)"

Most times when I install a rom (despite wiping from privacy settings and from CWM) I still get stuff from previous installs showing up ie themed elements like circlemod.

Most of this would be fine, I could live with it but recently the phone has become less stable. The simple APN setting for T-mobile doesn't stick anymore, it keeps reverting values to asterisks, without there being any 'Data Switch' type software installed. No APNDroid or JuiceDefender.

Also, holding down the power button gives unpredictable results. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes it goes to lock screen and sometimes it brings up the power options menu. I have to perform a little finger dance to get it to do what I want. heh.

I like troubleshooting (I'm an ops analyst) but every now and then there comes a point where you just want to nuke it all and start over. But how?

Thing is I've tried a few TPT's with different partition sizes and I'm still getting these probs.

So I just tried (for the first time) to 'downgrade' to Fillyjonk RLS5 lite (128mb). The install went well without errors but Acore FC's constantly.

Been troubleshooting this myself for quite a while now but it's time to ask for some help :D

I am also questioning the same. How can I wipe everything and install a new clen rom .

Guest oh!dougal
My phone's not well.

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 that allows me to roam from T-mobile to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though there's no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

There's probably more than one thing going on.

The TPT is a total spring clean of what is on your phone.

But not your sdcard. If you've been playing with moving stuff to sd, that stuff will persist through TPT, and come back to haunt you if you've been going from 2.1 to 2.2

And the same goes for backed up 2.1 apps restored to a phone now running 2.2 - asking for trouble, it seems. And as for restoring backups of 2.1 settings onto a 2.2 system, well, that could lead to stuff like your APN wierdnesses.

"Theme Elements" like the circle battery are not going to persist (and work) through shifting partitions. But the circle battery is a STANDARD part of kallt_kaffe's recent roms. So re-installation is more likely than persistence.

If you clear /data then that will remove the Dalvik cache.

If you've just wiped the partition holding it, then its inevitable that the file cannot then be found.

Power button. First make sure the back is on properly. It needs to be lined up at the switch end first, "hooked over" the switch - not just pressed straight down, and then clipped along the sides, finishing by pressing together the mouthpiece end of the phone.

Its their mistake that the manual doesn't explain this properly.

But, if the back is not on properly, the switch can't work properly.

So, regarding software, I'd suggest that you

- clean out and reformat your sdcard

- install a straightforward, no fuss rom, by TPT. Maybe Swedish Snow (a recent 2.1 from kk).

- and nothing else, (except any real essentials from Market), particularly don't restore ANY backups, until you've used the phone enough to be confident of its stability.

If it still behaves strangely like that, restore stock software and send it back under warranty.

Otherwise, off you go again ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks oh!dougal. I've tried to be careful about what I leave on the SD card but your advice, as usual, is sound. Trying it now.

I am interested to see how you get on - may add a how to if its good,

Guest tcpaulh
I am interested to see how you get on - may add a how to if its good,

TPTing and SD clearing have revirginised my phone.

I threw in a slow SD format for good measure.

Any problems remaining are quality issues ie quality of data service and power button quality. Even my data service is almost back to how it was. No more asterisks appearing/disappearing in APN settings. T-Mobile/Orange must just be having some issues where I am. Got "Web page not available" first time I tried this reply. If only tpt could improve local coverage eh?

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest schteffe

Please do make some kind of how-to out of this where you explain to us who don't understand what TPT etc is :D

I want to try this myself, since my phone keeps acting weird regardless of what ROM I'm running.

Guest oh!dougal
Please do make some kind of how-to out of this where you explain to us who don't understand what TPT etc is :D

I want to try this myself, since my phone keeps acting weird regardless of what ROM I'm running.

Total Phone Transplant is my shorthand for using the installer that ZTE used to apply the official Hungarian update that unlocked the ram on those phones to use all their 512mb (ie ~415mb ram available to programs).

The installer's payload (what rom & recovery it installs) is a matter of personal convenience. (You could install a stock Hungarian rom and recovery, but unless that's your preferred starting point, why choose that?)

KK uses that installer to change the phone's storage partitioning. See Post #1 of the Jellyfish or Snow threads.

Seven has already written a guide.

I believe (to avoid possible serious weirdness) that its VERY important to take the precaution of checking the downloads MD5 checksum, to make certain that there were no download errors, BEFORE installing.

Steven's install guide describes methods of MD5 checking for different computer systems.

I prefer to use Astro File Manager (free from Market) and do it on the phone. View the download's "Details" and wait a few seconds while it calculates the MD5.

I suspect that much of tcpaulh's software weirdness may have come from restoring backups of 2.1 stuff (esp settings) after installing 2.2 ... (or vice versa) and then backing them up again and installing to a fresh system. Weirdness would be cumulative!