Compiling 2.6.32-9 kernel for m860

Guest isaacj87

Guest isaacj87

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, but not to Android. :D I'm looking for Huawei specific help and hopefully I can find it here.

I've finally managed to build a working recoveries for the m860 (Huawei Ascend), both Clockwork and Amon-Ra. With CWR going into ROM manager soon, I'd like to start building custom ROMs for our little device. I've been researching and I've found that the stock kernel the m860 has might be able to handle Froyo, but I'd like to get 2.6.32 working for our device. I have a couple set of questions, some specific to kernel building, some to the phone itself, and some to building Froyo.

First, I'll ask about the phone:

I've read around (on these forums as well) that the m860 is the Pulse. The u8230 is similar, but has slightly worse specs than the m860. The only phone I found to be the exact same is the c8600. I've be trying to determine was what processor this phone is running. Some sites say it's m7x25 based (528mhz) while others m7x27(600mhz). So, which is it? What UK Huawei phone is the closest in relation to the m860/c8600?

Second, about kernel building:

I've dowloaded the kernel source (2.6.32) from a myriad of places. I've tried CM's kernel, still looking for AOSP's android-msm-2.6.32, and downloaded the Froyo kernel for the u8150. I figured I'd start with the u8150. I imported config settings like so:

make ARCH=arm hw_msm7x25_defconfig

then, I use menuconfig to cherry pick some specifics for the m860 which I found from the /.config I pulled from the phone itself. The build goes just fine (and I saw m860 in the source) and I use a ramdisk I've stole from the m860 boot.img and I make a new boot.img and flash. The kernel boots fine in a timely manner and everything seems okay at first. When you finally get into Android the following things work:

- RIL

- Sound

- Battery

The following things don't work correctly:

- Hardware keys (call, menu, back, end)

- Jogball

- The touchscreen doesn't work at all. I see Android, but cannot interact with any elements

- Power button suspends/lock the phone, but cannot be brought back up

- Wifi, I'm assuming

I'm a doing something completely wrong? Has anyone been able to build the froyo kernel for the Pulse? or any other phone than the u8150? Should I just go on Code Aurora and use the android-msm-2.6.32 found there?

Lastly, ROM building:

What would be the best source for a froyo ROM? Should I use AOSP or CM?

I know that I've posted this in the Pulse forum, I apologise if I've tread on the wrong territory. I see such a thriving support for the Pulse here and I was hoping some gurus can help a new Android dev in the right direction. :P

Edited by isaacj87

Guest Sami Beck
Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, but not to Android. :D I'm looking for Huawei specific help and hopefully I can find it here.

I've finally managed to build a working recoveries for the m860 (Huawei Ascend), both Clockwork and Amon-Ra. With CWR going into ROM manager soon, I'd like to start building custom ROMs for our little device. I've been researching and I've found that the stock kernel the m860 has might be able to handle Froyo, but I'd like to get 2.6.32 working for our device. I have a couple set of questions, some specific to kernel building, some to the phone itself, and some to building Froyo.

First, I'll ask about the phone:

I've read around (on these forums as well) that the m860 is the Pulse. The u8230 is similar, but has slightly worse specs than the m860. The only phone I found to be the exact same is the c8600. I've be trying to determine was what processor this phone is running. Some sites say it's m7x25 based (528mhz) while others m7x27(600mhz). So, which is it? What UK Huawei phone is the closest in relation to the m860/c8600?

Second, about kernel building:

I've dowloaded the kernel source (2.6.32) from a myriad of places. I've tried CM's kernel, still looking for AOSP's android-msm-2.6.32, and downloaded the Froyo kernel for the u8150. I figured I'd start with the u8150. I imported config settings like so:

make ARCH=arm hw_msm7x25_defconfig

then, I use menuconfig to cherry pick some specifics for the m860 which I found from the /.config I pulled from the phone itself. The build goes just fine (and I saw m860 in the source) and I use a ramdisk I've stole from the m860 boot.img and I make a new boot.img and flash. The kernel boots fine in a timely manner and everything seems okay at first. When you finally get into Android the following things work:

- RIL

- Sound

- Battery

The following things don't work correctly:

- Hardware keys (call, menu, back, end)

- Jogball

- The touchscreen doesn't work at all. I see Android, but cannot interact with any elements

- Power button suspends/lock the phone, but cannot be brought back up

- Wifi, I'm assuming

I'm a doing something completely wrong? Has anyone been able to build the froyo kernel for the Pulse? or any other phone than the u8150? Should I just go on Code Aurora and use the android-msm-2.6.32 found there?

Lastly, ROM building:

What would be the best source for a froyo ROM? Should I use AOSP or CM?

I know that I've posted this in the Pulse forum, I apologise if I've tread on the wrong territory. I see such a thriving support for the Pulse here and I was hoping some gurus can help a new Android dev in the right direction. :P

Use AOSP

Guest isaacj87

Can someone at least tell me if Huawei removes other code that would be related to my m860/c8600?

I looked at the config file for the u8150 and m860 is still listed when trying to build the kernel...

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...
Guest Diamond Heart

:D Hello ! I am new to this forum. In my country Huawei C8600 CDMA and C8500 CDMA are popular Android CDMA phones. I want to know if there any custom rom for C8600 ? If you are developing custom rom for that phone, I am very happy. I want a custom rom for C8600 that support multi-touch and allow all apps to install on sd card.Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...