Cyanogen Mod 7 For Blade

Guest olionair

I'd be curious to know more details about how you know the telephony framework has changed? (i.e. things just don't compile?)

You can de-compile the framework, I guess someone has done this and spotted changes. Someone posted that they were working on differencing the zte framework against AOSP but nothing since.

Guest IronDoc
You can de-compile the framework, I guess someone has done this and spotted changes. Someone posted that they were working on differencing the zte framework against AOSP but nothing since.

Apparently there are too many changes and so this doesn't work (just repeating what I've read). Or it's very difficult...

There was some reason anyway :/

If anyone can tell me how to go about diff'ing the two frameworks then I could put some time into doing it.

You can use dex2jar to convert the .dex files inside the apk files to .class files, then use jd-gui to view the source. Jd-gui has a feature to save the source files but this crashes making it difficult to get hold of all of the source in a form suitable to differencing. NB also that due to optimisations performed when compiling the source, the sequence of statements in the decompiled version may be incorrect, however the same incorrect sequence is likely to be found in the decompiled stock version and zte version so differencing will ignore that unless there are actual differences in which case you would have to use judgement to work out the correct flow.

Another option is to use APKTool to decompile to smali (I think that's the name), it the "assembly" language used by the "java"/Dalvik virtual machine (I think), I haven't worked out how to get that output yet though.

In order to compare you obviously have to get the stock framework, I did this by getting from the appropriate AOSP branch for FRF91 (the version of android on the blade) "android2.2-rel1" or something similar ( I can't remember off hand).

We don't really need ALL changes that ZTE made, just the ones that make RIL work, these are thought to be in Phone.apk and the framework jar file.

Edited by rjm2k

Another option is to use APKTool to decompile to smali (I think that's the name), it the "assembly" language used by the "java"/Dalvik virtual machine (I think), I haven't worked out how to get that output yet though.

apktool.bat d Phone.apk

After that a folder named "Phone" will be created in the current directory and you will find smali code in "smali" folder.

apktool.bat d Phone.apk

After that a folder named "Phone" will be created in the current directory and you will find smali code in "smali" folder.

Thanks, I assume it works for Jar files too?

Guest isambard
We were listening. (Or at least I was). From what I gleamed from your posts : Android's Radio Interface Layer (RIL) provides an abstraction layer between Android telephony services (android.telephony) and radio hardware. You can see from the diagram that the Kernel and the RIL are quite separate.

telephony.gif

While the Kernel is open-source large parts of Android can be modified without releasing source or information. I think from reading normally the hardware customisation is done only in the vendor RIL (system/libs/libril_vendor.so) but on the Blade for some reason ZTE have modified the telephony framework (java/android/telephony). This makes telephony and RIL interfaces for the Blade different to AOSP used by CM.

If we could work out why and how they changed the telephony framework then we could modify AOSP but that is a difficult task unless ZTE developers give us the information.

Is that right?

I'd be curious to know more details about how you know the telephony framework has changed? (i.e. things just don't compile?)

actually, i would also be interested to know what exactly the problem is.

i assume that the vendor RIL library is not compiled into the kernel (for GPL reasons) but rather in a separate library and that we can use the pre-compiled library with our own modified kernels. ditto for the ril daemon.

the last link is then the application framework and how this interfaces the ril daemon. i guess it's not as simple as compiling the rest of android and substituting the telephony and gsm from the ZTE versions otherwise someone would have done this already. am i right?

then is it a case of having to write a layer to translate either the telephony part or gsm part?

Yeah CM7 is based on 2.3... We won't get ports of any other roms until we get RIL working properly.

On a side note where is your username from?

Me?

Well my username is a name from an ice fairy called Cirno, why :D?

I don't know much about how RIL work

Some people mentioned Phone.apk , AFAIK in flibblesan latest rom he used the AOSP dailer. I don't know if he complied himself . I think he is used RIL with aosp code.

Guest sebbo90

Would it be too difficult then to compile our own version of ril so that it would work with aosp? Or could we not use the ril version from the HTC legend roms as they both use the same chipset?

apktool.bat d Phone.apk

I just get this error on ubuntu, probably wrong version of java, maybe I'll try windows instead - nope that gives the same error.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Edited by rjm2k

I just get this error on ubuntu, probably wrong version of java, maybe I'll try windows instead - nope that gives the same error.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file

I had no problems baksmaling Phone.apk.

EDIT: Have you installed the framework files for apktool to use?

Edited by pellen

Guest sebbo90

I had no problems baksmaling Phone.apk.

EDIT: Have you installed the framework files for apktool to use?

How's the decompiling going? Is this anyone can do? Just after tonight I have 5 days off and nought to do

How's the decompiling going? Is this anyone can do? Just after tonight I have 5 days off and nought to do

With APKtool it's easy to decompile, but then fiddling about with the decompiled files isn't my cup of tea, I suck at programming :D

Guest sebbo90
With APKtool it's easy to decompile, but then fiddling about with the decompiled files isn't my cup of tea, I suck at programming :D

I am ok at it, I have time on my hands so would be glad to help and try and hopefully port an AOSP android to the blade. When the files are decompiled what needs to be done with them? What language are they in? Which files whould I be looking at?

(sorry for all the questions)

Guest oh!dougal
... What language are they in? ...

I gather that the idea is to disassembe (baksmali) the ZTE ril layer to smali which is the assembler for Android's Java Virtual Machine "Dalvik".

So that's what that territory entails.

But I'm not sure exactly what the problem definition is.

Seems to be -

There's a complete AOSP source. But that doesn't talk to our radio hardware.

Our kernel source does talk to our radio hardware, but the radio part of the open source build doesn't talk to our kernel, and thus cannot talk to our hardware.

{Please feel free to correct or amplify this, I'm just trying to set it out plainly}

Precisely how that is best tackled, I don't think people have agreed upon.

Is it modifying the ZTE layer that talks to the kernel?

Or trying to translate the AOSP calls into things our kernel knows about?

Or looking at the working kernel source together with the AOSP kernel source to accept the calls that AOSP makes ...

Edited by oh!dougal

I gather that the idea is to disassembe (baksmali) the ZTE ril layer to smali which is the assembler for Android's Java Virtual Machine "Dalvik".

So that's what that territory entails.

But I'm not sure exactly what the problem definition is.

Seems to be -

There's a complete AOSP source. But that doesn't talk to our radio hardware.

Our kernel source does talk to our radio hardware, but the radio part of the open source build doesn't talk to our kernel, and thus cannot talk to our hardware.

{Please feel free to correct or amplify this, I'm just trying to set it out plainly}

Precisely how that is best tackled, I don't think people have agreed upon.

Is it modifying the ZTE layer that talks to the kernel?

Or trying to translate the AOSP calls into things our kernel knows about?

Or looking at the working kernel source together with the AOSP kernel source to accept the calls that AOSP makes ...

the framework.jar seems to have been modified kn some way to setup ril. without that modification aosp framework.jar wont setup ril so its a matter of spoting those changes and copying thrm to an aosp build.

Anyone just asked zte for the RIL library source code? lol

zte struggle to release code they are obliged to, ril belongs to qualcomm and is closed source so no way it will be released.